Streaming from server to TV

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Aspira, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

So I am looking for a bit of help with ideas on streaming from my server to my TV.

My server is an HP Proliant and I use it as a media center/downloader that all of my TV/Movies/Anime/etc. gets stored onto.

My TV is a 5 year old 42" so it does not have an ethernet port on it, however it does have multiples of all the standard connections such as HDMI.

At the moment, I use an xbox360 (don't laugh, I got it for free) connected via HDMI to stream from my media center to my TV, and it works fine..... as long as you use very basic file types such as .avi. If you try and use file types such as .mkv or try and play any file that is soft subbed (it has the subtitles in the same folder as the video in a .ass file) then the xbox just shits itself and doesn't know what to do.

I have tried using PS3MediaCenter installed on my server to transcode the files from whatever format they are in, to .avi while they are playing. This works to a degree. The xbox understands the transcode and plays it fine, however since my server doesn't have a super amazing processor (its just a file storage box) the transcoding stutters, so it makes the stream unwatchable as you need to let it buffer for 10 seconds every 30 seconds.... not ideal.

So.... I am looking for anyone to give advice on a method in which I will be able to do this without buying a new TV (I really cant afford to buy a similar size and quality of TV just to get one with an ethernet port).

The two options suggested to me so far are;

1. Buy a PS3, it supports almost every file type as standard.
    2. Buy a Western Digital Media Streamer (http://www.ebuyer.com/289780-wd-tv-live-air-hd-media-streamer-wdbgxt0000nbk-uesn)

Out of the two options (assuming they both work) the Western digital Media streamer is the one I would prefer because its like over a hundred pounds cheaper than a PS3.

Does anyone else have any suggestions ?
  2. Offline

adagio Moderator

I take it you are still on windows on the server? Also does the server have any gfx processing power?

Should have used a ubuntu based server you lightweight.
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

4. Offline

adagio Moderator

Yeah the same one I have. I take it the limitation is the Xbox not encoding properly. So you either need a good media player on the Xbox so it can in all purposes download and play the film.

Or the long way round have the server play the movie and then stream. Unlikely though as the server has no gfx acceleration.

I have a 360 in a drawer somewhere so I might try tonight. Also been meaning to write a guide on how my server automatically downloads the latest episodes for me and then sorts them.
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea the problem is that is you try and play something that isn't a super basic file type like .avi for example, the xbox just doesn't understand what it is.

It has a VERY limited amount of file types that it supports, and unfortunately, pretty much all the file types that I download in are not supported (.mkv being the most used and not supported).

Tbh, I am just trying to figure out if there is any way to get this to work without buying the Western Digital Media Streamer, as I would prefer not to have to spend £70 to get it to work, but either way, £70 is a lot cheaper than I would be able to get a 42" smart TV for, so if that is what I need to do, then so be it.
  6. Offline

Tal The Architect

Buy a slim line graphics card and play it direct from the box.
  7. Offline

Saul Community Member

Here we go again tal :)

XBMC on your media server, decent gfx card and stream via xbmc direct to hdmi on the tv. you can even get a free xbmc remote control app for your HTC. btw WD Media streamed, Boxee Box, etc, all for lazt cunts who have no idea what they are doing and has way less fatures as XBMC which is free
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea I was looking into and tbh, I can get a shitty graphics card with HDMI output for a lot less than the WD Media Streamer, so pretty sure I will just pick up a random gfx card and download XBMC and the android remote app.

Probably will pick up this: http://www.ebuyer.com/272721-xfx-hd-6450-1gb-ddr3-dvi-hdmi-low-profile-graphics-card-hd-645x-znh2
  9. Offline

Saul Community Member

That should do it bud..
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

So the GFX card arrived, its installed, XBMC downloaded and installed and everything is working fine.

All my files that I couldn't play before are now able to be streamed with no jittering and its even picking up subs too, which is great as a lot of my stuff is soft subbed.

My only issue atm, maybe one that Tal or Saul can help with, is the remote app on my phone will not connect to my server.

I have change the settings on XBMC to allow HTTP control, and put in a name/pw and changed the port to something obscure. When I try and connect using my phone, it just says that the connection failed on the ip/port.

Any ideas ? Do I need to open ports on the router to allow XBMC to be controlled via the phone ?
  11. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Update: Tried three different XBMC remote apps and tried multiple different ports and each time I get an error saying that it has failed to connect, please check my ip/port.

Now I am using the ipv4 IP for the server that is returned when doing "ipconfig /all", so I assume that is the correct IP.

So does this mean my router is being the issue by refusing to let the phone connect via the ports I have been trying ?
  12. Offline

Tal The Architect

Turn off windows firewall
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

This is why you are my friend.
  14. Offline

Saul Community Member

This.. Followed by

This

= Priceless...