SWTOR gameplay (flashpoint instance) from pax east 2011

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Doodle, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

2. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Same Old Shit: Space edition.
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

All these conversations and stuff are going to seriously slow down the game. Hopefully you can skip all the story shit and get straight to pewpewing each other or I will more than likely fall asleep playing this game.

Also, I don't know if its just because the guys playing in that video are terrible players (just lol at the clicking) but the gameplay just looks REALLY slow and unexciting. I would have thought that Star Wars would have force abilities and explosions and shit happening all over the place. Kinda just random blaster fire and the odd nade..... I hate to say it but that video was really dull imho.
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Gameplay looks a bit like DC Universe but with dialogue for the whole party. Hopefully people that I end up partying with won't just skim through every conversation when playing with them, that'd suck.

I actually liked what I saw though, animations aren't as terrible as I thought they'd be, the atmosphere seems to be alright. The only thing I got a bit annoyed with was that the lightsabers look a bit dull, they need to glow and flash more!

I'll probably have to go through some people so I can play this with persons that will actually go through the whole dialogue thing and atleast try and enjoy that part of the game rather then trying to rush it.

EDIT: seems I am not levelling with Aspira :p, skipping conversations not in this game for me!
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Haha Pete.

The animations are good dude, but the game looks slow. Coming from FPS games into MMO's I like MMO's that have fast combat. RIFT is an insanely slow paced game and to me atleast, SWTOR looks similar if not a little slower paced. I have a VERY short attention span as your all probably quite aware and I have very very little patience at times, so a game that combines slow game/combat speed with lengthy dialogue will probably not be for me..... which sucks as I was kinda looking forward to playing this.

PS. I will most likely buy this, pretend to be Ketz, join Petes group and spam skip all cut scenes!!! :p
  6. Offline

Tal The Architect

Wha..? This is what made Age of Conan great (At least the first 20 levels) and it was one of the few games I actually understood why I was doing some quests. Nowadays it's just "click, click, kill mobs, hand quest in, click, click" and repeat.
  7. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

You could skip in AoC though. So when you wanted to listen to a cut scene you could, but if you were in pewpew grind mode you could skip it.
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Im sure its skipable when you have to do the same content twice (for ex. PvE raids) but choices are going to define a few things in this game so I doubt its completely skipable.

But talking about AoC, I think they did that pretty well there (till level 20 for obv. reasons). They phased you out of the normal playing area when you were doing story quests.

I don't care if they do or don't though, I'd much rather play a very slow paced game that's enjoyable throughout the levelling time than having to quickly rush to endgame. Even though WoW didn't have any dialogue choices and quests were generally pretty bland the levelling experience was still by far the best memory of the whole game and it wasn't my first major MMO.

I still don't understand the ''competitiveness'' in most MMO's though, sometimes it feels like they're trying to become E-sport games like some FPS games...without quick reaction or aiming required, just amount of time consumed. Unfortunately many people forget about having fun pretty quickly when they start getting adrenaline pumped by competition or progress.
  9. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Dead Mines with Star Wars skins... yawn.
  10. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Seems like they will be stuck in every game like that until they make a game working like Fallout 3/NV or TES Oblivion in an MMO setting. Basically an MMORPGFPS lol... Until then we're stuck with the same old instances looking at characters from a 3rd person perspective and skill clicking/pressing.

So far only TERA has promised an aiming system, but it still uses the same old skill system like any other MMORPG. I think we're looking at 5 years in the future before something ''new'' comes out, by then it'll probably doesn't even feel special anymore. Guess we're stuck with Deadmines since every MMO has shat on the PvP aspect lately.
  11. Offline

Tal The Architect

Well let's face it, you can't really make the first dungeon super innovative. It could be too hard and put people off.

It could be a good game, I'm hoping it is. I haven't really played a good Star Wars game at all except Jedi Knight II. The biggest problem is that a lot of games are massively over-hyped too. Personally I'm looking for a game that has a great levelling experience tied in with some well thought out mass PvP endgame (read: siege warfare).
  12. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

That looks shit tbh. Hugely disappointed very clunky/slow combat, half the time the chars just stand around doing nothing. urgh!
  13. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

If I looked forward to SWTOR I'd be horribly dissapointed. Saying that, I knew it would be shit from the beginning.

Oh, and the "advanced tactics" were glorious. The tank tanks, the healer heals? Really now? ^^
  14. Offline

Saul Community Member

Daniel Erickson has been quoted saying "Our plans have always been the same, but the first 20 levels of Age of Conan, and peoples reactions to them, just affirmed we were on the right track and that our approach of story Immersion would appeal to the wider community".
  15. Offline

Shantotto Guest

It looks a lot like DCU in terms of how the instances work and storytelling.

4 man instances though? Hmmmmm not sure that bodes well for endgame.
  16. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea this was another thing that got me a bit concerned. 4 man groups is really too small imo. Raids and PvP battlegrounds are all going to be multiples of 4 and since raids/battlegrounds are usually set up as 2 group or 4 group, does this mean the largest form of group combat outside of world PvP will be 8 or 16 man ?

I mean okay, I usually play world PvP more than raids/battlegrounds (if its done properly, which it usually isn't) but at some point you are going to want/have to do an instance, a raid, or a battleground, and 4, 8, 16 player groups/raids seems very small. Guess we just need to wait and see how it pans out once we start playing, but I see it being an issue with large guilds as this will force little cliques to form.
  17. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Decent PvP? In SW:TOR?
    spxdY.jpg
  18. Offline

Amaris Community Member

Darth Amaris kills all.
  19. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

omg the hate. It's bioware guys this is going to be the ONLY mmo where i understand what the fuck is going on because i will actually be forced to be a part of the story and thats just amazing :D

i am really looking forward to this game, will it be a good multiplayer game? maybe, i really hope so. will it be a WTFOMGAWESOMEZOMG "solo" mmo? YES!
    My first ever MMO was star wars galaxies i guess im biased in that way since i really loved SWG and thats what got me in to MMO gaming (i played CS before =p) I am longing for a kickass star wars mmo. My darth Doodle is going to be a mean bastard thats for sure
  20. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

My guess is just that different people like different things, it would be nicer if random bashing wouldn't exist but this is the internet... Your (biased) opinion will be heard even if its unwanted :p.

Other than that I can see why people don't expect much, the graphics are not groundbreaking and the mechanics (combat) are nothing new. Also EA (and WAR's EA Mythic) are part of this MMO aswell, it immidiately puts a bad taste in people's mouths. That are generally people's biased opinions :p, let's hope im just being pessimistic. This game could vary from being amazing, catered to fans only, be just a decent MMO or just a plain flop. But I'll define wether its good or not myself by playing it thoroughly when its out without basing my experience on reviews or other people's opinions, this is the genre I like and if this game is anything decent I'll make it my home until I run out of content :). Not everyone liked KOTOR 1 or 2 either, but I did and with it most other Starwars games aswell.