The Secret World MMO - Funcom

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I'm sure most people will have heard of this game as if you had an AoC account you would have been hit with all the cryptic e-mails from funcom that eventually all amounted in a big elaborate puzzle to find the games official website. I still remember it all and all I can say is "Yawn".

Anyways, we are a few more years down the line now and although their website is still terrible and has little to no content on it, there are some decent youtube videos from games conventions in 2009 and 2010 where Funcom do give out some decent information.

First thing that got me interested in following this game is that it is going to focus heavily on PvP and it is three faction. OMG who would have thought that Funcom would be the guys to make a PvP orientated three faction MMO..... maybe they used up their entire sack of fail on AoC and are actually going to deliver something good this time around.

So, whats this game all about..... Basically, its set in current day earth and you are able to go to many major cities throughout the world such as London, New York etc. (Elgin might not make release Chops) However, although the setting is current day, there is all sorts of crazy shit on the go like demons, zombies etc. etc.

The character setup seems to be similar to that of Darkfall in that it has no levels or defined classes, but there will more than likely be a huge skill up grind.
    Remember that although AoC was shit, the combat system was truely a leap forward in MMO combat, and they promise similar innovation with this game.
    Three factions based on ancient secret societies. Also a guild system where you can have a guild hall and such. Note a guild can only consist of players from the same society.
    PvP looks like it will impact the PvE gameplay, rather than the usual PvE impacting PvP that most current pussy carebear games we currently have on offer seem to favour. Note: See the video explaining PvP, it says that this "anima" is used in pretty much everything in game including crafting etc. So PvP is really going to affect EVERYTHING.
    Other Random shit that may interest you....
    Factions Explained (Terrible sound quality)

PvP Explained (Terrible sound quality)

Ingame footage plus Dev interviews. (Really good video)

Teaser video with fluff about the game.

Teaser showing ingame footage.
  2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Dragon Faction Cinematic

Templar Faction Cinematic

TL;DR version of OP

Pro's
    • Three Faction
    • PvP Orientated
    • Looks Not Bad
    • Will Have AoC Still Combat Mechanics

Con's
    • Made By Funcom, could be fail.
    • Being Designed For Consoles Too (ie. DC Universe, So Controls May Be Wank)
    Release date is unknown, but they have a countdown timer on their website that is using some kind of code. If you look at the seconds counting down, you can work out the code, and if you assume this to be a countdown to release date, then the release date will be December 21st 2012...... The day the Mayans predicted will be doomsday. Oooooo....... [IMG]

Anyways....

Beta Signup: Click the link on the above site, you have to do a flash quiz to get access.... I know, pretty gay.
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I been signed up for beta for like 2 years, never heard anything from them, so don't get your hopes up.

Also, I have the feeling this game will have a high chance of failure purely down to what we saw in AoC, but hopefully they learned from that, as the backstory/setting/concept for this game, all seem pretty decent.
  4. Offline

Shantotto Guest

FUNCOM L O L
  5. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

funcom hurts my norwegian pride :(
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea, all Norwegians should have to pay for what Funcom did with AoC. [IMG]

However, this game does look not that bad and surely they can't make the same mistakes they did with AoC again can they ? [IMG]
  7. Offline

Tigros Veteran BOON

You know what they say: We learn from our mistakes in order to be able to identify them when we make them again...

On topic, the two trailers, templar and the other, look nice. The game footage looks kinda meh.
  8. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

tbh although AoC failed pathetically it had some seriously good ideas behind it, the combat system was brilliant and up until (21 was it?) the content was up there with the best and creating your own forts etc is loved by most MMOs. If they can develop a game like that the whole way through while having 3 faction PvP (which is the only way to go) then it may surprise us all.
  9. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

The game footage looks like it plays similarly to DC Universe, but more clunky and with poorer graphics.
  10. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Anarchy Online and AOC, not exactly promising in terms of progression is it?
  11. Offline

Tal The Architect

3 factions, PvP orientated... might be good... might also be secretly terrible.
  12. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

If not,WHY NOT?
  13. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

My biggest gripe with this game is not that it is made by Funcom, i actually enjoyed the pvp of AoC. My biggest gripe is that it's beeing design to work on consoles too

After playing a hybrid game like DC Universe who also had this function i doubt i will be going down that path again. The controls WILL suck if you are a pc gamer
  14. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

DC Universe's UI must've been the worst I've seen in a game yet, it is bad even for a console game tbh. I mean even Dragon Age Xbox version had it sorted out better and that game was just so much better on the PC.

However DC had some nice fighting in it, too bad its a superhero setting :(.

About AoC, I loved it..till level 40 ish where it was a grindfest to level 80 and then no content. Aside from that ridiculous amounts of exploiting. I did enjoy the naked boobies and combo system of the fighting though. If Funcom can actually put the amount of time needed in to polish the game it could be quite good.

So.. yea wait and see I guess, my feelings are mixed.
  15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

DC did have nice PvP, but the UI and controls terrible if you were using mouse and keyboard, and this could end up being the same with this game.
  16. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Controls in DC were fine, seemed super standard.

chat interface on the otherhand, I don't think I've seen worse in an mmo.
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I didn't like having to mouse spam click to attack.
  18. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

You will do poorly in D3... ;)
  19. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Yeah I don't really see the difference in spamming mouseclicks and spamming 1/2/3.
  20. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Already pre-ordered from amazon for £23

It's gonna be £35 on release so money saving ftw :p