New Rig

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Saul, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Personally I buy Intel processors over AMD becuase they are better, in my own experience. Easier to clock and run nice and cool wthout the need for elaborate cooling solutions. I have a chunky Zalman copper fin heatsink and fan on my i7 atm and it runs nice and cool. Really good cooler and in general, just loving the quality of the Intel range atm.

As for graphics, as much as Fallanx will hate me for saying it, I cannot recommend Nvidia to anyone. I used to use ATI back in the day and after having 2 cards malfunctions and literally melt, and the third card getting stuck in driver hell, I switched to Nvidia. The 7x and 8x cards were great, but the new generation of cards are just bad. I used a 250GTX a 280GTX and a 3x or 4x GTX, not sure on the last, I sold it to a mate, told him it was epic..... But anyway, my experience of the new generation Nvidia cards is that they are loud, require a small nuclear power station to power them, and run hotter than the sun.

Because of this I swapped back to ATI (AMD now) to see if they had improved. I was impressed. Bought a 5850HD and was so impressed I bought a second and run them in crossfire. They are whisper quiet, use very little energy and run about 15 degrees cooler than my old Nvidia card when under load.

EDIT: 2x 5850HD's can run TERA on max settings at 60FPS. Can also run it at around 35~40 with 3x forced AA enabled. Really good cards considering ebuyer were doing deals on them and selling the XFX 5850HD Black Limited Edition for £150 last month. Of course the 6x cards are better in every way, but bang for buck, the 5850HD's are good.
  2. Offline

Mizou Community Member

civ5 cough civ5

edit: its true, nvidia is loud and always 80celcius even without running a game
  3. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I miss my ZX Spectrum 48 O:)
  4. Offline

Shantotto Guest

My 6990 idles around 45, gets up to around 80 under intensive load.
  5. Offline

Angelo Community Member

The 5850s perform better than the 6850s also seems that I can only find 5850s for £200-250 which is the price of a 6950 2g. If I could find those 5850s for £150 I'd grab 2 straight away :p
  6. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

yeah well thats the thing, you either find a cheapass old generation card from a friend or you buy the new generation. They never really drop prices of old gen below the new gen so they are allways stuck on the same price. Tbh they do it better with the Processors, they just make them EOL (End of life) and get rid of them.
  7. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Was a special offer on ebuyer a month or so ago. Not only 5850HD's, but they are the XFX special edition ones.
  8. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Yes, Ill probably end up just getting the 6950s 2Gig.
  9. Offline

Juggernaught Community Member

Sweet man, gratz on the new rig ;)
  10. Offline

Saul Community Member

Cheers Bud, did some nnice overtime last month, and cleared my Credit Card.. lol it only lasted a week :)
  11. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

Ahhh the joy of ordering a mew rig and the impatience till it gets delivered. Enjoy your new pc man and kill those Sith scum !!!
  12. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

I never said ati was bad..its just inferior... like their users..muahha
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

omo!! :p
  14. Offline

Jasra Community Member

i have GFX 560 and in idle have 36°C, which is temperature inside whole case :p

btw dont understand, why someone want buy white case břřřř :cold: i think, something like this case is more classy
    http://fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=52
  15. Offline

Mizou Community Member

i think i need to clean my fan ^^
  16. Offline

Saul Community Member

With respect mate, that case was as bland as a the servers I have in my SAN. I look at grey boxes all day, I certainly don't want one at home.. :p
  17. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I like the case you picked, and according to reviews it's quite good as well. That Phantom looks a lot like a white version of my Silverstone Raven. Massive case mind you. If you buy a case like that there will be a high chance you'll keep it for a very long time, I'm certainly not planning to replace mine before I replace all of the system parts.

(this is the one I've got for 2 years now, looks like a B-2 : http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2710/silverstone_raven_sst_rv01b_w_full_tower_case/index.html )

It makes Batman jealous :p.
  18. Offline

Mizou Community Member

chieftain tower is mine since a long long time
  19. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

yeh im so happy they never bothered with the BTX standard, ATX is fine and I hope it stays :).
  20. Offline

Shantotto Guest

What I like is the new case architecture in general, where PSU goes at the bottom so you get clean airflow over the cpu.