TERA - KR OBT impressions

Discussion in 'TERA' started by Specter, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

The Airon would kick both their asses
  2. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

i soooo should have seen this one coming ... next time i need to edit the pics :p
  3. Offline

Ebel Veteran BOON

This game actually look decent after watching some gameplay vids from korean beta, it impressed me more then Aion 3 years ago + I saw a CTF battleground so we don't have to worry about pvp I hope.
  4. Offline

WAR BGs were awesome, such a shame the rest of it failed, but those kind of BGs are win, compared to say WoWs
  5. Offline

Ebel Veteran BOON

PvE some lvl 10 qeust need to kill this gaint boss solo I gues?
    Guy had to kite this boss apperantly, Slayers got low agillity at low lvl.
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

From what I remember, Warhammer Online BG types were ;
    (now I haven't played in like two years so there may be new ones, going on when I played last)
    • Capture The Flag
    • Domination
    • King Of The Hill
    • Murder Ball

Capture the flag being, well capture the flag. Serpents Passage.... zzzzz...
    Domination being the one where you had to cap bases and they gave you points over time. Gates Of Ekrund used this mechanic. It also had catapults for the Orcs. :D
    King Of The Hill being the one where you had to cap a flag and run it to bases to give you points ? The Stonetroll Crossing one ?
    Murder Ball being the one where you race to pick up an item and then the person who gets it gets points for their team the whole time they are in possesion. They deal more damage when holding it, but take more damage when holding it too. Mourkain Temple was the best of these types.

WoW battleground types;
    (based on playing it last week)
    • Capture the flag
    • Domination
    • Domination-CTF hybrid
    • Vehicle Gauntlet
    • Base Race
    • Base Race with Vehicles

Capture the Flag being capture the flag as usual, WSG, Twin Peaks.
    Domination being as above in Warhammer, AB, Gillneas.
    Domination-CTF hybrid being basically a domination ruleset with the addition of a CTF mechanic that gives teams two options on how to win. Run the flag and hold bases, or go for bases and ignore flag. See; Eye of the Strom.
    Vehicle Gauntlet is where one team has to get through a maze from one side to the other using siege engines and the enemy have high-ground, defensive cannons etc. to stop you. See; Strand Of The Ancients.
    Base Race is what I call the AV style battlegrounds as unlike before when it was more like an instanced PvP zone that could last for days, now its simply a race to see who cap cap towers the fastest and race to the other teams boss and kill it first. Still has a lot of defence play in it, and it currently my favourite of all listed.
    Base Race with vehicles is like AV, but with siege equipment, ie. Isle Of Conquest.

As can be seen, WoW only really has 3 clearly different types of battleground, the others are a combination of the first 3 or with extras added, like siege weaponry.

Warhammer has 4 clearly different types, 2 of which I hadn't seen before, King Of The Hill and Murder Ball.

Out of them all, Murder Ball was by far the best battleground type and Mourkain Temple still is my favourite battleground of any MMO to date.

Biggest problem I have is that there was only like 3 or 4 battlegrounds that used the murder ball mechanic, and Mourkain temple was the only one that ever popped, and after level 20 you couldn't do it again.

At endgame in WAR, the battlegorunds were pretty much the same as WoW. You got one CTF being serpents passage, and one Domination being the Battle Of Praag. Nothing else ever popped due to the game having the most retarded mechanics ever.

So in respect to the two games, Warhammer had the most unique and innovative battlegorund ideas, WoW as it always does is simply redoing old designs hoping nobody will notice. However, due to not being able to play the best ones at max level and being limited to only a couple at max level (probably fixed now, I would hope) I would have to say WoW battlegrounds were superior to WAR's simply due to the fact the way WAR's battleground system was designed.

If you compare the two though, there's no real difference in what they offer. One is not massively better than the other, they both have very very similar mechanics in most of their battlegrounds. So to compare WAR to WoW and say WAR is better, or even to say WoW is better, I think your kidding yourself a little. If playing Serpents Passage day after day after day is your thing, then sure, WAR battlegrounds were better, I guess.

I loved WAR and I only really play WoW to pass the time, so if anything I would have wanted WAR to succeed and beat WoW, fact is, it didn't because apart from one or two small things, it as a terrible terrible game. Good concept, terrible execution.

On a side note, I think we should start a campaign to get the "Murder Ball" battleground type put in to all the upcoming MMOs tbh. ;)

As for TERA, I can't see it doing as well as Aion did, despite it having spammable instanced PvP (if your right about that CTF Ebel). Reason for me thinking it will not succeed is because it just looks too good graphically. There is no way that those graphics are going to run on 80% of the current MMO players machines. Also, imagine if there is sieges like Aion, imagine the lagg with a world as detailed as that. I can see TERA being a pretty amazing game, but I don't think it will be the next big thing. :(

PS. If they give away free posters with the game box, Pete will probably buy a few thousand copies to wallpaper his room, so the game might end up selling loads of copies. :p
  7. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

Usually king of the hill is the one where you have to capture a point and hold it for some time while preventing the other team from re-capturing it back
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

That was my understanding of the mechanic, but apparently their version of King of the Hill was the system they used in Stonetroll Crossing, which was as I described.

Either way, Murder Ball was the only thing that I thought was soooo good that I would want it in future games.
  9. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Considering like 99% of BOON (yes you too) said "lol Rift suxx" 3 weeks ago I wouldn't judge too soon.. Makes you look stupid. :p
  10. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Still not impressed by RIFT tbh, reason im excited is because we're restarting the guild up and thats always fun. But I can see that people are really biased about new MMO's, you should've seen the general chat in the actual game when the beta opened...

Think RIFT's best feature might be that they change things so fast, yet that may end up being a bad thing aswell.

TERA may be good, but I doubt their European Support will be anything decent whatsoever. I dont think the graphical engine will be a problem though, from what I've seen on youtube is that it runs pretty good on average machines.

But im generally a pessimist and it usually changes around once KC starts screaming on vent :p. I will give TERA a go IF there will actually be any servers and decent support as it does look entertaining.
  11. Offline

Mizou Community Member

isnt Frogstar doing Tera EU ? There is not even a EU Beta event....
  12. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Yeah thats exactly what I mean, there has to be servers first and THEN it may be a possible MMO :p
  13. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Yeah BOON > the game. BOON in any game rocks be it Tera, Rift or GW for that matter so agree on that point. Pretty sure there will be a beta for TERA too as we get close to its release.
  14. Offline

Mizou Community Member

as far as i know, there wont be an EU beta
  15. Offline

Sorry shouldn't of compared the two to as they were when we were playing WAR but rather as to how they are now, back then they only had the first 3 BGs plus (Arathi, Alterac, Warsong) plus Arena's, they were all good BG's especially as a druid I used to love warsong.

Entertainment wise WAR was so much better simply due to the mechanics like murder ball, hitting people off the top of Tor Anroc, orc catapults etc, just made them more fun to do it never felt like much of a grind, where as WoW at the time felt like a immense grind to get the next PvP item, and that's all people queued for.

I do miss my SM from WAR, bloody awesome class.
  16. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Only Tor Anroc was fun, and only if you had a knockback or were an Ironbreaker. The rest of WAR was ''meh''.
  17. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Gates of Ekrund and Mourkain Mountain were both awesome as well, the rest were all bad.
  18. Offline

Tor Anroc is up there with the most fun I have ever had in a game, I remember going their first time as order and facerolling EV and Esraymuk :D

And then being stalked by some strange warrior priest....
  19. Offline

Shantotto Guest

I played engineer so had 3 punts, was freaking awesome.
  20. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

What will he use to stick them to his wall?