Hsulf Katiechops' wet dream (L2)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Tvar, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

Look what I just got in my mail. If only Blizzard did this for World of Warcraft, that would be amazeballs. But I'll settle for any old school mmorpg going back to the good old golden days like this!

[IMG]
  2. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Oh my, what large rose tinted glasses you doth have!

These MMO haydays were 10 years ago, you wouldn't last a day replaying them now mate, the fun you had then will not be rekindled playing buggy old code with 14 year olds!
  3. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

I remind you that I did play vanilla WoW a few years ago and went to max level and raided MC, so speak for yourself "not lasting a day" lol. Granted you need to find and play with the right people, I tend to avoid the bubblegummers myself, last time in a vanilla mmorpg I hooked up with the goon squad.
  4. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Why aren't you still playing it now? Was it the lack of transmog, the creature comforts of the current version of the game, the fact that things didn't live up to your memories/expectations.

While you might play and have limited fun, many people here won't! Also Blizzard have said in numerous interviews over the years they don't plan to ever release a vanilla server.

In regards to L2, have fun grinding to max level in the bleak flat objectless landscape!
  5. Offline

Rev Veteran BOON

wow vanilla was a fucking aweful game. i dont understand how people mention tarren mill zerging back and forth like a good memory :eek:

but hey, as we say in sweden. smaken är som baken huehuehuehuehue
  6. Offline

Law Community Member

Amazing game in its time.

Its like Silkroad Online, probably one of my all time fav moments in gaming but the thought of doing the grind makes me want to hide in my bed with the PJs on and drink Choco! :D

Only got a enough energy to be a Internet Spaceship Captain once more then I hope its 6ft Under Time as I am highly bored of this world now! :D
  7. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

If you're asking why I didn't continue playing that vanilla version of WoW on the private server, it was mainly because of it being based in US and that screwed it up for me for obvious reasons, mainly the timeframes, and it wasn't as well populated yet - then came SWTOR and I prefered playing with BOON.

Didn't miss transmog option, it was more a "the comforts we have in the live version really turned a gamer into a lazy pleb" realization, but I did love it and it did indeed live up to my expectations - was amazing to play old content again. But like Revs said in swedish, everyone likes different things and an old mmorpg is certainly not for everyone. I loved the old games, whether it was the hardcore about it or not.

The best thing about this L2 voting is the fine print at the end: "Please keep in mind that that voting does not register to the project and we do not promise to open it". One should never trust a (games) company on what they state they will or will not do, even when they release adds like these!

I hope Blizzard does something similar in the future, I would play it in a heartbeat.
  8. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

I'm pretty certain they said they can't, rather than won't!

A couple of things about Private servers that I should point out btw, they rarely if ever have the original source code (and databases) of the game server, this leads to the game being re-coded in java (or similar) from memory of what the coder thought the boss/etc was doing, this generally causes the NPC/Boss/Game Ai to be rather shit compared to that from the original servers.

Yes they might be able to get it damn close if they can extrapolate enough data from the from the fights as they existed back then, with WoW this would no longer be possible - original Naxx doesn't exist and while there is a version in game now the data you could pull from it wouldn't be the same, same goes for AQ40, lets not forget that AQ20 and ZG no longer exist as well.

On the rare occasion that it is the proper code/databases, it will generally be run on a sub par server set up (the shit you can rent from a most server companies), this will cause numerous issues, including lack of available memory, bandwidth, the almost 100% chance that the original publisher/developer will C&D the server company to have their data removed. Even if they manage to get anywhere near the setup they need for the private server, the sheer amount of money need per account that connects to it to run on a monthly basis... is one of the reasons why the private servers that exist for L2 have stupidly high XP/Drop etc rates for those that donate.

In fact that basically just leaves MC, which hasn't been touched since the last patches of Vanilla!
  9. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

Yeah the L2 thing is an official NCSoft project that might not happen, but if you google you will see there are loads of private WoW servers with different patches up, according to preference or taste of the playerbase. Some prefer TBC, others like Wotlk most, but I think the vanilla servers are quite rare for reasons already mentioned ;)
  10. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

ZOMFG LETS DO THIS!
  11. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Not official, it is the Russsian vendor polling the community to see if they would like it. That vendor still has to ask NCSOFT if they would allow them to do it. Which they will not!

All those private servers though do not have the correct AI for the game/bosses/npc's, the game feels rubbery/fake.
  12. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

Ah yes, it is the equivalent of Gameforge yes?
  13. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Yeah basically
  14. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Hsulf status: Mega Hsulf'd
  15. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

Finally someone realized the tag ;)
  16. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

Hen, new swedish word. Vanilla would be fun especially for paladins going back to 5 min 40 man buffs :)
  17. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT LINEAGE YOU DAMN WOW TERA BLIZZARD RANDOM FANBOIS

Trust the norwegian when you want something totally random and stupidly derailing said. <3
  18. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

This the game it took KC 2 years to reach max level? :p
  19. Offline

Tvar Classic Officer

Yes because dying takes an exp penalty, also Killa is a dwarf in this game :D
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

To be fair, KC 2 years to put his shoes on some mornings.