To the Pro's from BOON Control: Key Mapping in GW2

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Aen Seidhe, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Offline

Aen Seidhe Community Member

hi
    first of all, excuse my strange english, i am from germany.

since many weapon skills in gw 2 are usable while u can move, i think that it is not ideal to map them around wasd because u have to lets say move your finger from D to R /E /R /F / X if u want to use a skill.
    this would mean that its not possible to strafe left while using on of the skills assigned to that buttons and its the same with going left if u have skills on q or tab.

so i would like to know how u pro guys handle this.
    are u using razer naga or just a normal 7-key mouse while mapping the weapon skills to the mouse nad the 5 normal skills around wasd?

greetz

PS: great performance vs the arenanet guys. i would ever have thought that it would be that close, i mean arenanet had send their best pvp guys and u knew almost nothing important about the game and had no time to train. really amazing.
  2. Offline

adagio Moderator

Welcome and thank you for your kind words. Your English is certainly better than my German.

Are we allowed to mention someone stood in fire yet?
  3. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Hey Aen,

You should try to ask this to some of the press who have played the game last weekend.
    I hope they can help you better. They have played the game 3 days straight! ^^
  4. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Your English is better than most of our English speaking guild members, though they are Scottish so.....

I wasn't part of the GW2 team but I do know from watching them that they used standard show floor gear. I didn't see Aspira use his naga for example. This also can't have helped their cause, but let's not excuse them :p

I know in TERA I used a naga (and nostromo) as it allows for easy moving and casting.
    My only criticism of this set up (apart from getting used to it) is the nostromo has a habit of counting diagonal movement on the d-pad as a new set of button presses. This fails in games with double tap to dodge. Now having not played in GW2 yet, I don't know if this will be an issue, but as I raised these concerns with people in the guild I can only hope it got back to the devs, but I honestly won't know for sure till I can play.
  5. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Yeah.. at GamesCom nobody was allowed to bring their own equipment. The organisation was kind of difficult on that one. I think Tirzah or Chap did bring their own keyboard but only used it once or so.
  6. Offline

Feidan Community Member

In WoW I used rmb to rotate so had skills bind on q, e and the rest round r,t,f,g,v,c,x,z, 4th and 5th mouse button and much more. 40 keybinds for a hunter to play arena? FU blizz.
  7. Offline

Domain Veteran BOON

I usually go for the standard, qweasd + "right click*a" and "right click*d" for movement, 2 extra buttons for special stuff on the mouse, the regular combat non skill related on x,c, tab, r, f, t, g, v, b; then all skills and select targets go for the bar with priorities and roles, numbers 134 are for the most demanding stuff, 25 for the next, 678 for relaxed organized non-time demanding stuff, if needed alt+ number for an extra quickbar and f1, f2, etc, for weapon swaps, team mates selection, blah blah, ctrl + number for sets of normal and shift+number bars.
    honestly i believe that practice makes perfect and doesnt really matter what you use, and in gw2 as you can see on the demos from gamescom and parisgamesweek, you only have a limited amount of skills with weapon sets or elements, so keys for actual skills is like the numbers, and then up to 4 extra keys to change between bars, the important thing to note is, according to the role you have, diferent needs will emerge, you just have to place the skills/actions to keys in order of importance and need, related to your hand and game awareness of what you will be doing. the rest is up to you.
  8. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Ouch!
    Wall of text hits for over 9000
    It's super effective.
  9. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

I have Naga so i will probably stick with it. Didnt play GW2 but i think there wont be much problem with skills and u have to use like only 5 of them most of the time and other skills are situational with longer cd.
  10. Offline

wow, is it really possible to move your char with the nostromo thumb pad?
    does it feel comfortable? isnt it a bit non-intuitive?
    i really cant imagine to move with a thumb pad, this would mean that u have a LOT of keys free at your keyboard around-and-including wasd which would be great.
  11. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

It took me at least 2 weeks of playing the worst of my life to get used to it. BUT once you are used to it, it feels so much more comfortable.

On consoles, movement isn't an issue, it's the speed of aiming that's the issue, this is the best of both worlds. Speed of aiming with quick movement changes. WASD simply limits you too much, eg. To switch between strafing forward left and forward right on a WASD setup means you can't cast anything with a shift modifyer except if your thumb is super long.

A naga relieves most of this issue but you cant for example keep strafing, casting with naga and using shift and space unless you are a professional guitarist or finger twister champion.

It's not perfect, as I said with the double tap issue, and also if you prefer mechanical switches it's useless. BUT I personally love the thing.

Personal taste ofc, some people will never be able to use it better than keyboards just as some people won't ever be able to use WASD instead of ESDF.
  12. Offline

Tigros Veteran BOON

I only use default key sets :) I almost never customize anything (I guess I'm a lazy ass). I do decent with this, but then again, I don't aim at being the top fella in competitive play so it works just fine.
  13. Offline

argh seems i have to buy both the naga and nostromo.

i think naga is great once i have getting used to hit the side buttons perfectly.
    nostromo, well..i think IF i can get used to the thumbpad and using wasd for skills it can be amazing as well

140€ is a lot just for this 2 things, but whatever, if it helps ^^
  14. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I advise you to buy a second hand nostromo. There are tonnes out there where people have bought one, used it once or twice and given up. Would save you a lot of cash, especially if you don't get on with it.

But the naga is definately worth the cash imho.
  15. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I use a pretty weird setup.

QWES for movement (I sometimes unbind S, because who really backpeddles?)

1~4 with shift modifiers for generic "rotation" skills. and with ctrl modifiers for less used skills/macros (traps etc)

R + F (also with shift modifiers) for less commonly used skills.

A + D to common (<1minute) cooldown abilities and

Z + X to longer/less critical CDs/CC breakers.

I have mouse 4 and middle button bound also usually for prebuffs/mounts etc.

Rebind spacebar, you don't need to jump that often and its a great spamming key. (this is a really hard habit to break, and I wouldn't reccoment it for everyone)

A lot of people I know swear by ESDF for movement because it affords you extra keys, but I much prefer using shift/ctrl modifiers for a lot of skills and macros, it really is a choice of style and what you're comfortable with.
    Whatever you decide to go with, practice until it hurts!

Turning off skillbars entirely to train yourself to use keysbinds based on muscle memory is also a great technique.

I can't speak for GW2, because the skillbars are somewhat more rigid, and as far as I know there won't be macros (i'm not even sure if you can bind modifiers) but this is the system I've used in MMOs for years and it works for me.
  16. Offline

yeah i think so too, naga is awesome.
    i guess when i have the naga i dont need a nostromo anymore because i can map all 10 skills to it.
    however, the 4 stances had to be around wasd which might interfere with movement. i have to test this.

thanks for the tip, i will try to get a second hand nostromo.
    but in germany its possible to buy anything via internetshop and if u dont like it u can send it back within 2 weeks and u get your full money back.
    its written law, i have done this a couple of times myself.
    however i dont know if this is possible in whole europe.
  17. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

WHAT?! Not that often? I jump more more than do anything else lol
  18. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

ESDF
    Rebind QWRTAGZXCV12345

More keys than you could ever use. No need for modifiers. Make at least one of those keys "look behind me".
  19. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

yeah alot of BOONs use this, I use default and a mouse... either I am so pro I don't need a good set up or I am old and you can't teach old dogs new tricks,,, clicking FTW! RAWR!
  20. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

It's okay.
    You're only missing click-to-move.
    :D