sound cards

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by adagio, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

I need a new sound card as my onboard sound seems to be having trouble with multi channel sounds.

Are creative any better on the drivers or is it still bloatware? Are asus still the best or is there a new contender? Also is it possible these days to get separate jacks for headphones and speakers? Money isn't much of a problem Aslong as we don't go silly ;)
  2. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Creative has terrible drivers, but ASUS drivers are pretty poor as well. Still if you only need a cheap soundcard just get a ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 , can emulate EAX too but the sound quality isn't much better than onboard Realtek HD.

Spend a little more and the Xonar cards become a lot better sound quality wise, your choice. The only problem I had with my ASUS Xonar DG was that whenever a game crashed the sound kept hanging as well, until a PC reset. Probably a driver issue, but it was annoying enough to stick with onboard.
  3. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Nothing can beat my external audio interface! :D
  4. Offline

adagio Moderator

Problem solved, had a old xonar d1 in one of my old comps. Never added it to this comp as it always had trouble with ts. New drivers seemed to have cleared that issue.
  5. Offline

TOMMCAT Veteran BOON

I have an Asus Xonar D1. Is pretty good. But the drivers from the asus homepage have some issues. Try find the unified Asus xonar drivers. I heard that they are pretty good. I have the Asus homepage drivers for D1 and sometimes i have problems ( some effects won't work sometimes )
  6. Offline

adagio Moderator

I did have one of those dumbass moments last night while working out the surround sound wires. For some reason the xonar d1 doesn't have colour coded jacks on the back plate. It would have been to easy to download the .pdf instructions to work it out.

So I turned on some music and blindly started pushing cables in and out. No matter what I did only sound would come out of the green front jack. I changed Windows sound and asus software to 5.1 but nothing changed.

I was finally about to give up and buy a better sound card when I realised on my logitech speaker volume control two lights were on. One for power, the other to turn surround sound off.

Good job brain.
  7. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Reformat drive C:!