Tanking builds

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Wonsie, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Offline

Wonsie Veteran BOON

Got a few requests to post my tanking builds on the forum. So will take this time to post em now.

This is my single target tanking build.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cghE.xszqI0V0z.E0Rh00V.xE00oz
    About having 5points into 5% block in warlord soul or have it in 50% better aspect for 15 more endurance. Is kind of a matter what group members you have in your party.

This is my trash mobs/aoe tanking build. (made this spec 5min ago) so havent tried it, had a different spec before.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cghA.xszqI0c0z.E0Rb00V.Vhqdh
    This is my newset spec, been changing around a lot of things in this, so I bet in a day or 2 the build is going to look way difference.
  2. Offline

Lilith Community Member

I was messing around with the souls and I came up with this for aoe tanking:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0chEA.E0Ro.xV0Vou.Vuqth0zV0k

You have 2 aoe taunts that do not share same cd (incite + 1 more from the other souls), you have intercept and imposing(which is the best threat generating ability). A lot of pure dmg reduction from "Power from the masses" reaver talent. 20 pts in warlord is that aoe cleave which hits 8 targets and its on 10sec cd.

Keep in mind I only tanked in beta so im just sharing my thoughts here w/o actually knowing how well would that work. Let me know what do you think abt the build.
  3. Offline

Lyantha Community Member

VK mitigation seems superior to Reaver mitigation though, Reaver aggro management seems way better than the rest though.
    I can't seem to be able to spare more than one slot for a tank build, so would have to be 'all purpose'
    Used to go Pala/Reaver/Warlord for leveling instances and that worked fine for me, but kinda failed on experts (maybe due to lack of toughness also at the start)
    This: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cghE.gc0VI0c.E0Muo0Vszrz.xV seems viable...

One little question though. Is it best to invest in dodge or block in the warlord tree if you can only take one of them.
    5% chance to completely dodge attacks seems better than 5% chance to block no?
  4. Offline

Gekido Community Member

It depends.... if you focus on pala tree, which is basically a block tank, you definitely take block, if you use more of a hybrid build like 20/26/20 or smth like that, you can take either one or both, you wont be good at any of it anyway :D despite that block only reduces damage and doesn't nullify it, it's more reliable than dodge or parry and occurs more often.
  5. Offline

Wonsie Veteran BOON

6. Offline

Lilith Community Member

yea wonsie it seems very hard to keep those buffs up in a fight where you have to pay attention to so many other things.

About your AoE build: that "wasting away" reaver talent is just wasting away your points :p. Get 3/3 crest mastery instead maybe?
  7. Offline

Lyantha Community Member

If you want to keep up RS/RA you probably won't go for 3pt finishers.
    In general if thought you had about 20% chance not gaining a pact from doing melee hits, quality care and getting damage from spells. Just throw in a quick 1pt pact conversion and you're set again.
    It is higher maintenance though.
  8. Offline

Wonsie Veteran BOON

Usually the problem is not that i dont have time to keep it up, it is the lack of energy. Going to try some spec in order to hopefully get energy back to me. Because the 9 energy it costs every 5seconds to keep that buff up, when I'm already energy starved is harsh.

Because it is allways a balance like, when do I have enough aggro to actually waste energy on mitigation? no point for me to buff mitigation if i cant hold aggro, but att the same time the 50% str makes me hit way harder which probably gives me more threat aswell.

I'm thinking really hard to think of a good way of tank, because it is harsh to keep 5seconds buffs up, and also keep up one 12seconds one, and another 15seconds buff, then i havent counted aggressive block that is 15seconds buff also.
  9. Offline

Wonsie Veteran BOON

Not to sure about the Reaver spec atm, fucking great to keep aggro with, just amazing aoe tanking. Not a chance people take aggro from you, abilities are so cheap just no way you get ragestarved in reaver spec.

But then again, I have never played a harder spec. The attention you have to have is just to much. Keeping track of 3different dots and put up a 4th dot every 30seconds, and at the same time, you have to keep up a 10seconds skill all the time. That is just the attacking skills.

Then keeping up 10 stacks of power of madness is also a pain, and at the same time keep up aggresive block from paladin soul. There is so much to keep track off.
  10. Offline

Wonsie Veteran BOON

This have been one of the fun specs, I have never gotten to try yet.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cLhE.VGcx00M.E0MhzciczM.xx0m

Check it out and comment, do i only have to pick tanking souls? :D

Would be really fun to see the damage the bosses hits themself for when they crit me, with 45% of the critical damage returns to the target as fire damage.

The thing about that spec is that, there is a few options and ways to spec it, one way is the spec 20 points into riftblade to get 10% all damage reduction, the other way is to take 2 points away in order to take the aspect take make you walk 10% faster and 6% dodge.

What does 2 points out of the riftblade soul would give intercept and imposing :D

there is also an option to go 44 points paladin 20p riftblad and rest into warlord. But atm I dont think it is worth this spec, since the mitigation of other souls is probably way better :D
  11. Offline

Wonsie Veteran BOON