New case and PSU

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Pauleh, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Offline

Zerathu Community Member

Yeah maybe just a bog standard one, no idea what damage it could do long term to components aswell.
  2. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

Meh i really like the look of that fractal case now and would consider buying it separately and then get that gold 550 psu i linked earlier but that would push me past what i was hoping to get away with spending.

Really thinking fuck it and whack the lot on credit card at the mo tho i know i would instantly have buyers remorse afterwards :(
  3. Offline

Zerathu Community Member

You may feel that guilt immediately after but a good power supply will contribute to the life time of your system, worth it for the long term value in my opinion as when it comes to new PC time I would wage that the psu will still be powerful enough to use and still compatible.
  4. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

Case is definitely a dead cert in my mind now, its the psu im questioning, mainly because my current one is fully modular so im thinking a semi one would be annoying unless i use all the connectors which are wired in, which i could possibly see happening because of the case fans and putting atleast 1 more into it.

Also as my current one is 520 watts going for only 550 doesn't really feel like much of an increase even if my current one was probably out before all these bronze etc ratings came in. Looking at a 650w gold semi-modular one as its a couple of quid extra and would most likely be good for a few years hopefully.

Fully mod ones seem quite a jump in price so i ain't sure :|
  5. Offline

Tumbleweed Classic Guild Member

Afaik semi-modular (as opposed to fully modular) usually means that the psu-to-motherboard cables are not removable which imo is..as good as modular since you're pretty much bound to use those :) I would not spend extra money on a psu just because those 2 cables that I won't ever need to remove are removable lol
    You don't really need a psu that exceeds the power demands of your systems by a large margin if it is real power, decent rating and you do not plan to add more gfx cards. If wattage meets/exceeds your needs, quality becomes more important than excess wattage imo
  6. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

Fair shout tho i think i will go the 650 watt one for some extra juice should i want a 2nd gfx card later or whatnot (plus its less than £5 difference) plus it has 4 pci-e connectors whatever that means :p

http://www.ebuyer.com/584216-corsair-csm-650w-semi-modular-80-gold-power-supply-cp-9020077-uk < its this one here
  7. Offline

Zerathu Community Member

Yeah, I'd only go fully modular if your going crazy and want stuff like a fridge motor cooling your pc (which I've seen and its crazy)
  8. Offline

Tumbleweed Classic Guild Member

means that it has the outs and cabling required to power 2 monster GFX cards properly :)
  9. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

Ordered the fractal case last night and i've been told its already come today so thats awesome :)

Just gotta wait till monday for the PSU to arrive, not sure i will need them 4 connectors but its nice to know i have them ready should i decide to go for 2 GFX cards.

Cheers for all the help and advice you guys gave much <3
  10. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

what did you make of the case? I've got a bit of "excess money" from my bike insurance and am looking to splurge a bit on a new case.
  11. Offline

adagio Moderator

Fractal cases are gorgeous. Was always a antec man with leds all over the place but the square fractal case is the best 70 quid i spent in a long time.
  12. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

there's a your mum joke in there dying to be said ........
  13. Offline

adagio Moderator

As in "yours mums way cheaper than £70"
  14. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

the case is decent, bit large compared to my old one, its not as quiet as i was hoping it would be tho :/ but its all up and running atleast \o/
  15. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

oh and i'm being slightly paranoid and stuff but what temp should your cpu and graphics card be? cause i keep flipping the fan control on the front of the case between 12v and 7v to give it more airflow but i don't like the noise increase :)
  16. Offline

adagio Moderator

depends on what gfx and cpu you have.
  17. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

intel i5 2500k and ati hd6870
  18. Offline

adagio Moderator

I have a water cooled overclocked 2500k running at 4.5ghz that is 33c/91f. The 6870 shouldn't overheat at all unless its overclocked too much.
  19. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Pauleh, buy a corsair water cooler for your cpu. Adagio talked me into it, best money ever spent on PC products.
  20. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

Not really got the cash currently plus if anything needs changing next its my desk as I had to do a little deconstructive diy to my current one just to get the beast of a case to fit.

Plus im not even sure its needed, cpu was running between 40 and 50 degrees while playing wow yesterday with the graphics card at 65-70, got a crappy 120 mil fan I can add, though not sure whether to put it at the front next to the 140 one that came with the case or somewhere else.