What should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Gurtholfin, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Ok, so I'm finding the game a little less than optimal in FPS when it comes particularly to PvP. I also find indoor playing in the game a little lacking in smoothness when I move my camera angle.

It's been a few years since I did any upgrading, so I'm thinking about doing it now. But looking for advice on what to change.

Pasting some details and some of my DxDiag below. Might be something glaring for you experts out there.

The system isn't bad - Skyrim and other games run pretty beautifully and I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred upgrading.

If I was upgrading video card I wouldn't mind something quiet. My box makes too much noise as it is, much of which is probably due to the graphics card. It's probably a bad time to upgrade my harddrive perhaps from a cost perspective.

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gurth

PS: Upgraded my graphics drivers this morning (first time in a while) so it might provide some benefit. Couldn't check before work as there was a 30 minute queue at 9am GMT!?!

Intel Quad Coare i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
    6GB RAM DDR2
    ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (not 100% sure on the model.... 4870 or 4890 I believe)
    Device ID: 9460
    1024MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
    Windows Experience Index 5.9
    Processor : 7.3
    Memory : 7.5
    Graphics: 7.3
    Gaing Graphics: 7.3
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.9
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 12/20/2011, 08:46:50
    Machine name: HOME
    Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 6136MB RAM
    Page File: 2007MB used, 10260MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9460)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9460&SUBSYS_E115174B&REV_00
    Display Memory: 3826 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
    Shared Memory: 2811 MB
    Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: DELL 2001FP
    Monitor Id: DELA008
    Native Mode: 1600 x 1200(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: DVI
    Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1043 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.771.0.0
    DDI Version: 10.1
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 9/18/2010 15:13:40, 616960 bytes
    ------------------------
    Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    ------------------------
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 4.2 GB
    Total Space: 131.1 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR4 ATA Device
    Drive: D:
    Free Space: 818.3 GB
    Total Space: 953.9 GB
    Model: SAMSUNG HD103SI ATA Device
    Drive: E:
    Free Space: 308.4 GB
    Model: ST31000340AS ATA Device
    Drive: L:
    Free Space: 86.1 GB
    Total Space: 953.6 GB
    File System: FAT32
    Model: WD 10EAVS External USB Device
    Drive: M:
    Free Space: 30.7 GB
    Model: SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device
  2. Offline

Tal The Architect

Maybe the graphics card. What settings are you running?

My computer is worse, maybe except the graphics card. I have a dual core overclocked to 3.4Ghz, 4gb ram and a GTX 460.

I'm running medium settings and everything is pretty smooth. A bit slow at loading sometimes, especially on cutscenes.
  3. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Ok I'll look at the game some tonight and try lowering my settings. I think it's probably at high. The driver update might have helped a little bit too.

I haven't gotten into overclocking at all - sort of leave that to the folks who know a lot more about these things.
  4. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

I had the exact same problem but card was 4600 and was unplayable but my comp system is well above spec. Went to pc world or quick fit, and tal helped me also, got a ati 6770 and runs like a dream ( they didn't have ur card in stock tal D:) needed to upgrade power supply to a 500 watt but now plays good, all for about 150 quid
    Defo ur card IMO.
  5. Offline

adagio Moderator

You got issues with your hard drive? Do you have any clicking sounds?

Must admit the ATI 4850+ series was a cracking card and I had no trouble running the game during beta.
  6. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

No issues particularly with my harddrive, although I did replace on of my other ones a while back. I even bought a smaller Raptor at the time to install my system on but I'm not sure if that paid dividends when you see it being listed as the worst part in the Experience Index. However, load times are actually fine for games to be honest.
  7. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Graphics card is the first thing I saw. The 4k series does not support DirectX 11. You'd need at least an 5850 for that. The 6850 is equal in speed, but cheaper and more efficient in noise/heat.

CPU should be more then enough to do anything smooth. And I'm also running 6 GB ram (in triple channel however) smoothly here.

Harddrives are a big bottleneck in speed always. Make sure they're at least 7200 RPM for speed if you're not going with SDD. Also a bad PSU can be the cause of many problems (you need less than 450 W for your setup)
  8. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Ok might get a new graphics card then if things don't improve with manual settings. Are there any decent (perhaps silent?) examples of the graphics cards you linked that you would recommend?

I'm pretty sure all my HDDs are 7200rpm and my power supply is 750W which works well.
  9. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

10. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Your PSU will draw more power than is necessary. Eventually you'll notice most of that on your energy bill while not gaining any performance. Of course you can't go below the minimum, but it's difficult to say exactly what that minimum is. Without overclocking 450 W is plenty on single GPU setups nowadays.

The top card for November was the Radeon HD6950 in SLI (x2) for High-end gaming Systems. (€ 240 each)
    Best Buy November : http://tweakers.net/reviews/2351/4/...editie-november-2011-high-endgamesysteem.html (dutch)
    Radeon HD6950 : http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/285343/sapphire-hd6950-dirt3-edition.html (dutch)

Budget gamers should go for the Club3D CGAX-67724I HD6770. (€ 93)
    Another very good card is the Sapphire HD6950 Dual Fan 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E (€ 214)

Price versus performance the 6770 is by far the best though. Club3D is slightly cheaper but Sapphire offers better quality imo. Price still goes in favor of Club3D. Depending on your budget and needs you can always think about buying two cards for Crossfire. Any of these should run any game for the next three years smooth, probably on maxed settings, anyway.
  11. Offline

TOMMCAT Veteran BOON

Btw i need an advice for a good HDD because my system is getting slowed by him. I put them on the windows rating system and for the cpu , graphic card memory i get 7.7 and for the harddisk i get 5.9 . My pc configuration is :

CPU : Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard : Asus P8Z68 - V
    Memory : 8 GB Kinston HiperX 1333 MHz
    HDD : Western Digital 1TB WD10EARX
    Graphic card : Asus ENGTX 560 DC II OC 1GDDR 5
    Audio Card : Asus Xonar D1

PS : I don't have the money to buy a SSD :(
  12. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated.
  13. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Your HDD is probably also 7200 RPM. One thing you have to make sure is that you have your HDD on your 6 Gbps slot (grey) on your mobo. There's not much space to improve on with hard drives for two reasons:
    1. they're still slow
    2. they're expensive at the moment
    The only solution currently is making smart use of a cheap SSD and keeping your pc clean.

Just make sure your HDD is healthy, defragmented and your caching is handled properly.
    * Test your HDD speed with HD Tune.
    * Defragment your drive with Defraggler (There are better programs, but this one is very user friendly)
    * Clean/Optimze your pc with CCleaner (Make sure not to delete your browser's flash files)
    * Get rid of any programs that run in the background that you do not need. Either uninstall them or disable their service with Autoruns (be sure to backup the configuration first)
  14. Offline

TOMMCAT Veteran BOON

The HDD is new so i don't think his health is not good i think the only problem is that he has 5400RPM i think from what i know. That\s why i need to buy another HDD with 7200RPM or 10000RPM but i don't know what models are good or not.
  15. Offline

Tal The Architect

Hard disk speed doesn't always determine the data transfer rate though. Also a mechanical hard drive shouldn't be able to saturate a 3Gbps data port either.
  16. Offline

TOMMCAT Veteran BOON

i put the HDD on IDE i made a test and after that I put the HDD on AHCI and made a test. I get the same score on data transef. Can't get above 5.9
  17. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

What programs are you running exactly while playing, some hefty Anti-Virus programs can really pull a decent system down. Stuff like Norton or Mcafee I'm talking about.

A 6770 (which is a 5770) is not a great upgrade over a 4870 (which is much closer to a 5850), if you really need more juice just get a 6870 (or 6950). Preferably one with a dual (2 fans) cooler on top, they generally tend to cool better and thus the fan doesn't have to spin that fast and it'll be quieter.

Any second hand GTX 460/470 will do great as well, they are quiet with reference coolers despite sucking a lot of power.

If you can spend more, a 6950 (1GB may be cheaper but it isn't that widely available) or GTX 560 Ti will do great. MSI Twinfrozr III or Dirt 3 editions are great versions, but you pay a little more for that.

Sapphire cards are generally cheap and good quality (Vapor-X versions are good, or otherwise Reference). Stay away from XFX (Only in the US they have decent warranty) also stay away from Club3d, Sparkle, Powercolor if you want something that doesn't sound like a vacume cleaner, they use coolers worse than reference oftenly. ASUS has a few 3 slot coolers, they take up space but they are quiet, Gigabyte has some 3 fan (not 3 slot) coolers that are quiet, HIS has some versions that are quiet. EVGA reference (good warranty), Zotac, reference, POV generally reference and some brands I must've skipped like Gainward (reference I believe). The reference coolers aren't THAT bad.
  18. Offline

Happos Community Member

Listen to Alaisy; he's someone who knows his stuff ;)
  19. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

Alaisy and Tal are prolly our best on tech matters.
    Never biased towards a brand and always eager to help.
  20. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Gameboy :(