The History of Online Gaming

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Tigros, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Offline

Tigros Veteran BOON

2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Nintendo sure know how to make games that appeal to the masses.
  3. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Gamespot and IGN badly reviewed many good old games, so many little gems people don't know about. This chart just generalises it even more.

I lol'd at Duke Nukem Forever. This chart (and other meta charts) show how ridiculously much money Nintendo makes by selling shit that people won't play for more than a week.
  4. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Look at the Top 10 games, damn Nintendo.
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Doesn't mean they are the best though, just means they attract the biggest market (kids and parents).

I mean the top selling anything will contain things in it that will make you go "WTF???", a quick google shows that the top ten most sold music albums of all time contain one from Whitney Houston and one from Shania Twain.... top ten most sold cars list contains a Honda Civic and a Volkswagen Passat..... All these "top selling" lists show is that companies can make a lot of money out of selling random shit if they market it right.
  6. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Oh no I completely agree, this isnt really the Top 10 games based on the games but based on how many were sold due to how they attracted to the masses, largest audiences does seem to be kids/parents, most of my friends have a wii at home.
  7. Offline

Tigros Veteran BOON

Yeah the infographic is not really complete, I haven't seen Guild Wars up there, although it was an important game in the mid 2000s. Nor does it mention MUD's which were pretty big online text based games during the 90s.

But it's fun too read it anyways, even if it's not really 100% accurate.
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

It's funny though, lots of my relatives that never play games and never care about them. They frown at me when I try to explain to them what they're like and why I put so much time in it, yet they all have a Wii. It's because they promoted it to be a fun sport while you'd loose weight, yet it's just gathering dust next to their TV.

Ignorant people that buy Tellsell (TV commercial loose weight crap apparatus) bought the Wii too. For people that have little kids I can assume they actually do use it from time to time. Also many people who swear by Tetris, they don't want to play anything else or even try it, they seem to be forever hooked to it, it's bizarre, usually older people.
  9. Offline

adagio Moderator

Missed out a few things in the chart i would say had a large impact on online gaming. Planetarion was a massive browser based game in the early 2000 that brought mass pvp to browser based games. Xfire, for taking a messenger client and making it for gamers. No Half-life/unreal tournament which launched a 100s mods.

Also i take it the top 10 selling games are including console packages? No one would have brought Duck Hunt unless it was part of a package.
  10. Offline

Agga Community Member

I think Wii appeals to the non gamer as it was advertised very cleverly as party games 'ideal for Christmas' Family get togethers Birthdays etc so they moved peoples concept of video games being anti social single player to a Family inclusive fun addition to your party
  11. Offline

Feidan Community Member

2004 - WoW released.
    Dominates the next 3 years.
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

WHAT! :p
  13. Offline

Lyantha Community Member

They all nabs though!
  14. Offline

Tigros Veteran BOON

Wii is for the casual gamer. I had a Wii as well, and it was fun to take it with me when I was going to visit friends and we were several of us around, playing together and having fun. The hilarious thing was that the girls usually complained why I had brought the thing to play Wii sport with the guys (they felt neglected lol), but yet they were the most fervent and competitive players when they got the chance to play with it themselves :).
  15. Offline

Tal The Architect

It does mention MUDs - look up at 1978 ;)

I was sick in my mouth a little when it reminded my of Gamespy though.
  16. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Gamespy was great back in the day. When it was just an awesome server browser utility.
  17. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I didn't like Gamespy once they started adding it to games automatically, first form of bloatware.
  18. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Yup, but back when it was a pure server scanning utility it was pure awesome.
  19. Offline

Saul Community Member

Myself and 6 of my mates used to run IIS Pro tournaments at my flat, we even all chipped in £20 each and bought a proper trophy and had the winners name engraved. they would then keep it for a week until we organised another one. It was around that time I realised I was no longer a cool Brighton DJ, and realised i was quite sad really and ive never looked back :)
  20. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

Iis pro or Iss pro deluxe, you got me confused there. Are we talking Super Nes?