Starcraft 2 Microtransactions

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Maskerad, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Hey guys, as I said I probably won't do this very often, but I posted another article over at RTSguru, this time touching upon the topic of the opportunities for Microtransactions in SC2. While I don't necessarily 100% support all of 'em, I think it's a cool idea in general.

Here's the article.

Besides, it's a shitstorm subject. You guys should love it.
    no offense <3
  2. Offline

Angelo Community Member

All I wonder is when the hell they're going to offer name changes, I know they're doing it on purpose so players at a high level buy new accounts if they change team and stuff but come on.
  3. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Believe me, took ALL my willpower to not put that in the article. I honestly don't know, as there's obviously a system for it. I suspect they actually do want to launch it together with some other payment stuff.
  4. Offline

Tal The Architect

I think portraits and decals are cool. But that's where they should draw the line.
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Agree with this.

All the custom user made content should be free. The Blizzard made maps are usually inferior to player made stuff anyway.
  6. Offline

adagio Moderator

Pfft, you should pay me money for dwarf wars.
  7. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

With Arcade, that's probably going to be a thing.
  8. Offline

adagio Moderator

Let's be honest no one should pay anything for the standard of mods that are out. Any idiot can make one :)
  9. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

True, but I think it's a good incentive nonetheless. The SC2 engine is strong and is about to get stronger :3
  10. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

As I posted in the esports thread, you are talking about a company who just released a new mount in WoW for £25

Blizzard will extort stupid amounts of money for maps etc which are worse than fan made ones. Just look at what CoD did, I honestly believe that Activision is advising this change, which will mean the demise of mods and maps unless it's blizzard made or endorsed.

I hope this is just a logical fallacy, but I just don't trust Activision and I've lost huge amounts of faith in Blizzard in the past few years.
  11. Offline

adagio Moderator

Remember just 4 years ago when wow was untouchable. Franchises such as warhammer and lotr couldn't get near it. Blizzard listened to what its players wanted. We made our own pvp in southshore, so they gave us warsong gulch etc.

Then it just stopped. It just stood still. Pvp stopped being innovative and became simple attack and defend. Epic stories just fizzled out into let's do dungeons and get purples. Stupid show ponies came from nowhere and cost money. Even now its said the next major content update could be 8 months away.

I know gaming has changed since that 26 year old cs clan leader first took his warrior into gnomeregon and said "wtf is going on." I remember days of saying I was there when boon did the twins and cthun. These days your more likely to say remember when so and so brought that show pony. That hurts.
  12. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Wait.... All I read was Ponies... :p
  13. Offline

adagio Moderator

Ssshh, that's the next expansion after the pandas.