Which comp? Help me choose...

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Jame, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Offline

Jame Community Member

My luck with computers is sucky as ever. Last night after the crash I've had 3 BSODs... and the computer isn't even 5 months old yet! (Yes, I'm going to RMA it, just need a replacement first.)

So... about the replacement... 3 options as I can think of...

More options here: http://www.jimms.fi/listaa/912/order/price (most you can understand without the need of understanding Finnish...)

Sorry bout the Finnish gibberish, but I didn't bother to translate, since it's rather obvious which part is the processor and which one is the GPU etc. Anyway. Obviously the last one is best, but — is the performance differences worth the extra money? (The first one is 979.00€, second one is 1149.00€ and the third one is 1399.00€.)

Also, it's possible to switch some parts, so if you have a suggestion for example make the cheapest one better with some simple switch, please do tell.

Yes, computer prices in Finland are stupidly high, but I can't be arsed to wait for something from abroad or build myself from components, since that would take forever and I'd probably mess it up anyway.
  2. Offline

Gekido Community Member

Not a fan of radeon graphics but your choice. Caviar Green is slow - bad for gaming. Third option is the most expensive one so I gues it's the best, but i'd go for the second one, just with better graphics and better HDD :D
  3. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

As you render lots of videos you might find the i7 better than i5
    Ditch the WD green and get an F3 (greens are slow)
    Also get an ssd.
  4. Offline

Jame Community Member

GW2 seems to have problems with nVidia though, that's why I only put up Radeons... My current is a nVidia card though, so don't know really. You playing with one then I assume?

What would you recommend for an alternative HD?

Ok, ty. I'll switch the green at least then. Can you link me an exampble F3? Can't find... :/

I only fiddle with Windows Movie Maker though. The rendering time as such doesn't bother me... (though currently I do have i7).
  5. Offline

Jame Community Member

Ok... fourth option (Price 1499€ and it really stings...):

I'd drop the writing blu-ray, since not something I need, so assuming that would drop the price a teensy bit. Opinions on the AMD FX-4170 4.2GHz? GW2 is a CPU heavy game, so assuming it would be nice...

Edit... scrap that... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-10.html says it's pretty crap... anyone disagree?

So... how about... if I change the HD to a better one on this? (Price: 1389.00)

OR (1315.00 €)

6. Offline

Shaftsplitter Veteran BOON

I'm assuming you are looking at another laptop again?

Regarding AMD, I might be incorrect but I think Aspira would probably be the best person to ask for opinion on AMD CPU's. (like a few others I know little to nothing on AMD stuff - always gone with Intel)

You should definitely drop the blue-ray drive unless you desperately want to watch blue ray DVDs.

The 16 gb of memory seems a bit overkill to me but obviously if its a laptop you might be stuck with it (I don't know a great deal about laptops as I always go with desktop pcs) - but if you could change I'd go with 12gb, its unlikely that you'd need 16gb, especially if in a laptop.

Oh and, yikes @ your current one being less than 5 months old :eek:, when you told me it wasn't that old I didn't think you meant less than 6 months, definately something not right there.
  7. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

AMD cpus are definitely underperforming in GW2, pretty sure there was an official blog post with a graph showing that.
  8. Offline

Jame Community Member

No, not a laptop. A desktop now. I got a screen already, so I just need the actual machine. Those are all desktops. And ye... I bought this current comp when my previous one died while playing TERA (ye... not much luck with the computers... or games? Maybe the universe is trying to tell me to stop playing...)

Just choose me one http://www.jimms.fi/listaa/912/order/price/asc (and tell me why that one pretty pls and if I need to change something in it). Max 1500€, but I prefer something more around 1200€.
  9. Offline

Doku Community Member

if you can spend 1500 ....spend 1500...a pc that lasts you 1 year longer is worth the extra 300 imo its anoiying if you can't run new games in 2 years on max settings anymore
  10. Offline

Jame Community Member

Expect with my luck it will be broken before next summer... :p

I still need help about which one... read too many reviews of all the pieces.
  11. Offline

Doku Community Member

make sure you get an extensive pick up and return warranty if your so unlucky
  12. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

13. Offline

Drexciyian Veteran BOON

Why you replacing the whole comp? its most likely just a bad ram stick
  14. Offline

Jame Community Member

Because my current one is a laptop that still has it's warranty going. If I go fiddle with it myself the warranty will be gone. I'm RMAing the computer, but if I don't buy another one, I'll be without a computer for 2-4 weeks. (Yes, Finland sucks.)

I don't know... I'm pretty pleased with my laptop (i7, GTX570...) and it runs the game on max settings with fraps as well... maybe I should just get a cheap one to hold on until I get it back.
  15. Offline

Was / is your intention to replace the laptop entirely or as a temporary replacement while getting the laptop repaired?
  16. Offline

Jame Community Member

I don't know tbh...

Edit. Ok...

I could get this one really cheap in a few days:

Kotelo: Rosewill RANGER
    Kotelotuulettimet: 1 × 120mm RED Led, 1 × 120mm Non Led, 1 × 140mm Non Led
    Prosessori: Intel Core i5-3570K
    Prosessorijäähdytin: SilenX EFZ-120HA5
    Emolevy: ASRock Z77 Pro3
    Keskusmuisti: 8GB (2 × 4GB) G.Skill RipJaws-X DDR3-1600
    Näytönohjain: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC, 2GB
    Kiintovy: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, SATA II
    Virtalähde: XFX Core Edition PRO 550W
    Optinen asema: LG GH24NS DVD-RW
    Käyttöjärjestelmä: Windows Home Premium 64bit FI

Only 980€ (it's a computered ordered by another person, but who never bought it).

Was told the motherboard sucks by a co-worker... correct?
  17. Offline

18. Offline

Jame Community Member

Ah ye, had to google it to realize it was Radeon 7850.
  19. Offline

Gekido Community Member

Yes, I'm running on Asus 560GTX Ti DCii - no problems what so ever. For HDD(if you dont want to get SSD) I'd recommend WD Balcks - they are the fastest ones from what i can tell.
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I have ran many AMD and Intel CPU's and I honestly cannot say anything good about the AMD ones.

I always found that for comparable speeds, the Intel's were cheaper and there were always Intel chips available that were faster at the top end. To be honest though, it's probably 3 or 4 years since I last used an AMD processor, so they might be better now, but past experiences just put me off them.

For graphics, I use AMD over nVidia for the same reason that the last two builds I have done, at the time the AMD cards were more bang for buck. Again, not sure if it is still the same way, but the last two builds I have done it seemed like you had to pay nVidia fanboi tax onto of the price of the card, so I went AMD for similar performance for less money.

Jame as Fizzee has said, if your doing a lot of video rendering, which you appear to be, then you will find the i7 will be better for you.

All in all though, I personally would not be spending a lot of money on a pc at the moment as there is nothing coming out or due to come out which warrants a super fast pc. I mean my pc is now 3 years old and playing every current game on max settings. I would spend an average amount now, then go nuts when the next jump in graphics happens, rather than buy something top spec now.