Terminal Servers

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Divinitas, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

Not sure if anybody here has had any experience with them, Tal maybe?

2x Dual Core GHz, 3GB/4GB RAM , Windows 2003 32bit servers, both servers 7 years old

How many users would you say each server could support?

In an arguments with one of the managers at my company who thinks a certain number i think another, just interested in seeing opinions
  2. Offline

Tal The Architect

No idea sorry, never really had to use thin clients before.
  3. Offline

Saul Community Member

WTF are you talking about Div?? there is no such thing as "Terminal Servers", I'm a VDI architect and I can assure you they do not exist.

Terminal Services are a server service run on various windows servers from NT4 Terminal Services to 2003 and 2008.

If your asking about how many people should be on each server running Terminal Services Sessions, then the answer is 25 concurrent sessions per Citrix/Terminal Services Server, dependent on what you are deploying from those servers.

I would suggest your boss is either a blithering idiot, much as yourself ;) or he is winding you up like asking you to go fetch a bubble for a spirit level.
  4. Offline

Oh don't be such a pedantic twat, you know I meant terminal services, was just thinking of servers when I wrote title :p

My point of view was that on these old servers there should be somewhere around 10-20 users TOTAL

His view is that there should be 25 PER core, 50 PER server so 100 users.
  5. Offline

Saul Community Member

Lol he's wrong and it's not that simple.

If your running say outlook, then outlook is quite resource hungry, so you would have around 15 concurrent sessions allowed from the servers your running Outlook from.

If your running say Adobe Reader and say some Terminal Emulation software, then you could happily increase that to maybe 30 if you were short of servers.

The 25 per Core equation is bollox, as CPU core's do not dictate the user limits in VDI, in fact if you VM them they prefer single core VM's to Dual, simply because Terminal Services and Citrix especially struggle to make the most of 2 cores, they tend to thrash one and pretty much ignore the other.

If you allow 100 sessions on any Citrix Server no matter it's capacity, then I feel sorry for your users, as they will think VDI sucks and is laggy as hell, thats because you have 100 concurrent sessions pulling the same data off the same machine at the same time.

The rule of thumb is 25 concurrent session per server, but like I say that also depends on what you are running off the server.

Looking at the spec of your servers I would initially go with 15 concurrent sessions per server = 30 sessions for both servers, then monitor the CPU and Mem usage and ramp it up over time if you think the servers are dealing with the demand ok.

However like i mentioned previously, focusing on the basic guts of the server is not the right way to go to decide on min/max available sessions, you also need to factor in what you are using them for. I could go into AIE and Application Streaming, but I wont bore you, but again if your doing any of that, you need to think again, same goes for if your deploying Desktops instead of apps, then you have to reduce the number again.
  6. Offline

We don't supply servers like that, they are 7 years old from another company, thats why i told him they need upgrading and he argued like a bitch until my manager got involved and told him to shove it and that we were upgrading them :p

And you know you did ring up for help once, i'm not completely retarded, do understand that its not just about specs, quite obviously if all you are going to do is use notepad you could get away with more than if you were running case mgt systems, dictation and all the other bollocks legal companies use.
  7. Offline

Tal The Architect

100 per server is laughable - Even though I don't know the requirements it's clearly over the top.

If what Saul says is right where citrix can't take full advantage of multiple cores, you could try a VM solution, 1 windows server per core (2 windows VM per server), 15 users per VM. Although RAM will be an issue. Also 7 years old will be an issue as they probably don't have the required acceleration on the CPU :p

Also, windows sucks :D
  8. Offline

Saul Community Member

And Linux is for open source junkies who look like hippies, smell of BO, and think VW Camper Vans are cool. they also don't know what Power Shell can do and script everything in VB anyway, ohh and get blown away by .Net developers. :)

@Div what was that shite again you guys sold?? some low budget document management system??
  9. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

10. Offline

Dunno i just do the tech services, but its certainly not low budget, well not the main ones anyway, the one i chatted to you about (Saul rang me at work, and was like hi its blah blah blah i need help with etc etc etc, and I recongnised his rl name and voice, rang him back and was like dude were you in the army, did you drive tanks, etc etc....anyway...) is some piece of shit that was our main competitor that we bought out.

Basically the main one provides document/case mgt systems to something like 70% of the law firms in the UK, and i supply tech support to about 20% of them. Nightmare dealing with lawyers worst customers ever.

It was 100 over 2 servers Tal, and we do VM also, just up to the consultant who goes out what he can sell them. Hosted is the newest thing but that's a PITA to support remotely.