Who enjoyed the first beta? Pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Jon Paul, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Offline

Jon Paul Community Member

Just looking for everyones reaction to the first beta, what was amazing and what could of been alot better

Pros
    • structured pvp was amazingly easy with a good objective natured team around you
    • Dynamic events are like nothing i've seen before :)
    • WvW was amazing (once i found fizzee and katie and the rest, that bit was difficult ha)
    • Customization of armour colours is awesome
    • Every class seemed to be balanced in their own way, i was really surprised by how good ranged warrior was!
    • The personal story was good in the way it allowed you to decide where to go next and didnt tell you
    Cons
    • Structured pvp - All objective natured, this got boring after some time
    • Dynamic events seemed to be very similar, roll up to a farm, help the farm, get a gold
    • WvW, arenanet said it would have the whole server inside it, but i found myself in a WvW queue :/
    • Repairing armour happens far too quickly, ok i may have died a few times in pve but i had to repair straight away
    • Personal story got boring at times, finding information or "gossip" and they hiding the last guy in a corner where no one will look, took me half an hour to find one guy, i got bored of personal story after that :)
    Ive got loads more to say, but thats all for now, give me your thoughts :D
  2. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

I liked it and particularly enjoyed the structured pvp. Didn't really do WvW due to lack of Boons on sunday.

Still unclear what to play. Guardian (first choice), elementalist or necro. Really enjoyed necro pvp in the end, felt very overpowered.
  3. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

I enjoyed it quite a bit I have to say. The PvE quests were well structured and were quite different to... kill X mobs or collect Y items that drop at 15% off Z mobs. There was a little bit of the "help the farmer" type approach but some of these were quite well done. There was enough variety to make them pretty interesting and I didn't get the feeling of needing to grind.

The PvP battlegrounds were really very fast to get set up with and were quite fun. The maps are well designed but I didn't get a strong sense of strategy involved. But perhaps that was due to the lack of coordination with randoms.

I didn't get into the Eternal Battlegrounds zone as there seemed to be an unending queue for it. However, from what I've seen it looks like fun and would give some good objectives for decent WvWvW combat.

I had two main bugbears with pvp though:

1) Every race can play every profession. While this seems like a good idea it makes it more difficult to tell the classes apart. One of the things I liked in WoW was that when you saw a gnome you could immediately tell what his class was. Or a human it was only one of 2-3 options etc. However, perhaps this is something I'd get used to in this game.

2) I'm not 100% sold on the every class can heal/dps approach. It's a pretty radical change but sort of blends the classes into each other a little. However, I didn't get to play the classes enough to really explore this.

Overall though - I really enjoyed it and am looking forwards to see serious pvp when it is released.

Gurth
  4. Offline

Jon Paul Community Member

I couldnt agree with you more, i especially agree with that when i seen a human or norn or charr, i couldnt open to start the process to defeat each seperate profession, i did notice when you target someone their class is a tiny little icon top right of this

pretty hard to see when your in full blown combat, I found 1 on 1 a bit easy, dont think people were very clued up on what to actually do...

I like being able to heal myself though, got sick of waiting for people to heal me on swtor or whateva.....

I also like the weapon change whilst in combat, found a nice little guardian damage swap.... could take half health off someone with just 4 buttons using change weapons....

Still not sure whats the easiest for pvp, whats the hardest for pvp, what requires no skill and what requires a lot of skill :) cant wait for the next beta tbh....
  5. Offline

Ave Community Member

i just wanna some optimisation.
    Inside zerg in WvWvW - max 15fps.
    Core i7\8Gb\W7x64\NV555M\120GbSSD

And i choose my class after release - mesmer. Because new (GW2) necromancer - not old good one. This is strange, but very similar to old necro - mesmer.
  6. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Well i was really impressed with the optimisation, hardly had any fps issues in massive WvW, surprised me actually! (HD6950 2GB)

The self heal/dps/tank was awesome. No longer can a player blame dying on anyone but himself. As a dedicated healer, that makes so much difference.

Guess my main issue atm is the lack of socialness in the game. Chatchannels are a mess and due to the automatic grouping/questing talking to other players is very discouraged. Guess this'll go away once we have a solid guild running.
  7. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Aye was a little disappointed at essentially having noone to play with this weekend. The guild was focusing on Tera, which is fair enough. Just made the game a little Single-player esque.
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

You had me and Tal to play LoL with!!!!! :p
  9. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

tera is calling aspira i miss u!
  10. Offline

adagio Moderator

Can't say I have ever done 40mins off starting area in this game. :p

Aspiras a bit of a slapper. He goes where the mood takes him.
  11. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Oi!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Forum Runner
  12. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

man tera is missing the aspira faction im all alone out there!
  13. Offline

adagio Moderator

That's because no one likes you.
  14. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

Is Aspira a cat then?
  15. Offline

adagio Moderator

For a price, he will be anything you want. :eek:
  16. Offline

Torch Community Member

First to tell you public events are copied from warhammer online :)

In general i like the game, it put some real action, i tried mesmer/necro/guardian. And i think i love the mesmer :) . What i really enjoy was situation where i went to help my RL friend, and as lvl 16 character i got a lvl 16 weapon from lvl 5 mob :). That means you can grind for items everywhere :) And even as lvl 80 characters you will have some fun to help peopole at lower lvls.

Masssive pvp was awesome.
  17. Offline

Huupet Community Member

I spent the whole day in the arenas, I LIKE IT, tried to protest all variations builds, it was more than 5! In General I am very pleased with pvp :)