The Road to gamescom: Writing the Demo

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

[IMG]

By David Campbell August 16th, 2010

We’re counting the days and hours until gamescom (Aug 18-22) and the world premiere of the Guild Wars 2 live demo. Everyone has been working hard polishing and refining the demo content, and now we just can’t wait to show the game off to the public for the first time.

It’s not hard to find somebody around the studio who is psyched about the Guild Wars 2 demo, so I pulled aside some of the folks responsible for producing the demo to get their thoughts. I started with Writer and Game Designer Angel Leigh McCoy and Lead Writer Bobby Stein, who have helped bring the world of Tyria to life:

Bobby Stein

From as far back as 2008, we’ve been writing these scenes that play out while you’re running around in the world: merchants haggling, ministers discussing politics, children playing in the street, folks talking over pints in a pub—it’s all in there.

Angel Leigh McCoy

Our job in the writing room—myself and five others—is to put words into the mouths of characters in the game. Sometimes the characters are funny, sometimes they’re tragic, sometimes they’re just totally dysfunctional, but we try very hard to breathe life into them.

Bobby Stein

The level of quality and the sheer volume of voice roles for just the gamescom demo is insane—it’s bigger than a lot of games. In the demo alone we used over 60 voice actors, and that’s just a small fraction of the total content that will be available when the game launches.

Although there’s a lot of voice in the game, it’s not overwhelming. We have a diversity of high quality content, but it’s important to know when to use it and not hit people over the head with it.

Angel Leigh McCoy

We spent a long time writing for the demo and put our hearts and souls into those scenes. It was an area where the Writing Team was really allowed to run, and we’re proud of the work we’ve done.

I’m going to talk more in a future blog post about the role of the Writing Team in the design process, but above all, our goal is to bring quality storytelling and cinema-level dialogue and voice acting to the MMO genre. The demo is just a glimpse into an amazing, immersive world.

Thanks, writers! Next, we’re going to go further behind the scenes of the Guild Wars 2 demo, and then our wall-to-wall coverage of gamescom begins. It’s going to be a busy week!