WvW Ranger build (DPS/Buffer)

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Blackspear, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

(Please move this thread to class section when it's created)

So I found some time to make this guide(?).

Here is link to this build (dunno if this site is up to date tho)
    link

WEAPONS
    As a main weapon i would suggest longbow as it gives you best range of them all which is very important when you fight against zerg. Shortbow gives you great mobility but lack of range makes not as good as longbow.

Now the most important thing about rangers, offhand. I like to use axe + warhorn but anything + warhorn will do. WARHORN IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO HAVE!! Call of The Wild is best skill ever and you should use it whenever you can. It give Fury, Might and swiftness to you and allies around you (dunno exact number).

SKILLS
    Heal as One is good and you have it from start so i don't see a point to buy anything else. Healing Spring is cool as it can heal everyone around you too but and remove conditions but when you have to run away then there is no use for it anymore.

Signet of the Hunt - increase your movement speed by 10%. When activated increase your pet's next attack by 150%. Active is pretty useless in WvW but passive is great.

Now you have 2 spare slots which you should use for spirits. There are 4 spirits that grant useful buffs and you can 'detonate' them to slow, blind or do few more nasty things to your enemies. Which 2 of them you will use depends what you consider useful. If you have 2 rangers in one group you can use all 4 of them which is ideal.

ELITE SKILL
    Spirit of Nature (great help in 'Resurrecting' fallen allies). As a human character i don't see anything that can be better than this skill.

TRAITS
    Marksmanship
    Put 30 point in it and take following passives:
    Steady Focus - You do 10% more dmg when your endurance bar is full
    Piercing Arrow - your arrows pierce targets which makes your single target skills much better in zerg v zerg fights.
    Eagle Eye - Longbows range is increased. It also increase dmg done with longbow by 5%

Skirmishing
    10 pints here
    Primal Reflexes - when you receive critical hit you gain Vigor for 5s. Activates once per 15s

Nature Magic
    This is most important trait tree for this build.
    30 point and this passives:
    Strength of Spirit - 10% of your vitality is given as bonus to power. (more max hp you have more dmg you do \0/)
    Circle of Life - Create Healing Spring on death. (now you are useful even when you die)
    Spirits Unbound - From now on your Spirits can follow you.

PETS
    In WvW only use you will have from having pet are their active skills. They die way too fast but if you can use them to grant might/regen buffs they are fine.

I will probably Edit it at some point after game release if i will find something is not working as it should be.
  2. Offline

Billy Community Member

Looks promising but not finished yet, add info like pve spvp wvw weapons , skills and traits , bonuses you should stack like condition or something, upgrades.

Call of the Wild
    Resettime 35secs
    weapon slot 5

grants : Fury 15s
    Might 15s
    Swiftness 15s
    -> Radius 1.200 <-

Source: www.wiki.guildwars2.com
  3. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

I don't know if something has changed but last time i used this skill in a middle of the zerg only some ppl got the buff so i assume it has player limit anyway.

Please read name of this thread.
  4. Offline

Warprophet Community Member

5. Offline

Klecksi Veteran BOON

As far as I know, AOEs affect a maximum number of 5 people.
  6. Offline

Saul Community Member

I know the title includes WvW, but I would sub categorise it further bud. If your in an Objective Capture zerg, then I agree this is a pretty generic Ranger build.

However if we are tasked to ambush flanks, rear, or to harass the enemy, then I would go for a more Greatsword/Shortbow build, because then you are more 1V1 or 5v5, like an Spvp build.
  7. Offline

Klecksi Veteran BOON

I just read you want to use Signet of the Hunt. There are some more of those signets for other classes. They might look good on first glance, but as movement speed increase is capped at 33% they aren't that useful. Once you have Swiftness the skill is doing nothing at all. So the sigil is a wasted slot if there are 2 more people that grant party swiftness.

Maybe switching to it out of combat is an option (if there are not enough people that grant swiftness).
  8. Offline

Karasu Community Member

MS is capped at +33%? Interesting.. do you have a source to confirm that? This would mean I have to change my thief build a little.
  9. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I believe someome on reddit did some testing.
    You can stack duration, but not effect.
  10. Offline

Klecksi Veteran BOON

Just did some quick research on reddit and found this thread. Also, I tested it on my own during BWE3.
  11. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

About movement cap. I would still stick to it as we are not sure how it works. What i mean is that swiftness does not stack but then this is not swiftness right? :p

I dont want to post anything about spvp because i dont have any experience with it. Also it was my intention to make this build focused on zerg vs zerg. Problem with switching between few builds is that they are built around traits (not always tho) and you cant change them fast enough.

What I would suggest is to make few builds that will work in a different ways so people can try them all and see which is better or we can decide which is more useful and stick to it.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want to change somethings coz i dont have experience with spvp (i dont include pve as i dont see a point in making build for it and different instances will have different builds) and not coz 'i made it so its best FU' :p
  12. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

Can someone move this class section pls?
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Done.