SWTOR PvP Facts (from DH)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Saul, May 5, 2011.

1. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

You are, and it is :)

should of carried on playing FE tbh, some brilliant concepts in it but at time of release/beta wasn't much PvP
  2. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

The Dance analogy makes complete sense, if we're talking about even matched teams (or opponents). And you can easily see that kind of "dance" in almost every game. The kiting, the back and forth defensive to offensive transitions... It's something lots of games have. Maybe fallen earth is not the best game to picture that, but i totally get what you're saying.
    Of course that if one of the counterparts is much stronger than the other, then there is no dance at all, there is only the classic steamroll ;)
  3. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

heh I just hope personally there is some sort of small scale PvP in SWTOR too, as I love solo roaming about ganking and love strict 2v2 or duelling. I absolutely hate 3v3 or 5v5 genrally tho, but then like RvR or large scale combat (but prefer to be somewhat having a more important role then just a pawn).
  4. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

Im more of a 5v5 to 16v16 tops kind of guy :)
    Ganking kind of feels stupid to me since the opponent is often unprepared so it doesn't pose a real challenge to it. And 1v1 is just stupid because of the balance (or the non-existence of it) in mmorpgs. Even in FPS games i like team games more than 1v1's...
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Ganking is never balanced, your right. However if the opponent is able to counteract and if he/she knows what they are doing can win him the fight then that's good enough even if the moment of opportunity isn't in his/her favour, if there are no ingame tools to do so purely class vs. class then yea balance is an issue. I always play 1v1 or free for all FPS games btw, I'm one of those people who played Jedi Knight all day duelling people and nothing else trying to aim for a pure 100/0 kill/death ratio before being statisfied.

Also the reason I hate football (teamsport) and I like Tennis :p
  6. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

A game is not good if I can't beat 12 people solo because of my skillz.
  7. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Cc is used once, at the right moment to end a game. A bar is not going to affect that one bit
  8. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

I find it amazing mask writes a few words and saul replies with a 10 pages essay
  9. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

I enjoy Sauls replys they are not hateful or mocking like half of the posts in here and they are actually based on real facts and most importantly hands on experience.
  10. Offline

Saul Community Member

I like to try and get my point across and leave no area of doubt. And I like typing... :)
  11. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Blah blah blah
    What a moron
    TOR is shit
    You're all blinded by the IP
    Trolololol

:p

I enjoy the banter tbh and am quite looking forward to being proven wrong, but provoking unwavering fanaticism is also too much fun to pass up.

Sauls replies are worth poking him with a verbal stick for. Notice that every time we taunt we get more info about the game? You all should thank us haters.
  12. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

well it doesn't take much effort for any MMO to destroy an IP, an MMO usually lasts long, a company focuses a lot on them and less on other games, MMO's usually tend to bend the story and direction to them often making the single player/movie/book feel less important. Basically even the best MMO bends IP's around angle's you don't want them to, but you just have to hope they don't do it too terribly bad. Not to mention DA2 made me doubt their direction as a company. Reasons enough to be concerned without haters tbh.

Its basically this: you don't want Uwe Boll to make a movie out of your favorite game ever!
  13. Offline

Saul Community Member

The thing is I write mammoth posts, I hate doing it, but I cant help myself, once I get started it's like crack :)

@Fizzee I totaly understand the Fan boi Stick Mechanic. the pull is sometimes too great... "All Eastern MMO's are just Peado Grind Fests" Discuss :)
  14. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

[IMG]

Whats your point ? :p

@Fizzee - Saul always makes large posts, thats part of the fun in trolling him, you know you are stealing large chunks of his day by forcing him to type. :evilwave:
  15. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

You're derailing your own SW-fan thread Saul. WHY!? :( I like grinding, for a purpose, that will grant me a significant edge over noobs who cant (be arsed or suck at it). I think its fun to see bubblegummers create "hot chicks" they then try to play with and fail. Eastern MMOs are funneh.
  16. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Since I chose not to reply to the dance analogy earlier I think I'll have to do it now. Yes, you are absolutely right in that a dance is a perfectly fine way to describe how a pvp battle plays out, but I think you are missing a few parts about it. See, in all sorts of real life combat our movements are virtually unlimited. Twitching your sword-wrist outwards might give your opponent an opening in your side, misplacing your foot when having a fight in Judo might put you slightly more off-balance than your opponent. These things are not as true for MMOs, because our movements and their impacts are greatly reduced, as are our choices combat-wise. If we are talking a sword duel you can slash at openings in a multitude of ways, try to wear your opponent down by playing defensively, trying to use a lot of stamina to overwhelm your opponent with speed for a short duration all whilst reading and guessing what your opponent might do. These things are far more fluid, because in for example mmos your movements are (generally) restricted to 2d or in some cases 3d (but even then limited) and as are your viable ways of attacking. See, in real life we obviously have a virtually unlimited amounts of ways we can dance, but only a very select few of those look pretty. In MMOs, not only do we have a limited set of choices (abilities) but not all of them are viable at any given time.

Having a CC bar there will reduce the amount of time you think about CC greatly, since you'll have a visual tool to give you more fluidity, but if you don't compensate that by allowing the dance to be more advanced you'll be losing complexity. GW2 for example has a very limited abilityset but will have many different ways to move around in 2d space, for example dodging attacks by rolling away from them etc. You've taken things from one area (the amount of abilities) but add complexity in another (movement). For example, a good way to compensate for "easier" play would be to reduce the downtime between choices (the GCD). Whilst this balance doesn't _always_ have to be preserved, to cater to both hardcore and casual players you need to finetune it. My fear is that SWTOR caters too much to casuals, and that whilst you might feel immersed you'll be bored with the gameplay. Other games, such as EvE, pile up shit on the complexity-side which lends itself to an amazing game when you're really good at it, but a horrendous wall of information when you're new. Starcraft has extremely easy mechanics to understand, but unlimited "uptime" for things to do, which makes the strategy -> apm interraction very deep.
  17. Offline

Saul Community Member

Lol Aspira... Sad but true.... :(
  18. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Also, I love myself a good ol' long post discussion. /smokes pipe
  19. Offline

Shantotto Guest

I think all posts over 300 characters should be forced to upload a video instead of typing, conveying their message through interpretive dance.
  20. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

Or learn to press enter seriously how hard is it! Have you any idea how hard it is to read that with no enter when your as lazy as I am and on iPhone to!

Enter

ENTER!!!!!