Valve investing/porting catalog to Linux.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by adagio, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

Aspira yesterday showed me a link that stated Valve have working copies of steam and l4d running on ubuntu with no emulation. Other Valve games are likely to move over in the next few months. This got me thinking it was a strange move on Valves behalf. Linux is a very hard platform for games to make money on.

So is this Valves first tentative steps away from ms dominence? Will others follow? Could you leave Windows if it kicks off?

Also if Saul comes here saying ubuntu is too fiddly and complex. I swear I will kneecap him tonight in DayZ.

If I can build a ubuntu system that I can just say, download me the latest episodes of a tv series and each week it will automatically download and sort each episode into the right folder. Then make it streamable to any computer on my network regardless of os. Then anyone can.
  2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I would probably not use it immediately as there will be a lack of compatible games (currently L4D, L4D2 and some indie titles), but given that there are rumours that the entire Valve back catalogue and all new Valve titles will be ported to Linux, I am not ruling out my interest.

Once more titles are available I would definitely give this a try. It will be interesting to see if other developers will follow Valve on this venture or not, but needless to say, yet again it is Valve who are at the forefront of PC gaming. I fucking love Valve.
  3. Offline

adagio Moderator

Do devs have to pay a fee to ms to use dx?
  4. Offline

Tal The Architect

Developers use DX because M$ have quality tools and documentation. M$ also funnelled a lot of money into devs to actually use it in the beginning too.
  5. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Companies have to pay to have a 'Windows Certificate', which is granted after a payment and a series of tests. This also applies to drivers. It's the only way to ensure Win isn't going to wine about your driver or software and it does attract some customers
  6. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

The DxSDK is free to download and use and it is not a licensed asset (similar to game/middleware engines), as it is a partial staple of all MS operating systems there are varies versions floating around (mainly due to the fact ppl still use XP and Vista). From Win 8 the DirectX SDK will be supplied as standard with the base install of the OS.

The team behind OpenGL dropped the ball, it is/was a far better set of tools and is cheaper (in most cases) on resources than Dx. But MS dumped a metric fuck tonne of money into Dx and as Tal says the documentation and support is great.

edit: also changed the title of the thread to be less misleading!
  7. Offline

adagio Moderator

I love the fact this idea came up after a conversation in a corridor at Valve HQ. Gabe seems to be taking a big interest in this. Any bets on Ubuntu being a major part of pc gaming in 3-5 years time?
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

adagio - Updates on this.

Valve have got L4D2 running on Linux faster than on Windows 7 - Source: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Pretty interesting stuff and I am actually getting quite excited that this might actually happen and gamers will be able to play their games without using Windows.

Did you see Gabe Newells twitter when he said, "We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It’s a hedging strategy", that is a bit more awesome than making the Valve back catalogue work on Linux, that is talking about ALL Steam games, which would be insane if even possible.

Oh and on the topic of twitter, Rob Pardo (the president of game design at Blizzard) comment on the initial "Windows 8 is a catastrophe" tweet by Gabe Newell saying, "Windows 8 is not awesome for Blizzard either". Take what you will from that comment, but could you imagine if Blizzard release their new next-gen MMO on Linux, or just port SC2 to Linux.... that would be incredible... total speculation based on a comment that may or may not mean anything, but incredible if it would happen.
  9. Offline

adagio Moderator

Well hopefully Windows will get some competition in the next year. I hardly know anything about Windows 8 but if these big companies are complaining about something. If as some think it could ruin your Steam library then 8 isn't going to be as popular as 7 is now. Ubuntu needs a bit of work but it has come on leaps and bounds from versions years ago. its no longer a nerds only area as you can download packages through a simple interface now. If these companies can get drivers and opengl working to dx standard I would quite easy swap over. Games are the only thing keeping me to windows, I already have 2 comps running linuxs in my house. One a server, and the other a old computer running ubuntu for keeping my nephews of my main.
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I messed about with Ubuntu at University and quite liked it. However, because I use my PC predominantly for gaming, I never bothered to use Ubuntu outside the classroom and when the lectures on it ended, so did my time of using it.

I would be willing to install it and learn it if new games were made to work on Linux and my old games in my Steam library were made to work on it.