Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Fallanx, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Not fixed :p

CS gradually got less skillful as it went along, from the removal of accurate jumping shots, to the removal of accurate noscoping, to lowering air accel, blahblah.
    Yeah CS in it's current form requires much higher skill than CSS or any modern shooter, but it was massively popular even early on because it was much less skillful than QW/Q3/UT99/Tribes/etc.

Why is skill getting removed?

It's really easy actually.
    People don't like to lose.
    Back in the day, to be a PC gamer meant you were hardcore already, it meant you'd managed to build/own a gaming PC and were interested in the games back then.

Typically that meant as a nub you expected to play, get crushed and not even kill anyone the first 10-50 hours of play, and gradually get better.
    The problem is, a casual scrub will not log in to a Q3 server, get bodied and lose with -5 frags and think FUCK THAT SHIT I'M GONNA BODY THAT FUCK JUST YOU WAIT.

No, they quit, cry the guys hacking, log off and never play the game again.
    There's no desire to improve ( that's why they are a scrub ).

That's why CS was popular compared to aforementioned games - a new player could start playing and KILL good players.
    Instead of there being a 99.9999999999999% chance of a good player destroying a bad player suddenly it was 80%, in source it's probably <70%.
    In a 30 minute game if the scrub got 5 kills they were happy as they were not getting annihilated and were not starting from 0.

This mentality has gotten progressively worse to the point where as you say, if you ever played competitively at any point you can pick up any random FPS find any random server and top the boards because good players refused to play these abominations and it's just hot scrub on scrub action ( with pretty graphics ).
  2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

So true Shanto.

I used to play CS and people would log in and play for like 3 or 4 maps and get zero kills. Were they happy ? Yes. They were happy they were playing a good game with decent players and learning. Those same players 6 months later were the guys pwning the new nubs. Heck I remember playing map after map getting no kills and withing a year later I was playing wager matches for real cash, it was brilliant. You had a sense of accomplishment and tbh, the good players and the noob players were always nice to each other too. The ZOMG HAXHAXHAHXXHHAXHAHXHAXQ!!!!!!!!!1111111 comments of modern FPS players when they meet a good player just baffles me. Where did this mentality come from ?

WTB fcking time machine tbh.
  3. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

Apparently you guys have access to BF3 alpha for having such a strong negative opinions already, please share! Otherwise; any negative comment on an unreleased product is irrelevant.

As for the "philosophical" discussion about the lack of skill in current mainstream FPS, same apply to the video game market in general; shiny & causal being the leitmotiv; nothing new here.
  4. Offline

Vissarion Veteran BOON

I liked BF2,
    i was hyped about BF:BC2, but in the end it dissapointed me,
    so i have high hopes about BF3...

having mid to low end pc its bad nowdays btw ;(
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea, you need to update your rig since your one of the resident frapsers.
  6. Offline

Shantotto Guest

While being the prevailing atmosphere there is some pushback.

3 of the top 5 games on xfire have aggressive matchmaking which allows for a high skill cap but without the noobstomping>instaquit.
    The problem is really that matchmaking incurs additional dev+maint costs.

Can you imagine if rift had a solo queue and a premade queue for warfronts that were both ranked? ( even if it wasn't displayed on solo queue ).
    It would have been a much better prospect to not instantly die.
  7. Offline

Shantotto Guest

could you post some of the strong negative opinion in this thread that's specifically about BF3? I'm stupid and can't seem to find it.
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

only thing I wanted to know was what makes BF3 what BF:BC2 is not? It's a normal question or not? I need to know this in advance so I can either play it early and get good at it or save myself the money. I don't want to be suckered in to Hypes, done that far too much now. If I want to try stuff out because I'm curious I will wait for it to end up as Best Buy or Budgetcorner title.
  9. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

Answer is already in the thread, if you don't find it then the game is obviously not for you; furthermore you cant play a female character.

As for competitve matchmaking its not what BF is about; there's already plenty of titles you mentionned for the roxor wannabes.
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Haha!! :rofl:
  11. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

12. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

13. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

where's the pic :eek:, pre-ordering now
  14. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

15. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

16. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

yea Furie, played PR for over 2 years; best teamplay ever for a fps. Unfortunately i think there wont be mods in BF3; just frikkin DLC =/
  17. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

18. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

new video

19. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Can you swim in this game?
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Hahahaha