What WildStar needs to get right in raiding

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Allstar, May 6, 2013.

1. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

2. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

TLDR - 40man raids that require skill, teamwork and dedication to clear.

Basically its the first MMO in a long time to offer difficult large numbers PvE raiding that gives significantly better gear than the more accessible small numbers raids (ie. they are giving hardcore players a challenge and a reward for doing it, casuals will cry, it will be amazing).
  4. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Yeah, not sure the layout helps much, the column is so tightly compressed that it makes the article look massive, its only 1600ish words
  5. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

I wouldn't say they are devoting that much time creating a whole new raiding experience, it's just another level of the 20man raiding afaik, just like Starwars' 10-20man (or whatever that was) and WoW's 10-25man raiding. Same content, harder encounters, different loot.
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Hey Tvar, how cool are we gona look AFKing in town with our heroic 40man gear on and all the scrubs be like, aww, we can only 10man cuz scrubs.
  7. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Exactly. Hopefully you can get along with 25 focused ppl and 15 half-asleep KC-quality players as well ;)
  8. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Hopefully more juicy news will be released about this soon!

Much of the endgame of wildstar was discussed during the arkship but all of it is under NDALOL :(
  9. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

I can be silent!:uhhuh:
    j/k
  10. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Yeah, I think the most important factor is that it will be the "best" loot in 40mans, the really hardcore people will do it, its just going to be a tiny number of guilds that will get there. Which is what they're aiming for I suppose.

I just hope they don't feel pressured into nerfing it for cashys ;)
  11. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Pretty sure they will at some point for the reasons you mention. On the other hand pve (gear) is pve, maybe.
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

As long as they give the people who clear it pre-nerf a bonus to separate them from the cashys.

Not talking like special loot or anything like that, just something epeen related. Like an achievement or a title that you can only get pre-nerf so that once the content is nerfed to allow cashys to complete it, you can still separate the 1% from the masses.

All the content should be available to all players over time, but the 1% need something to remind people that they did it when it was at its hardest, and the 1% like a good epeen waving contest.
  13. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Although it makes sense, i don't believe they would actually do it. If they want to nerf the raids for those cashys, it would be with the intent to "normalize" the instance for the rest of the players. Giving a epeen Ā«somethingĀ» based on past versions of the game would go against the whole "normalization" idea.
  14. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

You laugh but I frequently said the recruitment requirement in BOON WoW was "you have to be better than KC" and I stuck to that, if I out dps'd or knew a boss better than others they'd get in toruble.
  15. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

I was actually serious :D
  16. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

It's a perfectly valid benchmark. If they can't beat a semi-conscious KC who ignores all kinds of strategy then what are they doing?!
  17. Offline

adagio Moderator

Boon Control. Dragging KC through content since 2007.
  18. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Instead of nerfing it to the point it's accessible to anyone, I'd rather make it such that a slow progression toward that reward level (same power) is in place. That way the challenge is still there and the reward is gained much faster with a HC team.

ANet noticed this too late and tried to fix these issues in very hacky ways, mainly because the base design is too locked in. Think Laurels, pristine fractal relics and a few more.
  19. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

WoW actually does this atm by giving people special achievements for doing normal/heroic clears pre-nerf.

What I'd like to see though is armour sets and weapons that become unavailable post-nerf and can be used cosmetically, even now you see people running around in naxx40 gear transmog and you know that they are awesome.
  20. Offline

adagio Moderator

I miss idling in Ironforge in my transcendence priest gear. That game knew how to showboat properly.