Aion goes FREE 2 PLAY

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Tigros, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Offline

Gib Community Member

Guild wars 2 is probably far enough away from launch to not be compromised and I think Arenanet should be pretty confident that they are making the highest quality offer in the market with GW2.

Blizzard on the other hand have shot their bolt with the very badly received MoP announcement at Blizzcon and a poor patch 4.3 pedicuring Deathwing to erm... death. I don't think they have a clue with Titan yet, not enough to talk about or they may be saving it for GW2. I do get the feeling though that WoW has become a kind of live test bed for bad ideas that they might want to use.
  2. Offline

Kamasutrah Community Member

I saw that on twitter yesterday morning by Acina xD and retweeted it lol

And blizzard sent me a email to come back to WoW free for a week lol .. um no ty
  3. Offline

Saul Community Member

Aspira I don't agree mate, about the F2P model of recent games.

I think if a game starts out as an F2P then it has a chance to make a lot of money, but the stats prove that Subscription games that go F2P are in the last phases of death and it is a dying tactic to get a short burst of additional numbers with only a small % of that burst sticking with the game.

Nearly all the recent Subs to F2P games have seen spikes of new numbers that pretty much dwindle away again within the first month of the game going F2P, it like people see a game like Aion go F2P and remember the fun they had and sort say "Ahh go on then it's free, ill take another look at my old stomping grounds", then realise why they no longer play the game and quickly stop playing.
  4. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Just a heads-up, you will need to opt-in for the transfer of your account via your PlayNC account if you want to keep your stuff when it goes "free"

Speaking of "free".

The instance cooldowns seem a little extreme if you ask me, 22 hour dredgion CD versus a 2 hour CD if you pay the £8-odd subscription along with the 20% bonus AP etc makes the sub almost a must for people really interested in the game.

Its also unclear how exactly a "starter" account becomes a "veteran" account because the "starter" restrictions are insanely retarded, but if its something like "get to level 10" it would be okay ..I guess. (all existing accounts will be "veteran" after the transfer.

I think a lot of the success of this hinges on when 3.0 is released. Its been live in Korea since November and the western release is usually 4~5 months after that, so I'd expect to see it by March
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

The difference in instance cooldowns for free accounts compared to paid for accounts is absolutely insane and the bonus AP basically creates a two tier system of players.

I have always been a fan of cash stores in MMO's as long as they do not sell anything that will affect the balance of the game. The Aion store was and is perfect and I liked it. However, this new subscription system basically allows players to pay to be ahead of the rest, thus imbalancing the game. You pay to get lower instance cooldowns meaning you get gear faster and you get more AP getting PvP gear faster.

I was expecting the "f2p" version of the game to be the same as the current version of the game as I thought they made enough money off of the NCStore.

Seems I was naive, but then again I don't play anymore so I don't really care. I as well as the majority of people here already played Aion in its glory days and I will remember it as one of the best MMO's we have played in a long time, even if it now seems to be evolving into a cash cow game.
  6. Offline

Gekido Community Member

If you EVER bought the game, you'll be a vet after the game goes f2p. All accounts created after f2p will be starter accounts. After one month sub starter acc becomes vet as well if the sub is canceled. A very standard model if you'd ask me. And yea - the CD increase is insane. And we don't even know what kind of items will be sold in the item shop, probably some game breaking shit also...
  7. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Yeah, I'd like to think that they'll rethink some of that stuff, but this isn't even taking into account the potential for a new cash-shop as well.

I'm not entirely sure how NCsoft will be related to it as it will be moving to a new publisher, so who knows?
  8. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Is that confiremed? In the FAQ somewhere they stated that accounts will "return to their previous status" when their sub expires and when asked how a starter account will become a veteran account Its a little unclear But I haven't been reading any forums or anything so I might have missed any updates on this.
  9. Offline

Gekido Community Member

Officially unconfirmed, but everyone is already stating that, since it's the same with every other f2p with multiple account models.

EDIT: The thing they're not sure about is how much one must spend in item shop to be promoted to vet. Starter>Vet after one moth sub is practically a sealed deal. But can't give you 100% on that as well... but 95% - sure.
  10. Offline

Tigros Veteran BOON

I think 22hrs cd on Dredgion is nothing out of the ordinary. If you think about casual players who made 1 Dred / day anyways (the evening one) than it's more than enough. Anyways, I don't think the f2p model is meant for hardcore players, rather for more casual ones who return to the game now and then and who didn't see it worthy of paying the monthly fee for just playing for once in a while.
  11. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

i bet lotro has way more income than it ever did with subs
  12. Offline

Gekido Community Member

But it's fraking pay2win. That's a "no go" for european gaming community. only hardcore lotro fans are playing it since it went f2p.
  13. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I thought turbine had a huge increase in players/income since going F2P with LotRO?

I know they had massive success taking DnDO to thier F2P format.

The Aion stuff worries me a little, I just really hope they don't screw it up by selling stupid stuff like 100% chance manastones in a cash shop or something :(
  14. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Last I heard they increased the playerbase in both games when it they went f2p, but I would guess that LotRO's playerbase is still way down on where it was at its high point. I miss that game tbh, one of the best PvE MMO's ever made.