Warhammer 40K Dark Millenium MMO - Vigil Games

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Tvar, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

GW are pretty harsh on lore I swear I read they delayed a game because the lore was wrong. I can't see them allowing 2 factions to happen there would be outcry :eek:
  2. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

well ironhide orks are easily manipulated so it would be possible
  3. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

It is two factions.

"Side with the forces of Order, or the vile hosts of Destruction, in a war that will unlock ancient secrets, reveal dark purposes, and determine the fate of the Sargos Sector. For in this dark millennium, there is no peace amongst the stars, only war."
    Their own words.
    Sorry guise.
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Well I am no longer interested. Two factions in a 40K setting is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
  5. Offline

That's just bollocks why would they do that it makes no sense lore wise and fucks pvp in the ass before it even gets going.

Urgh idiots!
  6. Offline

How they will do this without breaking IP......
  7. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

The same way actiblizzard managed to get Worgan to ally with the Alliance and Goblins with the Horde. They change the lore to suit them and make up some bullshit reason.

If anyone expected more than 2 factions you were deluding yourselves, the devs know that the target audience is the same as WoW players and soon TOR players, aka the geekier gamers. Those who would play D&D, would play Warhammer and know all the words to star wars. Because of this they will be too scared to do anything other than release a game which feels familiar to a wow player.

Sad but true, mmos of IPs we love as the geekier gamers will be catered to the wow crowd in a bid to pull subs from it. They forget that there is a large group of people who like the IP but are shit tired of WoW style games.
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Well fuck that then!
  9. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I feel sorry for Tvar, he will cry at this news. He was looking forward to this game so much.
  10. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

is there any mmos that tried having more than 2 playable factions yet? and im not talking about eve
  11. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

12. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

i never played dark age of camelot so tell the the story mask <3
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

DAoC had 3 playable factions. Darkfall had none which led to 10+ player alliances. AoC was all multiple player alliances. TERA is all multiple player allliances. With what we have seen of ArcheAge, it will be player alliances (if we translated correctly). Aion had 3, but yea, only 2 playable so it doesn't really count. Funcoms new one The Secret World will have 3 factions, all playable.

Fact is, you NEED 3 or more distinct groups of players to sustain world PvP. This stops the Faction A beating Faction B, so faction B quit. Because... when faction B is losing, they get faction C to help out, then they become a super faction. Then arguments happen, they fall out with each other and it all goes tits up and explodes into more PvP.

Personally I love factionless as the PvP of multiple player alliance games like Darkfall and EvE is a million times more epic than any two faction WoW clone I have played. The only reason to do two factions these days is pure lazyness from the developers. They know it will attract the WoW crowd and get them box sales and a enough subs to make the whole project worthwhile (RIFT anyone?). It really is pathetic. Unless your restricted by the IP to two factions (ie. SWTOR) then it really should not be even considered.
  14. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Well said, I was surprised that post contained 0 % bias, 90% truth, 10% uncertainty.
  15. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

I was actually the one who brought these news up (Mask confirmed it). Sure sounds boring with two factions, weird with non-craft world eldars etc, but until it's been seen, tried and tested by people I trust (myself), I'll stay optimistic..because I can. :s Can't be worse than RIFT eh? And I played that for a month. :p
  16. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

well i trust in the swedes now, DICE has proven even swedes are awesome
  17. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

link to that ?

also, it was quite obvious a teaser for the real trailer (if we get to see it now or not I dont know) so I dont see a reason to get all upset over it. but yeah, two faction sucks, it should have been FFA all the way.
  18. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

19. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

Today Vigil posted their available job listings on facebook, a few of which were for DMO. Underneath you will find the write up for a DMO level designer job. Some of the more interesting things to note are that they are really asking for shooter and single player shooter esperience quite a bit.

Another interesting point is how much the emphasize "single player" in their descriptions.

Job Description:
    Vigil Games is seeking a Level Designer with strong design sense, level building skills, and a thorough understanding of games and game play mechanics for our MMO, Warhammer 40K Dark Millennium Online. We’re looking for a fast spatial builder with an innate savviness for both shooter and RPG/MMO combat spaces. The Level Designer will work with other members of the team while taking direction from the Lead Level Designer in creating an AAA MMO.
    Core Responsibilities
    Construct level prototypes and final in-game levels using Vigil’s game building tools

Assist with development of instance designs from concept to completion

• Offer creative ideas and suggestions for game environments with a keen eye for detail at every step
    • Troubleshoot and iterate on game environments to ensure great play experiences
    • Polish and adjust environments to ensure the product’s critical and commercial success
    • Capture the spirit of the Warhammer 40,000 Dark Millennium Online universe
    Skills & Qualifications
    • 3 to 6 years of game industry experience -or- absolutely top notch mod community work
    • Strong understanding of the fundamentals of game and level design
    • Demonstrable success in creating compelling game play, scenarios, activities, and encounters for single player
    • Previous design experience on a shipped game title
    • Good verbal and written communication skills
    • Ability to visualize and bring to fruition game environments using various tools and technology
    • Art experience a plus
    • Scripting experience a plus (either visual or code)
    • Height field terrain experience a plus
    • Single Player map design for Shooters and/or RPGs a plus
    • An avid gamer with a passion for both MMOs and or Shooters
    • ***NOTE*** All applicants MUST include screen shots of their work with descriptions. This can be achieved by sending us a link to your website or by including an attachment with your resume. Applications without samples will not be reviewed.
    http://vigilgames.com/jobs
  20. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

The combat is crosshair based.