Would you pay to watch Starcraft 2 ?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Just wondering what the eSports fans on this forum think of the whole pay per view row that is going on at the moment in regards to Starcraft 2 tournaments.

There was a thread on TeamLiquid discussing the need to monetise SC2 or the whole scene will die (Link here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=310239). If you read it, the majority of people say they don't want to pay to watch SC2 tournaments and I have to agree with them to a point. I would pay for SC2 for any tournament, if the production value was high enough, the amount of content I was getting was high enough and of a high enough quality, and ofc, the price was right. However, there is very very few SC2 tournaments that offer this. In fact, I would be as bold as to say that in my own opinion, GOMTV are the only people producing SC2 content worth paying for, and that is because they are doing it as a TV show, so it is produced to a VERY high standard.

Recently MLG announced that it will be PPV for the Winter Arena (link: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=311652). Now, overall I really like MLG. There is a lot of things I don't like about MLG, such as the extended series, their choice of casters is sometimes poor or when they have on occasion shown lower ranking players games on stream when higher ranking players have been playing. That aside, MLG is great. What MLG isn't though, in my opinion, is a show worth $20 for a weekend. I think of MLG being the best non-Korean SC2 event. I think its great, but it is not worth paying for. I mean, small example, MLG are offering "20hours of live gameplay" over the weekend for $20, thats $1 per hour. My GSL and GSTL yearly subscriptions combined cost me around $0.15 per hour (based on the average length of a GOMTV broadcast being 3hours, 5 days per week). It doesn't take a genius to see the better offer there. Even if it worked out as £2 per hour to watch GSL, it would still in my opinion be the better offer.

So, I ask the eSports fanboys of BOON Control, would you pay/are you paying to watch SC2 ? Why do you pay for if you pay ? Why do you pay it ? Would you pay for all SC2 tournaments ?

You know my feelings from what I have said.
  2. Offline

Trixeh Veteran BOON

I pay to watch plenty of tournaments already. 20dollars for a single event tho is a bit much when I am use to paying 6quid for 3months to watch whatever events fall in those months.
  3. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

I would pay and am paying for select tournaments (MLG, GSL, HSC). The MLG arena, I won't. The price is set much too high. $10 I would pay. Saying that it calculates to $1 an hour doesn't work for me, as I'm European and can't watch everything live. And watching vods/replays, meh, missing much of the tension that comes with watching live games.

I think EG hit the nail on the head (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=311778). Paying is fine, and most of us are more than willing to payt, especially for a proven high quality experience such as MLG. But $20 for a single tournament in a different timezone? Sorry, but no can do.
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I would pay $10 MAXIMUM for an MLG, and even then, I am talking about championship events, not an arena.

I pay for GSL because I think it is the best value for money SC2 entertainment you can get. I also pay for HSC because it is so different to every other tournament. MLG, well.... I love MLG, but I don't think I would ever pay for anything other than the main championship events, and even then, I think $10 would be as much as I would pay, and I would probably grudge doing so. Long delays between games and overly intrusive adverts are the main memories I always take away from MLG, not the quality of the Starcraft 2.
  5. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Time for someone to buy it then stream it for the rest of us as normally happens.
  6. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

i lost interest in the SC2 scene when they wanted to start charging me full stop.. not a big enough fan i guess
  7. Offline

adagio Moderator

Tbh, the sc2 scene needs to become a lot more organised and corporate. Only then should they think about charging money for tornaments and leagues.

It should launch a almost like tv channel over the internet running for 6 hours a day. Introduce a proper league system that has relegation and promotions.
  8. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Absolutely max 10. I'm almost certain they will host the next event with a $10 fee and everyone will shit their pants on how good it is for esports.

For real though, there HAS to be a lot more money exchanged between fans and teams/tournaments. Ad revenue and sponsorships go a long way, but we need more. Release a t-shirt line with major tournaments, or something else cute or whatever, just so we can BUY something real to support, rather than just give them money for the lolz.
    Hell, I'd even buy a HD dvd of some of the better events just so you could introduce friends to eSports.
  9. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Not entirely clued up on who is trying to profiteer from this but I am getting sick of our community (gamers not boon) getting treated more and more like a cash cow.

Considering the fact that the esport scene has been going strong for years, there is clearly no financial crisis affecting it, this sounds like pure profiteering by major companies.

I am probably completely wrong, but I bet blizzard are a major force behind this milking of the fan base. They love to rip moronic/rich gamers off... Just recently they announced a new "micro transaction" for a flying mount.

You thought the sparkle pony was a piss take? That was about £12 if I remember right....
    THIS MOUNT IS GOING TO BE £25!

That's right, a fucking mount is going to cost more than most steam sale games!

I know it's a "slippery slope fallacy" but it feels pretty fucking real to me, and tbh I'm sick of major companies taking the piss.

/paranoid uninformed rant
  10. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Yeah, you're kinda wrong... There's no real money in eSports, sadly. That goes for pretty much all tournaments.
  11. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I get that, but there is still tournaments etc, so why the need to hammer the fan base with extortionate fees to watch?
    You don't pay to watch any sport on TV, why should gamers be any different?
    Ticket the tournaments on the door at premium rate, and offer the stream free with a donate option for subscriber rewards, maybe a chance to win signed gear, or removal of ads etc.

Use ad revenue on the stream to make the money, don't abuse the fans with extortionate ticket prices.
  12. Offline

Trixeh Veteran BOON

did you see aLive this morning? ohhhh man
  13. Offline

adagio Moderator

Problem is, there are no long term plans in place for esports in general. At the moment its host a tornament once a month. Make some money, pat each other on the back and praise each other for saving esports for another month.

It needs someone with a business like mind to come in with a 10 year plan for esports. Takes its cues from sports over the world that make actual money. Arrange proper leagues in na, eu, Korea and Asia. Each with 4 leagues and 20 players running over 2 months. Have cup games inbetween so lower league player can play against the big boys. At the end of the season during the break, have a champions league cup comp where the top 4 players from each premier league show down.

Then when all this is in place and stable. Add tv channels with highlights, live matches, play's off the week. Stable viewing times will be essential, not announce 1 hour before hand you are streaming. Then if it works spread to other formats.
  14. Offline

Trixeh Veteran BOON

you're totally right about mlg. I love it when the games are going, plus it seems to be the only tournament where the foreigners put up a good fight, but the gaps between games are criminal. and paying to not get adds is a total waste. All you get in the place of ads is a bit of bad muisc and members of the crowd either walking around or just sitting down, ID RATHER WATCH AN AD!

Annoying thing is there is so many games going on all the time, cant they just put another game on the stream that isnt on the main stage? I get the casters need a break and stuff but just im sure they can come up with a rota to make sure something is always on the screen being cast, or have some interviews with pro players inbetween, or even have some proper interviews after the games instead of asking the same lame questions with one word answers from players.
  15. Offline

Trixeh Veteran BOON

dunno why people do there nut over micro transactions, like from wow or whatever, you dont have to buy that mount, its not even any better/nicer than what you can get from other means, if people want to pay out for it then let them?

If you was running a bussiness, are you telling me you wouldnt charge for what you know you could get for something?
  16. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Way I see it is everything is ticking over atm. Problem is the guys at the top want more money, so statements like "ppv tournaments or eSports dies" get thrown out to milk cash of gullible people.

If tournaments were running at a loss, they wouldn't be running. So imo its all just greed.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Forum Runner
  17. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Exactly my point.
    And trixeh, I have no problem with micro transactions on cosmetic items, like the mount. My problem is the price point. Yes some people will pay it, but it's exploiting the fact that WoW and the like are epeen driven and so many will buy the dragon just for status.

Just look at morons who buy the celestial tiger!

I think asking £25 for a mount is taking the piss out of the player base, regardless of wether people will pay it. But that's for a different story (oh and valve recently sold an item for $100 on tf2.... Fucking unbelievable)
  18. Offline

Gizmodio Community Member

i would not pay to watch SC2, i would just play it myself instead since i already have it
  19. Offline

adagio Moderator

The question should be would you pay 5 dollars a month for a quality tv broadcast with stable times?
  20. Offline

Rev Veteran BOON

i think i would pay tbh, but i fully understand student, and people who are unemployed that cant. also i think is wrong how MLG for example are treating their gold members. whats the point in being member if you still have to pay full amount. 10 USD would have been better i think.

i would rather pay each time then subscribe to some monthly payment thingy