[F1] Formula 1 2011 Season Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aspira, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Offline

corum Community Member

Think there is a bit of rose tinted spectacles going on here - I don't really remember F1 being that much more exciting in the 90's. Only real difference was that there were more retirements during races due to car faults and more crashes and deaths. I vaguely remember late 80's as a kid but I also remember my dad saying it was really dull compared to the 60's, maybe he had rose tinted glasses on too.
    Senna/Prost/Mansell era was ok but it was usually piss boring after that during Schumacher era up to 2004 and it's actually got a bit better recently.

If you take away all the fanboy technical stuff and the aura surrounding F1 I think at it's basics it's just an intrinsically dull sport which has some exciting races, just like most football matches are crap but you get a few that are really exciting.
    Removing the dull circuits from the calendar would help a lot I think.
  2. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Monaco for me!
  3. Offline

Saul Community Member

@corum I have to agree and I hate it when they do a race synopsis during Qualifying and state, Well if your not in the front 2 row's your screwed at >Insert Racing Venue< as you just can't overtake on this course. WHATS THE FUCKING POINT THEN.. The whole race is pretty much decided by Q3..waste of time imo. and know Vettel is 73 points clear i have lost all interest in F1 this year.

I Vote for Touring Cars to get more TV Coverage in the coming years...
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

FIA plans changes in Formula 1 to drop the 2.4 Litre V8's in favour of turbocharged 1.6 Litre V6's for either the 2013 season onwards, or 2014 season onwards.

Source: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=23828

I was quite excited reading this as I imagines the return of engines like we saw in the linked Senna videos above that were 1.5 Litre turbocharged V6's producing 1000 to 1400+ horsepower, however..........The ones they plan on running from 1013 onwards will be rev limited to only 15000RPM and will run on the same octane fuel as they currently run the V8's on.

Basically, its going to be less powerful engines. Disappointing news is disappointing.
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Yeah that's sort of what I said on the previous page, why add turbo charged engines but then lower the power..
  6. Offline

corum Community Member

Doesn't mean dick all to me if they go a bit faster or slower. I mean it's all relative, whether they are doing 170 or 190 mph down the straights it looks just the same on the TV anyway.
    I'm not a big F1 enthusiast but whenever I watch motor sport in any form the most exciting thing is overtaking, seeing a great overtaking maneuover is like a goal being scored in football - sundays race was pretty much a 0-0 in football terms.
    For me driver skill is not significant enough in the F1 equation. I know it would never happen but imagine a race in which you put Webber in a Force India and someone like old Barrichelo in a Red Bull, ye webber would be in the tail enders singing waltzing matilda. And stick Vettel in a situation where his car doesn't gift him pole position and he might actually have to drive his way to a win instead of a Prost like controlled bore-athon and he'd be fucked.
  7. Offline

Kammie Community Member

make all cars the same spec, but with DRS, then cars will be close together the entire race, and its all about the drivers lots of overtaking win win :)

the red bull advantage this season is making it a little predictable now :/
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yes because A1GP was soooo exciting......
  9. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Team Rivalry/support is important, people don't give a fuck about formula onebrandhere in any way shape or form.

Someone needs to knock off Adrian Newey and then it would be more level :d
  10. Offline

corum Community Member

So when Vettel wins a race it should be Newey on the podium maybe.
  11. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Still no penalty for Maldonado yet. The suspense is killing me :D
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I hope he doesn't get one. I hate Hamilton.
  13. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Cmon that was worthly of getting thrown out of the sport.

In a hissy fit of anger he sideswiped him.
  14. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

So just me and Kammie in the Maldonado fanclub then ?
  15. Offline

Agga Community Member

Maldonado has had his REVENGIEE for the Monaco take out and Hamilton did nudge him outta the way on the line as the secs were ticking down on the qualify period it was still a fuck me did u see that moment though and i recon he will get a good old slap for it
  16. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Somewhere, Kammie is smiling..... and so am I.
  17. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

18. Offline

Kammie Community Member

TRU DAT HOMES

*EDIT* ask shanto what happened when lewis +kobycrashi came together... :p
  19. Offline

Agga Community Member

Schumacher is frustrating the fuck outta Hamilton I'm sure Aspira will love that Button just breezed past them both go on lad, Button ftw!!!
    Monza Btw
  20. Offline

Saul Community Member

That was sooo funny, Schumacher was really pissing Hamilton off and he tried and tried to pass him but just didnt have the straight line speed, then Button just breezes past them like they were tail end traffic.. Awesome.