The Musical Taste test

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corum, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Offline

corum Community Member

During a boring afternoon at work last week we came up with a musical taste test.

Here are 15 albums, you score a point for every one you have in your collection or have ever owned (try and be honest):-

1/ Thriller - Michael Jackson
    2/ The Four Seasons - Vivaldi (plus less than 5 random classical based albums in your collection)
    3/ Greatest Hits - The Eagles
    4/ Any of the 'Now thats what I call music' compilations
    5/ One - The Beatles (plus less than 4 random Beatles albums that are not compilations)
    6/ The Bodyguard Soundtrack - Whitney Houston
    7/ Appetite for Destruction - Guns n Roses
    8/ Bat out of Hell - Meatloaf
    9/ American Idiot - Green Day (but no Green Day albums earlier than this)
    10/ Legend - Bob Marley (but no other reggae albums in your collection)
    11/ Nevermind - Nirvana (and it's the heaviest music you own)
    12/ The Joshua Tree - U2
    13/ Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
    14/ Progress - Take That
    15/ Back to Bedlam - James Blunt

How did you score ......

0 points - Totally Anal - You despise muzak in all it's forms and will even force yourself not to listen to something you actually like if it is popular in any way. Down the pub when the conversation turns to music you revel in befuddling your mates with such phrases as ' I'm currently into a band called Blimpo Gurangi Zeppelin, oh haven't you heard of them ? It's an altrock/baroque/folk/reggae/pinoy-rock/deathmetal band from Madagascar'.
    Your favourite artists - anything that no-one else has heard of.

1-5 points - Slightly Retentive - You do have a few embarrassing things lurking in your collection but by and large your musical taste is relatively sound. However, you would never admit you like this music and will say 'oh that belongs to my girlfriend/boyfriend' if anyone challenges you. You have a tendency to despise anything that may be termed 'popular' and you take pride in displaying your leanings towards the obscure. You probably read the odd issue of Mojo magazine.
    Your favourite artists - an eclectic varied mix including such artists as The MC5, Rush, Beck, Bowie, Brahms and early White Stripes.

6-10 points - Well Adjusted- You just listen to stuff that you like..period. You don't care if it's popular or if it's totally obscure as long as you like it. If someone points at that Michael Jackson album and laughs you would say something like 'yes well some tracks are ok and the Eddie Van Halen solo on Beat It rocks'.
    Your favourite artists - a mix of some classics such as R.E.M. ,Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, some poppy stuff, a few cool alt-rock bands and a smattering of some reasonably obscure artists.

11-14 points - Laughable - You are heavily influenced by the opinions of the general public when you choose your music. Listening to U2's first 2 albums is about as edgy as you get (you believe this is quite cool). You may have some music which is actually quite good but you don't really like it as it was just bought on recommendation of a friend, but you keep it because you think you SHOULD like it. Your favourite music magazine is Q.
    Your favourite artist - The Beatles (only the hits), Coldplay, ABBA, ELO, Take That, The Eagles.

15 points - Totally Clueless - congratulations, your cat is more discerning than you when it comes to music. You will listen to any old crap if it's high in the charts cos that means it must be good. Now and again you will try to branch out from your pop favourites and buy something a bit 'edgy' in a vain attempt to impress people who may see your collection, in these cases it will usually be in the form of some sort of derivative heavy rock music that you may have heard of.
    Favourite artists are likely to be U2, Michael Jackson, Shakin' Stevens and the Scissor Sisters.
  2. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

2/ The Four Seasons - Vivaldi (plus less than 5 random classical based albums in your collection)
    4/ Any of the 'Now thats what I call music' compilations - Though I have had these since I was a kid....
    5/ One - The Beatles (plus less than 4 random Beatles albums that are not compilations) though I have almost every beatles album...

9/ American Idiot - Green Day (but no Green Day albums earlier than this) - Got every album upto this one but none since... SO BAD
    10/ Legend - Bob Marley (but no other reggae albums in your collection) - Got tons of reggae including this
    11/ Nevermind - Nirvana (and it's the heaviest music you own) - have this but tons of heavier.
    12/ The Joshua Tree - U2 - GOD NO
    14/ Progress - Take That
  3. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

2/ The Four Seasons - Vivaldi (plus less than 5 random classical based albums in your collection) (23 albums)
    5/ One - The Beatles (plus less than 4 random Beatles albums that are not compilations)
    9/ American Idiot - Green Day (but no Green Day albums earlier than this) (do have the album with earlier albums)
    12/ The Joshua Tree - U2
    14/ Progress - Take That

1 point.
    My favorite music is extremely strange though...
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

0, I don't really own music, in fact I don't even have a single CD. Just grab whatever I feel like listening to, mostly stuff that fits the atmosphere for me. And that could be old or new music, from any source.
  5. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

During a boring afternoon at work last week we came up with a musical taste test.

Here are 15 albums, you score a point for every one you have in your collection or have ever owned (try and be honest):-

9/ American Idiot - Green Day (but no Green Day albums earlier than this)
    12/ The Joshua Tree - U2
    14/ Progress - Take That

3 points

1-5 points - Slightly Retentive - You do have a few embarrassing things lurking in your collection but by and large your musical taste is relatively sound. However, you would never admit you like this music and will say 'oh that belongs to my girlfriend/boyfriend' if anyone challenges you. You have a tendency to revile anything that may be termed 'popular' and you take pride in displaying your leanings towards the obscure.
    Your favourite artists - an eclectic varied mix including such artists as The Mc5, Rush, Joni Mitchell, Bowie, Brahms and early White Stripes.

I hate when these things are correct! ok onto best youtube video on the net...

6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

2/ The Four Seasons - Vivaldi (plus less than 5 random classical based albums in your collection) <-- I do have Joe Satriani's Neo Classical version of this ^^
    9/ American Idiot - Green Day (but no Green Day albums earlier than this) <--- I have all their albums, including American fail ^^
    11/ Nevermind - Nirvana (and it's the heaviest music you own) <-- I own all there stuff but its no where near the heaviest in my collection.
    12/ The Joshua Tree - U2
    14/ Progress - Take That

Scored 4, but technically 7 because your test is silly!!!!! ^^

Also Fizzee.... Thriller.... Didn't know you were a fan of paedophilia.

@corum - Your test needs a Kpop section :p
  7. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

harsh last I knew that was the world top selling album of all time, being a fan of pedoness is the norm Aspira u nonpedo freak you... u need locked up.
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

9. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

/confirmed
  10. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

But all the albums after that are bad.

But yeah, I score 0 for similar reasons to Aspira
  11. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

American Idiot was pretty bad compared to their earlier stuff though. It was still a good album, but nowhere near as good as their older stuff. International Superhits is by far the best compilation of their best stuff.
  13. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Yeah, I meant to include AA in the badlist, although Warning was where it all started to go wrong :p
  14. Offline

corum Community Member

One for you Katie

..when she hits 16 she's coming to the UK and I'm going to marry her.
  15. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

MJ is one of the most inspirational artists to have lived to modern music. I'm a massive fan of his stuff (minus the most recent stuff he did like heal the world etc). He was deeply disturbed and odd individual and quite possibly involved in sexual activities with minors but personally I believe he was just a person who related to children better as he was child like in mind himself. I don't think he did anything inapropriate with the kids but America was very much on its way towards the over protective way they are now. I've told the story before of my mate talking to a young girl on the bus completely innocently (she was talking to him and he replied) and the mother called him out.

Either way whether he did or did not fiddle kids, His music and dancing was phenomenal, and I'm not going to hate his music just because of an accusation.

Besides, I'm only a fan of paedophilia when it's of baby goats with black midgets.
  16. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

yeah I seen this one
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I bet you have.
  18. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

That could be a little old lady for all I can tell, anyone got a video of them from the front (prefably xrayable)
  19. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

such a diversity in the album list :)

its like

[IMG]

or

[IMG]
  20. Offline

corum Community Member

Ye but we were trying to think of the 2 types of music that people with no taste buy or listen to.....
    1/ stuff that is total crap
    2/ stuff that isn't total crap but which they only like because they believe it's what cool people like

Example = a total nad who doesn't really like anything apart from commercial pap who bought Nevermind because they think it's cool and will make them seem rad.

Or someone who doesn't like classical music at all (which is fine) but thinks it makes them look a bit sophisticated cos they bought The Four Seasons.