Starcraft 2 Advice

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by adagio, May 4, 2011.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

So I decided to actually try in the league system and found out unsuprisingly I am crap. I did play late at night so did come up against players probably more experienced and higher up. The question is what is the best way to go from here?

I play terran so these are the questions I have.

Is it best to have one build and practice it solidly?
    Are their any website that have timings and build orders together?
    How do you stop a 4 gate rush as 5 players used last night on me?
    Is it wise to use a g15 keyboard like i am doing now? Its set up so that when I press g1 it makes a miner, g2 marine etc.

Any other help would be nice. I'm not serious about winning just to make life hard for the other players.
  2. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

The general idea is that it doesn't matter how much you lose if you can reach the point where your macro doesn't slip. If your macro is still slipping (as it should, in bronze) improve on that first and foremost. Learning one build (as those 4gaters had) does not make you better at starcraft, it just lets you win. Same goes for 6pools etc.
    You should expect to lose a boatload. I would suggest playing against the AI on Very hard/whatever is above it on fastest, and continously practice your macro (winning or losing is irrelevant, the computer uses a strat you don't see often). When you feel comfortable building units, buildings, keeping your supply low and your mapcontrol high you should start playing the leagues.

As for 4gates, don't be greedy in bronze. Take a late expo, you can afford it, start pumping units early.
  3. Offline

Tal The Architect

Bunker up, choose a choke point for it. Top of your main's ramp is usually quite good.
    I wouldn't personally. It will make you lazy. It also doesn't really let you check your queues etc if it's instant.
  4. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Use of a g15 can get you banned, it's considered using macros and is against the rules.

To answer the other questions in order:
    Have 1 build vs T, 1 vs P, 1 vs Z, only use these builds until you get into diamond, then start trying more stuff out.
    You're playing Terran, Protoss should not be able to successfully 4gate you at all.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Terran_Strategy

To be honest, you could use 1 build ( imo cloak banshee into expo or an allin ) is viable to carry you to diamond if you macro well enough.

The main things to learn are really good macro and good scouting.
    There are 50 APM players in masters league, it's the last thing you should ever worry about on your quest to become not awful :p
  5. Offline

adagio Moderator

The first league I was put into was silver after a 3_2 winning ratio in the qualifying thing. One loss was due to a random blue screen, the other a 4 gate rush . The 6 games I lost last night were all either 4 gate or muta builds.
  6. Offline

adagio Moderator

I might use yabot tonight to use one strat against a ai 4 gate. A few other questions, do you use queuing on miners or do you use a timer in your head? Should my first build be a 3 barracks mmm push?
  7. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Sweet, with Adagio playing this now, looks like I won't be BOONs shittest SC2 player!!!

AS for queuing/timings its best to not have full production queues as its spent minerals sitting in a queue doing nothing when they can be spent elsewhere. Queuing up like 2 or 3 SCV's is fine, but I wouldn't do thinks like have 8 marines in a queue as you could easily use some of those minerals to buy another rax or an ebay to start upgrades.

For me I use the food count as a rough guideline as to when I think I should be doing things initially, then after my first attack I usually don't base things off of it anymore and instead use the game clock and scouting to find good windows to attack and when to defend etc. etc.
  8. Offline

Shantotto Guest

You shouldn't queue units ever, but a small queue overlap is acceptable for most players ( even GSL level players queue to a small degree ).

4Gate is like a default loss against terran though, you should never ever ever lose to it. 1 bunker and a few SCVs is all it takes to hold even if you don't know it's coming.

3rax push... hmm which MU? I wouldn't use pressure builds against toss/terran, I would definitely use a pressure build against every zerg you meet until masters though :p
  9. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Actually, the most important thing to learn as a newbie is _always spend your resources_.

Like, even if it's for something completely retarded, just spend 'em. It's hard to screw up with that in mind.
  10. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

This is my massive downfall I always end up with loads of resources :(
  11. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

With Spanishiwas style being very frequent with lower level players now I wouldn't be so sure about defaulting to pressuring zerg.
  12. Offline

Odd double post...
  13. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered SC2, so I'll probably be BOON's worst player by the weekend :p

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
  14. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Oh and most important tip aside from working on your macro, the minimap is the place you should be looking at the most, the rest of the screen is almost irrelevant :p
  15. Offline

Shantotto Guest

If you snag an overlord or two in the first 6 mins you almost win by default. Besides, the style is the same the level of play isn't, you'll still crush bad players with pressure, because under pressure peoples macro/micro/gameplan slips - if you execute better you win.
  16. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

oh fuck, with 2 newbies playing I feel tempted to buy it too :>, but I love Zerg so regardless it being the most difficult I cannot play the other 2. So i will suck more then you Acina
  17. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Just means you gotta ball harder Pete :D
  18. Offline

Anybody fancy getting some 2v2/3v3/4v4 going as well then? :p
  19. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

In bronze all your overlords are hiding scared in a corner. (or at least should be, because you're not good enough to know where to place them :p)
    And no, there are pressure-safe builds and pressure-fragile builds. I think you are seeing things a bit too black and white here.
  20. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Below masters it is black and white. There are very specific identifiable reasons people lose games. Tactical choices are usually last on a very long list of common mistakes.