World of Darkness: Online

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Tvar, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Did you ever want to play a sparkly vampire in an MMO? Good, me neither. It seems however that CCP's upcoming MMO "World of Darkness" hasn't caught that much interest in comparison to Starwars or Guildwars, be it here @Booncontrol.com or elsewhere. Here is the official site so far, showing nothing: http://www.ccpgames.com/en/products/world-of-darkness.aspx

Here is the short intro revealed last year:

If you're old enough you might recognize the world and its lore from the table-top RPGs, or if you played the other Vampire: the Masquerade computer games that have been released - Bloodlines and Redemption (the latter more based upon the cardgame than the rpg).

So far CCP have kept everything very secret and under wraps. According to sources it will release in 2012. People are however speculating about the EVE updates being a way for the developers to try things out, for instance the new character creation module is said to be a peak of the graphics we can expect for World of Darkness:
    There are numerous vids to browse through if you're interested in looking at the various options for character creation, some of them quite mind-blowing.

Also here is a quick look at CCP's "Carbon Character Technology" (this one's a bit old, I'm sure a few of you've seen it already):

Less armorpieces cutting into your characters helm, head or hair. This is the new looks of the game to come.
  2. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

2012 release? I highly doubt that ;o
  3. Offline

Saul Community Member

I highly doubt it too, but this is firmly on my radar, I love CCP, and I sadly played the Masquerade (Malkavian FTW) when I was a kid, they will make this a pretty awesome sandbox game imo, but I doubt it will be ready for 2012.

Ive been following the blog for one of the lead developers where he made it clear that being based on the White Wolf Masquerade rule set and considering CCP bought White Wolf, I guess they mean it. Then they intend for it to adhere to it's mature roots and rating and more interesting than that, they are trialling a Perma Death system for high level Characters.

The idea is once you reach a certain level within the game, you have the option to take a "Royalty" route with your Character. CCP see this the same as uber expensive Capital Ships in EvE, but instead of Corps protecting their assets, it's more about Guilds protecting their Leaders.

The Royalty route will unlock unprecedented powers for the holder, and they will be the most powerful players within the game. The higher they progress through the Royalty ranks, the more powerful they get and the more powers they attain. However they are a precious commodity for the guild's that own them, and they can be killed and more importantly, if they are killed it is a perma death for that character.

I am looking forward to this almost as much as I am SWTOR.
  4. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I haven't looked but isn't this for 16 year old girls aka Twilight crap?
  5. Offline

Saul Community Member

No way KC, what where those transforms called in Aion that you guys had a shit load of, just think about those, but more uber and more precious to the guild and perma death if they get killed.

CCP have also stated that they will not be going for the T rating on this game.

Also the Masquerade includes not only different Vampire factions, but Warewolfs, Mummies, etc, all have extensive rulesets and abilities already within the White Wolf Cannon, it sets the whole world up nicely imo.
  6. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

This one is for u emo fag.

7. Offline

adagio Moderator

Bah i was hoping this was a mmo about long hair, tight jumpsuits, high pitched voices, guitar solos, sex and drugs. It seems it just a game where we protect a midget with a big axe from getting into mischief.
  8. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

Ooo a vampire mmo !

I found this more interresting than the secret world by exemple. I wonder what will be the game mechanics.

[IMG]

CCP is also working on Dust 514; a console mmo fps linked to Eve online, since a few years now.
  9. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

About the release date, I doubt it too. It is however based upon part Massively's release-date page (http://massively.joystiq.com/games/), but CCP themselves also set the date "at earliest" the coming year (http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/09/24/world-of-darkness-confirmed-based-on-vampire-the-masquerade/). To top it off, this OLD article from 2007 includes a short interview from some CCP people stating "These games typically take four to five years to make" (source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/world-of-darkness-mmo-in-4-5-years).

I'm sure some random people, including KC, will make some emo fag toon called XXXtwilightcuntnameXXX, but Vampire the Masquerade, the game, the world, the lore has been around and developed for 20 years now - it's got nothing to do with sparkly gay people. First time I heard of Secret World, it seemed like a less exciting version of World of Darkness. Through a friend who works at CCP I'm trying to keep myself on the ball as things progress, about betas etc.
  10. Offline

Saul Community Member

Keep it up Tvar... Keep an eye on this http://justinachilli.com/ Justin was a writer for white wolf and CCP have employed him as lead writer for World of Darkness MMO, he sent out an invite late last year asking for what us Gamers wanted to see in World of Darkness, and gave a nice heads up as to what he intends to write and what he expects CCP to design around.

And check this out to see his ideas on World Design http://justinachilli.com/2009/07/10/world-of-darkness-diadem/

According to that article it looks like another developer was working on World of Darkness prior to CCP's purchase of White Wolf and the World of Darkness MMO Announcement. So maybe 2012 is not impossible if all CCP have to do is redesign as opposed to design from scratch.
  11. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

As an old Eve player AND Vampire:M/Vampire:R storyteller I 'bate it to this mmo. >.<

On the other hand, I find it hard to pull off as it is so storycentric or even fps-like in combat.
  12. Offline

Shantotto Guest

CCP do some cool things, so kinda interested.
  13. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

I've been hearing more and more about it, its similarities to Eve, like "throw the players in a Sandbox and let them forge the world, economy, atmosphere" etc, albeit in a Dark version of our own world. I do hope it's not only for Camarilla vamps, juice-bag wannabees, but that they also don't forget about the Sabbat, the Antitribu and the Independant clans. Or they don't make any premade sects at all, and just let people battle it out or forge their own. Whatever goes.
  14. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

15. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

microtransaction and f2p games... never liked it. I want to pay a sub and have everything. The day i am forced in to a f2p to be able to play a game i enjoy is the day i retire my gaming hobby and go fishing or something :p
  16. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Yeah CCP really fucked things up with the microshittytranscation-thingy just now, been following it closely as well. It's bad indeed. Over 5000 accounts cancelled etc. Ouch! ^^
  17. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Since the Grand Masquerade is happening in New Orleans (major Vampire the Masquerade - geek weekend happening), CCP also decided to drop some infos about their "vampire" MMORPG, World of Darkness. Some healthy infos right here: http://www.themasquera.de/grand-masquerade-summary/

Also: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/18/ccp-reveals-world-of-darkness-details-to-bloodthirsty-fans/

Hopefully more to come about this as the convention unfolds, interviews are put on teh interwebz, etc. Stay tuned. :)
  18. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

mummies?

[IMG]
  19. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

20. Offline

Saul Community Member

Come on Tvar, you cant have the Sabat in the game as a playable race. you may as well just say "here is the Player Griefing Clan"