TERA Korean Server Merge Number 2

Discussion in 'TERA' started by Acina, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Bluehole Studio's TERA action MMORPG is gearing up for its second round of Korean server merges since launch according to a blurb at MMO Culture. The fantasy title, which is currently being prepared for a North American release by En Masse Entertainment, is scheduled to trim its list of 35 shards to 15 this week.

Despite more upbeat news of fresh content in the offing, the merges come amid reports of lower-than-expected financial performance according to publisher NHN Korea. TERA launched in Korea last February and is gearing up for a Japanese beta on July 1st. No North American or European beta dates have been announced.
  2. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Everyone is on the AA beta and it made TERA look bad and now they can't go back to it. That's my theory.
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

TERA is a good game in its own right. It is a different game than AA so they are not really comparable apart from the fact they are both MMOs. AA focuses on the creativity of the sandbox game where as TERA focuses more on skill based combat. Both good games, but different. My personal opinion is that AA has much more depth and will give a longer playtime duration and of the two I would play AA over TERA, but I will still play TERA.
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Lack of endgame is my guess, we never reached it but it already felt like there was some sort of missing purpose/goal in the game. I'm not happy with this but I honestly can't say I didn't see it coming. Too bad, the game looked incredibly sexy and the animations were the best I've seen in any MMO.

I doubt ArchAge is the cause of this, TERA was already in a bit of a decline far before AA CBT and Aion's actually doing better in Korea apparently.
  5. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Aions been #1 in korea for a while, i think l2 is 2nd and tera third.

Simply put atm you could burn through teras content in a month or so, and then you're left in the same position as rift/WHO/DC/etc.
    Good news is unlike aion the tera updates feel more substantial and should be quite a lot more content added before it arrives here.

I'm thinking tera as a stepping stone to archeage as I'm going to give GW2 a miss, unless after 2 months the majority of people are still playing it/think it's good.
  6. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Aion in Korea barely felt the release of TERA, it's still going strong and is the MMO of choice, l2 and Lineage are up there as well with TERA trailing off in 5th position. TERA was released too soon - think STO too soon or AoC too soon, basically the game will be good 6 months from now, but in it's current state is far too broken.

For us in the west this could be a good sign, but that depends on the lag between patches here, if TERA is released in the west in it's current state it will fail faster than we've seen with any other MMO in recent years, if they are only 1 patch behind Korea then it might stand a decent chance at survival :)

Ofc the norm will happen, all the hardcore die hards will play for 1 month and then probably quit, as has happened in many other games of late (think of all the supposed die hards that played Aion and had quit before the middle of the 2nd month because it was too hard/grindy/unrewarding etcetera).

Sent using my Fruit!
  7. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

i played gw1 for 3 years, i'm fairly sure me and the people that played gw1 will play gw2 for a long time, unless some cataclysmic event happens in our lives.
  8. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Yeah I still only see myself playing GW2 "properly" until something like Archage or WH 40k comes along out of what we see atm. Although I will play SW and Tera too.
  9. Offline

Shantotto Guest

I played FFXI for longer than you played GW1, and was more hyped for FFXIV than you are for GW2, and I'm still rational enough that I cancelled my pre-order after beta.

tldr, dont be an idiotic fanboy, be a realistic one :p
  10. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I may play SW:TOR with Kephir and a bunch of his friends pretty thoroughly, and move on to AA when BOON is going all out on it. It'll depend between SW:TOR or GW2 which'll get me hooked first, but if both have a good amount of content I may only play 1 out of the 2. If both GW2 and SW:TOR end up failing to provide enough content in PvE, and the PvP does not feel accomplishing enough I'll probably end up playing something competitively (maybe 5v5 in GW2, or even pick up an FPS if there is one at the time). So 3 games on the radar for me, anything else will be a bonus.

I'll see about TERA but I'm not anticipating the PvE prospect it has, nor do I feel they thought over the PvP part well enough yet either, hopefully the patch may change it but I have my doubts.
  11. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

This server merge is a bad news for the game indeed but its not a surprise; game was mostly empty already when I played it.
  12. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Hoping SWTOR will keep me going for many years (maybe its wishful thinking :p) if not i will try GW2 though i have never played GW1. But i will probably play diablo 3 if SWTOR fails. None of these korean mmo's excite me much tbh.

the future is looking grim and dark... until it gets darker in a good way with WH40K!!
  13. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

exactly.
    i played gw2 already and it was better than anything else i played before and after too...

So basically... i'm not being idiotic fanboy, i'm building an informed opinion!
  14. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

On topic, a game this young and getting server merges is a red flag and warning signal imo. Goes without saying really, even though it might be just like Aspira said, a nice game with lots of skill involved or whatever.
    Same same, not overly hyped about AA but yeah, GW2 will hopefully last more than a month, not too sure about SWtor and Tera but I guess they're worth trying (a life-span of one month foreseeable). Other than that, 'tis like Doodle and KC says. WH40k - big hopes. Hopefully E3 and the coming game expos will give some infos.
  15. Offline

Domain Veteran BOON

it may sound a bit bad, but if they are doing it, its probably for the best. most of the times, in these games, the high-end content is only fully enjoyable if there is a quorum of ppl "per" shard, and 15 shards is not such a short number ...

GW2 is going to be a blast, and i know i'm going to play the game for more than 1 month, and probably way more than a year, the diference is, these guyz (arenanet) know what they are doing, they are not some third rate developers with a taste for graphics. every single aspect of the game is incredibly polished, and thats why they will get it, and i will get it.
  16. Offline

Shantotto Guest

There were DAOC fanboys saying the same thing about WHO during the beta, look how that turned out.

Turn the fanboy goggles off for a few mins :p
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I think calling Bluehole Studios a "third rate developer with a taste for graphics" is harsh and untrue since the game offers more than graphics, it just got released too early, as do most MMOs.

I assume that comment was directed at Bluehole studios since this is a TERA thread about TERA....
  18. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Or maybe rift...

On a second thought no way graphics were too bad in that game.
  19. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

And the animations were like the work experience boy did them.
  20. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

I would like to point out that chunks of GW2's graphics were dine by the work experience kids :p

Sent using my Fruit!