Type 2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corum, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Offline

corum Community Member

Just thought I'd share something that may be relevant to some of my fellow old gits in BOON (if you are under 35 and not a fat bastard don't even bother reading this as it's 99% likely not to apply to you).

I had a random finger prick blood test last summer by a nurse who told me to go get full bloodwork done at the local clinic. I didn't bother ofc (usual bloke thing - hate doctors, total denial about any illness and would never go there unless my foot is falling off).
    Got a phone call 2 weeks ago doc tells me I'm a Type 2 diabetic according to last year's test and go to get full blood tests done to ascertain how bad it is and he'd see me in a week. Some of you may know someone who is a Type 1 diabetic but Type 2 is a bit different (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7504.php).

Anyway, that's it, if you get it you are a bit fucked basically. It can be controlled with exercise, diet and tablets but it progressively gets worse once you have it, your projected lifespan drops and if it goes out of control you are looking at amputations, failing eyesight and high risk of stroke and heart attack. No more getting drunk, no more filling your face and half the things you like to eat are out of bounds.

So...ofc I was shocked, upset, scared shitless and really pissed off with myself for being a slob the last 4 years (I've ate like a pig and not exercised and am now technically obese - although I'm a big bloke and 6.2 height so I actually don't look that fat). So shocked in fact that I've lost nearly 10 kilos in 2 weeks thro exercise and diet....bit too late tho or so I thought.

I've spent 2 weeks worrying (there was a delay at the lab) but finally got full results today - fasting blood sugar 3.8 and A1C 4.9....which is totally normal. Doc said last years result using a small meter was only accurate to within 15% and also it turned out I had a gum infection at that time for which I had a root canal done a week later (infections can raise blood sugar levels apparently).
    So he did diagnosis of not diabetic but lose some weight you lazy fat bastard or it could happen.
    Fkin relief I can tell you.

Well...why am I writing this essay.
    Basically as a warning for some of you guys over 35 and out of shape - Diabetes T2 is now reaching epidemic levels http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1078962/Warning-diabetes-epidemic-cases-hit-2-5m.html due to the high-carb eating habits people have these days (bread, potatoes, rice, noodles etc).
    BUT
    if you catch it early (it's called pre-diabetic or IGT) you CAN reverse it or at least ensure you don't get it full blown till you are in your 80s and too old to care and all you have to do is exercise a bit and cut down on carbohydrates.
    So, get tested, it's a serious business and if you are at risk (quite a lot of people are pre-disposed to it) identifying it early and preventing it is a whole lot better than what will happen if you don't.
    It takes 10 mins and all you gotta do is fast overnight and see a nurse in the morning who will take a small sample of blood from the side of a finger.
  2. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

But I am indistructable! Actually sicne we stopped playing Aion I have been going to the gym every week and lost a stone.
  3. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Shit, that's some real serious business right there. Good to hear you're out of the wood for the time being anyway. Take care of yourselves now y'hear?!
  4. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

<--- T1 here
  5. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

DUDE not being able to drink would suck not to mention everything else..
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

To be honest, you drank so much Coke when you were over in the UK that I thought I was gona have to stab you in the face with the giant don't die Blackspear needle!!!

Considering Blackspear is T1 and is so skinny if you turn him sideways he is invisible...... he can fucking drink. Must be a polish thing as I have met many people who can hold nowhere near what Blackspear can!!!!

Oh, and @corum - I have a family member who is T2 and is fine. They can still eat/drink what they like. It's more about balancing out what you are consuming rather than cutting things out all together. There are some sacrifices, but you can go on relatively as normal. I mean I had a mate at uni who was T2 and he would eat/drink pretty much what he did before he was diagnosed (exception was he drank sugar free coke etc. after). He would also go out and get drunk with everyone else and stuff. Just made sure he always had insulin on him and used it to keep a balance before going out drinking etc. Thing is, I know 6 people through university/gaming/family who have T1/T2 diabetes and all of them exercise a lot and generally take good care of themselves. Guess it's just your luck.
  7. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

I was drinking Coke Light which im able to drink :)

Im able to drink alcohol but i have to do injection after or while drinking.
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I know, as someone who hates needles, watching you stab yourself with what was basically a giant sword with a syringe attached...... kinda made me woozy.
  9. Offline

corum Community Member

Ye I heard about people who are fit and eat well who still get it, spose it's partly in the genes. Must be bad to get T2 if you are already fit and the correct weight as the only way to improve it is by taking meds.
    And yes I know it can be controlled and you carry on basically as normal for a long time but I just wanted to put the more shocking things in my post to emphasise how bad it can be if it is undiagnosed in you and you carry on being a slob and filling your face with crisps and chocolate.
    As I said I'm relieved that I don't have it but the shock of it hanging over me as a possibility for 2 weeks has been pretty fking life changing.
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea its good to hear you dodged the bullet dude.

More importantly..... did you ever heard back from your noobitus exam ?
  11. Offline

Tal The Architect

All I can say is keep up the exercise, hopefully the shock can help you better yourself. :)
  12. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

I agree with Tal, in other words don't wait to become a FUF (Fat Ugly Fuck) :p

p.s if you cant see your willy while standing you're already in trouble lol
  13. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

yeah and if you cant get it up, you may have heart-problems!
  14. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I loled at the use of the word "willy" in a French accent.
  15. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

The Skittles will kill me one day, I know that. But dammit its a risk I'm prepared to take.

I know a few people with both types (1 is on a regulated insulin pump to keep her ..alive) and it sucks, good to hear you've come back clear
  16. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

Type one also, it seems bad at first but people learn to live with it, for me if anything it improved my life, i went from eating shit all the time takeaways etc to eating a healthy balanced diet, working out, playing rugby again i'm in the best condition i've ever been in my life, so i sort of look on it positively due to that.

The support systems for it are brilliant in the UK, when i first got it i asked them about how i got it etc, and for type 1 at least they have no idea what really causes it, sure they have some ideas but nothing concrete, type 2 is obviously slightly different.

From another point of view a lot of the shit you were told is BS, only idiots who don't control it suffer from that kind of stuff and with a bit of common sense, help from the massive support systems available anybody can control it and lead a normal life and live longer than people that don't have it. I go out and get pissed nearly every weekend, keep a close eye on it and i'm fine, its a pain yeah, and i get the piss taken out of me at rugby club because i have a man bag (to carry all the shit in) but once people understand why they pretty much stop.

What i'm trying to say is that while its a bad disease to have, its certainly not the end of your life, glad you dodged the bullet now just make sure it doesn't come back.
  17. Offline

corum Community Member

It's really good that you look on the positive side of things - that's what I was trying to do too when I believed I had it.
    ie - not having diabetes but living like a slob is far worse for your long term health than having it and controlling it like you do and your longevity and risk of the complications is about the same as someone who doesn't have it if you control it well and keep your glucose levels near the normal range.

I didn't mean to offend anyone in my original post by overemphasising the more extreme things. It's just that I'm a lazy bastard entering middle-age and it was meant to be a wake up call to any other lazy bastards entering middle-age who are unaware of the risks and think they are bullet proof.
    Also, I don't mean to be condescending either as lots of you already know all about this stuff.......but I didn't, I knew about T1 as a have a friend who is T1 but knew fuk all about T2 so without the shock I received I probably would have carried on like I was.
    I'm not a humanitarian or a bleeding heart, in fact in the main I hate people in general....but my whole reasoning behind posting all this was that even if there is only 1 person who reads this who now gets clued up and appreciates the risks of shit living or goes and gets tested and is told they are at risk and need to change their lifestyle then it was worth it.
  18. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

This is why I exercise. History of obesity and T2 in the family scares me shitless (which is good, you run better on adrenaline :p).

Think you're born with T1 but not sure.
  19. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

Not always.
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea we injected Blackspear with it as an experiment to see if he could become a mutant super hero. Didn't work.