WvW Support build

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Xom, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

2. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Well, imo Well of Darkness isnt a good skill to begin with.If you wanna fill up with a Well skill, Well of Suffering seems a better choice.
    Also, you really want to go 20 on Spite? Because Spiteful Vigor isn't worth the trouble i think, retaliation deals too little damage, even if you max out Power.
  3. Offline

Klecksi Veteran BOON

You might want to switch one of the blood mastery traits to Ritual Mastery which reduces the cooldown of wells by 20%. I'd suggest to remove Vampric Rituals. Also, I think an axe is a better choice than a scepter (your condition damage is too low).
  4. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Thanks for the comments guys! Appreciate this discussion, let's see if we can make Necro support work ;-)

My responses to both of you:

1. I chose Well of Darkness because it is great if you (or someone near you) gets pounded upon by melee such as HB warriors. As such, it is more defensive of a nature compared to Well of Suffering. Also, my weapon runes reflect this defensive attitude - when trapped in melee, pop Well of Darkness and swap weapons - kapowie and get out.
    2. Retalation is becoming quite beefy as far as I heard. And with the amount of healing going on, I was hoping that it might be on every few seconds. Then again, it does little in the way of defensive, so indeed it's up for debate. Might exchange it for Last Gasp (Spectral Armor when <50%) or Staff Mastery.
    3. I chose the Blood skills to get additional AoE healing spells above and beyong Well of Blood. Ritual Mastery indeed should be in there, but wholly depends on the amount healed by Vampiric Rituals and Deathly Invigoration. When these values are low, I'm very much inclined to switch to get more well power.
    4. As mentioned, my off-hand set is for getting out of melee range. As such, I really like Grasping Dead since it can be used either when opponents are upon you or when they are closing in. Unholy Feast might be a good substitute using axe though for close range. Since dealing damage isn't top priority, I'd say it's a tossup. There's 30 points in total to upping condition damage, and none to crit, so I figured scepter might be marginably better.
    5. It might be possible to get rid of all Spite traits, instead spending the points in Soul Reaping and Death Magic. Build could look something like this.
    Cheers,

Xom
  5. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

I wonder if Mark of Revival triggers when activating Signet of Undeath, and if so does it trigger on the target or around the caster?
  6. Offline

Haze Community Member

This is a spec I cooked up quite quickly: http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fQA...yHX8IFFPMA;T4AZTCmkMpaSxEVXmuEdZ7y1lsr1GjN2bA

It's fully geared towards support through targetted wells and the weapon skills. Focus instead of Warhorn offhand since the warhorn doesn't give anyone but yourself swiftness, plus spinal shivers is a nice ability for peeling. Same with grasping dead, and scepter damage overall is just decent. The spec isn't meant to do damage anyway, and you can't help anyone out with an axe.

I didn't really like the way you laid your traits out since they seemed to skip a lot of important well buffs, especially targetted wells if you're going for mostly sieging - PBAoE spells are near worthless in such a scenario. Chilling Darkness should synergize well with Well of Darkness to lock people into siege AoE etc, and being able to keep a dark combofield going for ages should be excellent in terms of support capabilities. With the staff autoattack and Putrid Mark you can even benefit from it yourself.

I'm very unsure about what stats would be good for a necro support spec. I just threw something in there, but I'm doubting the amount of healing we can really do, the only skill that benefits directly would be Well of Blood. Something with condition duration could be good, or else just straight up survivability to make it even more annoying for others to kill us. Part of the problem here is not knowing which skills scale how well.
  7. Offline

Haze Community Member

Was wondering about that too, could be a good combination.
  8. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Have you considered Dagger MH? I know damage-wise is a subpar option but considering the suport role, Imobilize from Dark Pact might be worth the risk.
  9. Offline

Klecksi Veteran BOON

Well I think GW2 isn't a game where you can go full support. At the end of the day you also have to deal damage. That's what other support specs do as well (guardian, ele, ...). There are two options: condition damage or power/direct damage. Either way, take the respective items. Atm there are two amulets that have healing power on them:
    • Cleric's: 650 power, 925 healing power, 650 toughness
    • Shaman's: 925 condition damage, 650 healing power, 650 toughness
    In addition, each character has a base of 916 power, precision, toughness and vitality. This should clarify that traits don't define your main stat but your items (their stats) do. Traits might be a bonus but nothing more (they offer a maximum of 300 per stat).
    Regarding the scepter damage, just test it in the upcoming stress test. I think axe should be superior if you only have those 200 condition damage from traits.
  10. Offline

Haze Community Member

Yeah I thought about it, but my problem is that it's just single target and still relatively low range. Grasping Dead is a very large aoe cripple with longer range, and the first two attacks aren't totally useless in WvW if you use a scepter. Dagger seems like it could be a solid option in spvp, but I think in WvW a single target root just won't do enough most of the time.

Agreed that axe damage will most likely be superior, but lacking Grasping Dead (I loved this skill so much in BWE3) again. For a more offensive version of the build it might be a good replacement. Also axes only have 600 range, so you can only just about attack people who are right beside your wall when you're at the top - so in the end you might be doing less damage after all.

I'm aware playing as a 'true' support isn't really possible in GW2, but to me that simply means you can dish out acceptable damage while focusing on the utility you bring to a group, as opposed to having to pick between offensive stats to be useful. Hence why I based the weapon choices of the spec on utility aspects.