The Elder Scrolls Online

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Merketh, May 3, 2012.

1. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

[IMG]

Long rumored and much anticipated, The Elder Scrolls Online is finally being unveiled in the June issue of Game Informer. In this month's cover story we journey across the entire land of Tamriel, from Elsweyr to Skyrim and everywhere in between.
    Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.
    "It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."
    An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.
    Come back tomorrow morning for a brief teaser trailer from Zenimax Online and Bethesda Softworks, and later on in the afternoon for the first screenshot of the game. Over the course of the month, be sure to visit our Elder Scrolls Online hub, which will feature new exclusive content multiple times each week. You'll meet the three player factions, see video interviews with the creative leads, and much more.
    The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out in 2013 for both PC and Macintosh.
  2. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Hahahahhha nooooooo
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Without intending to troll, what does this game bring to the table that makes it worth playing ?

I see it being another SWTOR. Due to the IP/lore, all the fans will come play it, like they did SWTOR, but after the novelty of playing an MMO version of their favourite game world wares off, your just going to be left with another generic MMO.

Sure, there isn't a lot revealed and maybe there are some huge new ideas in this game that will be revealed down the line, but I just get the feeling that this will be yet another low quality WoW clone with a re-skin.
  4. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

will play if it has open world PK!
  5. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Khajiit assassins! <3
  6. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I wonder what the factions will be then, probably not race based then. To be honest the entire TES series has always felt like an Open Sandbox to me, very much like an MMO. It just contained a ridiculous amount of lore, I can see this work if they can deliver some high standards but I have doubts as well.
  7. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Cyrodiil, High Rock, Hammerfell / Summerset Isles, Valenwood, Morrowind / Skyrim, Elsweyr, Black Marsh.

Makes the most sense factionwise, Imperials / Elves / Outcasts.
  8. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

9. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

I know there are a few people who hated it, but in my opinion, Skyrim was one of the most amazing games of 2011.
    The non-linear story lines, the extremely well written plots and lore, the graphics, sounds all excellent. There was, in my opinion, one place the game fell down. This was combat. I didn' t notice the lack as much because I was a stealth archer type, but when I did melee it was button mashing.

So in short, they've done a lot of the work already. If they can sort out the combat element to make it more exciting (and I'm sure they'll look at games like KoAmalur, Mount and Blade etc.) then they could really do a great job here.

This is Bethesda... don't write them off!

Gurth
  10. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

according to the early release of the mag (neogaf dissected above)

--Ebonheart Pact: The Nords, Dunmer, and Argoninans
    --Aldmeri Dominion: Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajit
    --Daggerfall Covenant: Bretons, Redguard, and Orcs
  11. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Okay so a few things that people seem to have completely misunderstood:

Elves (mer) would NEVER be allied. Altmer poop on Dunmer.

This is set in the SECOND ERA, meaning it's BEFORE the Septim Dynasty. Meaning that POTENTIALLY we'll get to play the FIRST Aldmeri dominion, but NOT the second as you know from say, Skyrim. Which didn't even exist in the previous games, FYI. (Second Aldmeri dominion is fourth era)

Short Timeline:

Second Era: All sorts of shit goes down lorewise, NO GAME HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN SET IN THIS ERA
    Third Era: All games EXCEPT SKYRIM are set in this era (about ~400 years)
    Fourth Era: Skyrim, and the prestory to Skyrim, basically.
    But wat is dis second era, you might ask. Well, sit down with Lady Maskerad and she'll share her stupid amounts of useless lore knowledge (note: Altmer biased):

Because of the line that it is a millenium before the events of Skyrim, our story starts at approximately 2E 500 (3E is 433 years long, Skyrim happens in the 4E, 2E is 900 years long).

The guilds are all very young: The guild act, which permitted guilds such as the Mages guild, the Fighters Guild and such to exist was formed about 200 years before this. That also means that the disaster that struck Winterhold with the Mages college has not yet happened.

There are NO DRAGONS during this era. The last dragon sighted was in the 2E fourth century.

The Akavir invade Morrowind during this time. As of now we know pretty much nothing about Akaviri, so from a lore-nerd perspective that's really cool. Potentially they will just claim that this happened, as they got killed by Vivec who saved Dunmer. If only he hadn't been such an ass in the firstplace, there'd have been no dunmer. Alas, getting sidetracked.

The Aldmeri dominion has not happened yet: The first one has already ended (this is not the one you think of when I say Aldmeri Dominion) and the second one is only formed in 2E 830. This means that Sumerset Isles and Valenwood are not "claimed" by the Mer.

Talos (Tiber Septim) has not even been born, much less so pissed off all of Tamriel. Thus no Septim empire. Only the true gods exist.

From the leaked info:
    "-The imperials are an enemy to all three factions, lead by the noble Tharn family and the King of Worms, Mannimarco, and are hatching a plot to take over all of Tamriel
    -But BEHOLD, Mannicmarco is scheming with Daedric prince Molag Bal to take over the world behind the Tharn's back"

If this is true then the 1000 year estimate is wrong, and this occurs in the early 3E. Which would be an oversight of about ~500 years. Not sure if that's relevant to you guys. If it turns out that reveal is accurate, I'll write up another post about what's actually true. For now I'm going by the officialy released information.
  12. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Those are some flaky alliances.., was hoping to kill Nords as a Dunmer..
  13. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

14. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

wow this game lore seems to be serious business :p the only elder scrolls i have played was morrowind and i enjoyed it very much.
  15. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

It is, really. It has one of the most extensive timelines of any universe, but only the 3E has been accurately elaborated upon. If it is indeed set in 3E then I'll be sorely disappointed, because 2E is almost completely unexplored and "up for the taking".
  16. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

hmm.. I don't think PvP itself fits TES at all. First there's the balance, then professions that can no longer be over the top, then the community that you face taking you straight out of immersion. TES was never about competitiveness, you also could make your class as overpowered as you liked. Bethesda's games always leaned heavily on the fact that the main PC was one of the most unique and important parts of the story and of its time.

Honestly, I don't need a lore rich premade IP environment for world PvP, in a game that takes place around 3 (or more) faction PvP the entire content should be user created, something ArchAge is sort of leaning onto. I think PvP in TES will simply distract from the atmosphere.

Think a Fallout MMO would've been much easier to create, there's so many wacko's in a wasteland you could replace with ridiculous MMO players that you would barely notice the difference, plus it's a wasteland, just make it big and apocalyptic and you have your PvP environment. But no they make an MMO out of the TES series that puts its strength out of lore/story.

/rant
  17. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

First of all, this is NOT a Bethesda game. This is a ZeniMax Online Studios game. Which isn't to say it will be bad, but it has NOTHING that Skyrim had. No Radiant AI, not that awesome, gorgeous engine (looks more like HERO to me) and not that fantastic storyteam.

As for PvP... Since I'm on the fancy supremecist elf side, I can't see how you think that PvP takes away from the experience. There has always been super strong conflicts in TES and just because the PC can play pinball between factions doesn't mean the factions themselves aren't super strong and enriched lorewise.
    However, you are correct, those alliances are super flaky. Nords and Dunmer are notably stupidly racist and I cannot for my life see why they'd ally, not even against the Dominion. On the other hand, it's not well suited for a 3 way conflict anyhow, and we've seen worse butchery (read: Warhammer Online factions)

That said, this just ISN'T a TES game. It's a standard style MMO with three factions set in the TES universe. It will sell copies, and (potentially) satisify lore nerds like me. From what I've seen now though it's just taking old conflicts and rebranding them, kinda pathetic if you ask me.
  18. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

You know that Zenimax own Bethesda right? A large chunk of the team working at ZmO in Maryland are from the TES teams.
  19. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Oh thanks Maskerad, I really hadn't paid attention to the setting! Thanks for rectifying me :>
  20. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Yep. However, considering this has been in dev since 2007, a large chunk of the Bethesda team was devving Skyrim, and even now working on DLC. And since the person we heard speaking out was Matt Firor (top notch guy btw) I'm suspecting a large part of the team is way different too. On the other hand, I'm not going to take a battle with you on who's working on what games :p