The 6 Most Ominous Trends in Video Games

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Merketh, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

2. Offline

corum Community Member

The most ominous trend in video games is due to them now being so mainstream popular.
    It used to be a cult thing and you'd get many really good quirky original games.
    Now all you get is the lowest common denominator for 95% of games which is pandering to twat console kids who want to mash a button as fast as possible then maybe porting the shit to PC (example - the evolution of Bioware games from half-decent RPGs to button mashing crap).
    Music industry been like that for years.
    Happens with TV series too - decent ones cancelled (SGU - ok story was shit but at least characters were believable) and pop rubbish carries on (Supernatural).
    Same for video games now.

Sad fact is ...95% of the world's population are tasteless c***s whether it comes to movies, music, TV, video games, food, cars, phones...whatever.
  3. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

THIS! We need artist who make a game to be a game and then wonder if anyone will play it later... and less of lets make and average game that appeals to everyone, I want to love games or hate them not just yawn at them and go through the motions... sniff money talks lets not toture ourselves.
  4. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Ow man, how I've missed Corum laying down the law. It's been lonely here without you and your mad rantings! :D
  5. Offline

corum Community Member

Hello Tvar,
    ye I do rant a bit don't I, sorry can't help it :yellowcard:
  6. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Some asmo asked about you last night on telemachus,, I said I was still in some contact but it was hard since you joined a gay comune in Amsterdam.
  7. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

Katie made a funny!
  8. Offline

Shantotto Guest

The worst trend in games, EXP in non-rpg games.
  9. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

Supernatural > you

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
  10. Offline

Sensual Veteran BOON

SO true and nice rant m8!

The problem is that the world is dumbed down - as a teacher I see the results of this every day in school - no imagination and total apathy about the wonders of science.

Everything has been reduced to its lowest common denominator - it started with the newspapers, then tv and has expanded into all walks of life.
    The thing is humans are better than this but are also mentally lazy and will respond to microwaved opinions and experiences - no need for personal input.

I blame it on not reading books at a young age... and a lack of attention from their parents.

/here endeth the lesson...
  11. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I blame mobile phones,, ppl no longer need to think for themselves, use initiative or make any sort of decision... just go dooohhhhh.... speed dial for help.....
  12. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

i blame the scots and their infernal bagpipes of doom
  13. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

and wikipedia/google , you dont have to think or reflect on anything when you can just look it up in a second :p
  14. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Hm, I disagree. I believe I would've missed out on a lot of knowledge personally if there wasn't any Wikipedia or Google'ish search engine. Things you don't learn at school you can look up at your leisure. Sure you can misuse it to copy & paste projects, but honestly my Bachelor studies are based on research and good luck trying to Google something up that doesn't yet exist or hasn't been tested yet.

Aside from that for people who do actually manage to copy & paste stuff completely and try to get away with it, there are plagiarism-scanners. And yes you can fool those scanners, but then you would be putting so much effort in trying to copy and paste stuff you might as-well just finish and write the project yourself.
  15. Offline

Sensual Veteran BOON

Yeh Pete - agree = wiki is amazing

To be honest maybe Corum is right - the majority of peeps just have no taste = probably coz most peeps are just dipshits

Always gonna need people to clean toilets - best they stay dumb :D
  16. Offline

corum Community Member

Ye blame the interwebs and mobile phones all that damn information at your fingertips.
    It was much more fun when you had to find a phone box in the pouring rain to tell your girlfriend you'd be 30 mins late, or leaf through 18 tomes of crap in a library to get some relevant info or flick on the TV to choose between 3 channels :p....when I were a lad we got up before we went to bed, had hot gravel for breakfast blah blah blah /sarcasm off
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Hahahaha.

I love wikipedia, honestly don't know what I would do without it.

I have to agree though that the reason games are the way they are now, is because gaming is now mainstream. When gaming was seen as a nerdy unpopular thing to do, the games were made for the gamers. Now its popular and trendy, the games are made to make money, not to be good games. However, there ARE a few really good games that have came out recently. Games like Starcraft 2 and League of Legends and even Minecraft are just epic. There have been no great MMO's recently (imo) that have been released in Europe. Aion is probably the only one I have played since LotRO first came out that felt like it had more than 5mins spend on designing it. In general though, MMO genre has been weak for a while, lets hope that changes with the new titles coming out in the next year to two years.

In general though, I think the dumbing down and the greedyness of the big companies will continue until something major happens to stop them.
  18. Offline

Agga Community Member

'Nukem' Baby yeah hail the king!!! I blame consoles and too much skunk coming in from liverpoool thus lowering prices and brain cells @ the time.