Unlimited Detail Real Time Rendering.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angelo, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Offline

Angelo Community Member

So I dont know how true or not this is but it looks quite interesting and we could see a massive step up in quality of games.

What are your thoughts? Im still a little unsure on how real this is but it looks pretty good from the explanation.
  2. Online

Feidan Community Member

3. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

I heard it has some serious problem in animating moving objects, its been announced long time ago and still no company really tried to invest on it.
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

That is quite insane.
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

That's great, now I just hope they'll sell the technology not only just to Crytek. I'm not really understanding how it's such a light hit on performance, isn't it the textures + shaders + lighting that will make the game go slow anyway?

They don't seem to really explain how it's so much lighter than polygons, although I can definitely see that it looks much better. (or will with more interesting textures) Although after the start where they boast about Unlimited this unlimited that they actually become quite modest about it.

Kind of hoping it won't take too long for commercial model scanners, although I don't know which objects I would scan tbh.
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Pete is just thinking about unlimited rendering breasts. am I right ?
  7. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

well that's another thing, do the physics and animations still work the same way. If they do I wonder whether that becomes easier on performance as well, that would mean proper castle sieges without a massive performance impact?

I don't know, they're probably making it sound better than it is.
  8. Offline

Miyo Community Member

they should make a jungle for demo instead of some aztec island or whatever was that...

yeah, jungle would be more impressing...
  9. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

guys, they are just renaming an old concept (voxels) with "unlimited detail rendering". And nop this is not feasable at the moment according to one of jonh carmack's tweets of yesterday.

http://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/status/98127398683422720

Re Euclideon, no chance of a game on current gen systems, but maybe several years from now. Production issues will be challenging.
  10. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

This does not work this way. Trust me
  11. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Shame he doesn't explain why, ofcourse the technique is old I mean they're still using it. What I didn't get about Euclideon is that they say it's supposed to be less rough on the system, I have no doubt it's more useful but you would think that modelling atom by atom would be much tougher for the system then a bunch of stretched lines that are coated.

Not gonna totally dismiss it though, I mean a game takes a few years to develop. The technique (if true) would be worth adopting when systems get more powerful.

I mean think about it, if you're going to add so many polygons then what is the advantage of it over adding them cell by cell? I think eventually they'll start using a similar technique.
  12. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

more info on this "hoax"

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2835383

for alaisy:
    this is why their demo looks so "dull", because there's no reflection etc, since that would multiply the amount of processing power needed to trace the "photons".

it's exactly like carmack said, no way they could get a game with decent graphics running now, as 12 cores is still not quite enough for the job, but we're almost there :)
  13. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

yeah the performance impact makes no sense, and neither does the way they present the demo. What's the point of hoaxing something like this though, seems a bit too much work?
  14. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

They announced this in 2003 and still noone got fooled, they're trying again now and see if some crazy guy decides to finance this.
  15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea, and all this just to get the game world sorted, BEFORE you add in any animated objects or players. Think of the added stress moving objects will cause using this system, the computational power needed will increase exponentially.

I love this idea though, and in the future, this will be the way its done, but I think we have a bit of a wait.
  16. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

If you look up "voxel raytracing" on yt you'll see how "good" it really is.
  17. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

18. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

we can't really predict what will happen in the future... according to moore's law, we will have much more computational power than we have now, so basically anything is possible... 1 thing is for sure, this area (real-time raytracing) has been left a bit unexplored since everyone uses polygons and all the other tricks to make things look the way they look, because technology doesn't allow for more. But when the time comes... It doesnt matter if its heavy to have animations with voxels, or if voxels consume shitload of memory. It will all be optimized and it will run super fast in the future. Eventually..
  19. Offline

adagio Moderator

20. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON