Guide Your Pet, Mentor and Asset - Mounts in ArcheAge

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, Dec 19, 2011.

• by Aspira, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Aspira Admin Officer

[IMG]

The world of ArcheAge is indeed one of the largest game worlds seen in an MMORPG and as such, travelling large distances is something that can take a lot of time. With three vast continents, each of which are so large that it would take hours to walk on foot end to end on any of them and with oceans so large that crossing them by swimming is not an option unless you have hours to spare, ArcheAge is indeed a game where you need to familiarise yourself with your transportation options.

In ArcheAge, players are provided with many various means of transportation which can make getting around that bit easier. Be it on land, sea or air, player controlled or NPC piloted, or even teleportation, players in ArcheAge have lots of options open to them. Lets take a look at how you can get around in the world of ArcheAge.

Travelling on Land

Mounts

The first and probably most familiar method of getting around that bit quicker is by using mounts. Currently in CBT4, there are four different playable mounts available in game. These are, the Horse, the Snow Lion, the Donkey and the Yata. Before looking at each of these mounts individually, there are common themes found in all of the mounts in ArcheAge.

[IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]

Firstly, all mounts in ArcheAge are living parts of the world. This means that once summoned into the world, mounts will remain in the world until de-summoned or killed. That's right, your mounts can die... but what else can they do ? Well, they can level up and unlock abilities. When your mount is summoned into the game world, you can tell it to follow you while you kill mobs and it shares the experience points you get from kills. As your mount levels, it unlocks abilities allowing you to fight from your horse while mounted. Oh yes... mounted combat!!!!

For those people now asking, “won't my my die easily in combat?”, the answer is yes and no. Your mount will take damage if you use if in combat and their health and armor is low by default, so it is in your best interest to protect it... by giving it armor. That's right, mounts in ArcheAge can be equipped with different armors giving your mounts better stats and defence. Pretty cool huh. The last awesome thing that all mounts can do, is they are all capable of carrying a rider and a passenger. This allows a passenger who is carrying a package to be transported around without suffering the movement speed penalty that carrying a package incurs. Making the mounts two person mounts also allows you to pick up a friend whose mount has died and give him a lift back to town so he can have a stable master revive his mount.

Mounts have an information window which allows you to see your mounts current stats, as well as equip it with armor and other gear. To the side is a translated screenshot of the mount information window of my Grey Horse when it was level five. As can be seen, mounts have an experience bar, HP and energy information as well as stats. They have armor slots on the left and saddlebag slots on the right. Note that the saddlebags are used as extra inventory space by storing items on your mount. The speed rating of the mount is also shown on this screen and is calculated in terms of percentage faster than running. So this mount (which is the lowest tier mount) allows you to travel 100% faster than walking.

[IMG]

It is probably also worth pointing out that ArcheAge has a tiered mount system in place where you have cheaper but slower mounts and much more expensive but faster mounts. The cheaper ones are faster than walking and you do get a couple of them for free during quests, but the faster ones are that bit more expensive and you will have to work towards them. They are not overly expensive however as ArchAge is a game where you will most likely have multiple mounts in your inventory at all times to avoid situations where you are out in the middle of nowhere and all your mounts are dead. So the prices are set accordingly with this in mind.

So we have established that all mounts are pretty cool as they can all do some pretty cool stuff. At this point I should probably point out that in CBT4, only the horse and the lion can unlock attacks for mounted combat. The Yata and the Donkey currently have no attacks to unlock. I'm not sure if this is just a limitation of this beta, or if these mounts will never receive attack options. The official ArcheAge site describes the Yata as, “docile bipdeal animals”, so maybe they are meant to be a more passive mount due to their docile nature.

The basic abilities open to all mounts are shown in the image below. These are the ingame icons and translated ability names.

[IMG]

So, lets take a closer look at the attack options available while mounted.

Both the Snow Lion and the Horse have the very similar abilities, but they are slightly different. You have five attack options on your mount and since they differ slightly between the Horse and the Snow Lion, we will first look at the horse;

The Horse

The horse has the following attacks;

Kick – The first horse specific attack ability to be unlocked. Deals damage to a single target behind the horse. Must have a target to use.

Melee Attack – Player swings their weapon along each side of the mount dealing damage to enemies standing at the sides of the mount. Must have a target to use.

Arrow Shot – Player fires a bow from horseback at a target. Player must have a bow equipped and must have a target selected.

Dash – Movement speed of your mount increases dramatically allowing for you to escape a bad situation or simply cut down travel time from point to point. You don't need a target to use this.
    [IMG]

The Snow Lion

The Snow Lion has the following attacks;

Bite – The first snow lion specific ability to be unlocked. Deals damage to a dingle target in front of the snow lion. Must have a target to use.

Melee Attack – Player swings their weapon along each side of the mount dealing damage to enemies standing at the sides of the mount. Must have a target to use.

Arrow Shot – Player fires a bow from the back of the snow lion at a target. Player must have a bow equipped and must have a target selected.

Dash – Movement speed of your mount increases dramatically allowing for you to escape a bad situation or simply cut down travel time from point to point. You don't need a target to use this.
    [IMG]

Both the Horse and the Snow Lion have a fifth attack with is an AoE ability, but it unlocks at mount level nine, which I am yet to achieve, so I will update this article once I have leveled the mounts up enough.

Passenger Abilities

Passengers on mounts can use bows to shoot while the rider is “driving” the mount. Player must have a bow equipped and a target selected to use the ability.

This covers mounts in ArcheAge. I will put up more information about the other transportation options in separate articles as I write them.
  • Categories: Uncategorized

Comments

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Alarisia
    Awesome job as always dude. Can't wait to join you guys!
  2. Angelo
    Great write up!

That snow lion looks soooo good!
  3. gir
    my horse is lvl 12 and is kicking it hard, but i cant seem to equip armor i bought for him?!? anyone knows how to? armor inventory slots on the info page is grayed out
  4. Aspira
    Is it an actual horse or is it a donkey or a Yata ?
  5. gir
    no its the horse, maybe its new thing with a new patch or something i just cant solve it
  6. Aspira
    Could be a bug with your horse or something.

Do you have much gold ? Try buying a new level 1 horse and see if you can equip it.
  7. gir
    ah hehe DOh, you cant put the leg armor on the head of the horse, or the saddle on the legs
  8. Aspira

You silly Swede!!!