Skyrim - ini tweaks and general troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by F U R I E, Nov 11, 2011.

Welcome to the BOON Control Community!
You're currently viewing our site as a guest user. or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions - as well as removing advertisements!

1. Online

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Disable the xbox controller option in the gameplay tab to have a much smoother UI navigation.

How do I fix the crash to desktop?
    1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound
    2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties
    3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu
    How do I fix some sound issues, such as hearing static during NPC dialogue?
    1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound
    2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties
    3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu
    How do I disable the smooth mouse settings?
    1. Go to your Steam Directory -> steamapps -> common -> skyrim -> Skyrim
    2. Create a backup of the SkyrimPrefs.ini file
    3. Open the file, then scroll down to where it says [Controls] and find bMouseAcceleration=1
    4. Change to bMouseAcceleration=0
    5. Save, exit, and play
    How do I fix the vsync ("laggy mouse") problem?
    1. Go to your Steam Directory -> steamapps -> common -> skyrim -> Skyrim
    2. Create a backup of the SkyrimPrefs.ini file
    3. Open the file, then scroll down to where it says [Display]
    4. Add to the bottom of the section iPresentInterval=0
    5. Save, exit, and play
    How do I change the FOV?
    1. Go to your My Documents -> My Games -> Skyrim -> skyrim
    2. Create a backup of the skyrim.ini file
    3. Open the file, then scroll down to where it says [General]
    4. At the bottom of this section, add fdefaultfov=XX (where XX is the FOV value you want to change to)
    5. Save, exit, and play
    http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/m7zja/tweaks_to_make_skyrim_that_much_better/

The SkyrimPrefs.ini is located in Documents\My Games\Skyrim. Make a backup as usual.

Interesting variables are as follows, in order of appearance in the .ini and showing their default settings.
    bDoDepthOfField=1
    bTreesReceiveShadows=0
    bDrawLandShadows=0
    bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
    bShowQuestMarkers=1
    bShowCompass=1
    bMouseAcceleration=1
    fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000

FOV adjustment

Have found no way to change FOV outside the game so far (only the fov n console command like Oblivion). Changing the FOV via the in-game console carries over between reloads and sessions. Here are some comparison screenshots. They were taken at 1920x1080, and there wasn't much fisheye at 100 degrees. I settled at 95 degrees.

Comparison of bTreesReceiveShadows and bDrawLandShadows values

Obviously having TreesReceiveShadows on gives trees tons more depth.

The rock casts subtle shadows on itself, basically. Note that the larger shadows are unaffected; this is a subtle effect, but an important one, I think.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1255692-skyrim-pc-ini-and-console-tweaks/
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

bTreesReceiveShadows=1
    bDrawLandShadows=1

I love em. those two look great and seem to have no impact on the performance. Please report if you any issues with them.
  3. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

lol good advert for a game here's how to sort all the bugs!
  4. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

this is normal for one of the elder scrolls games. takes nothing away from their brilliance!
  5. Offline

Tvar Warcraft Officer

DONT BE FLAMING!!1!!111
  6. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

You can also bring up console with tilde and type fov 90 to get fov of 90
  7. Online

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Yea but you have to type it everytime you launch the client, changing the value directly into the ini will save you some work.
  8. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Should stick, not tested that but the site I got it from said it sticks.
  9. Online

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Dunno, i tried it yesterday and im pretty sure it didnt. I might be wrong tho.
  10. Online

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Be sure to disable the controller option in the gameplay tab (its on by default) and the menu navigation will become much smoother.
  11. Offline

gir Veteran BOON

console command to re customize your looks

also dont think it will work out so well if you change race
  12. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

ToggleCollision (tcl) has saved me once or twice. Saved me at one or two bugged locations ^^
  13. Offline

Karasu Community Member

I've heard shadows are calculated at CPU level instead of GPU. Can anyone confirm that? After a bit of switching it appears to be my only factor I can't put on maximum for normal framerates. CPU: i7 960, GPU: Radeon HD 5850
  14. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

sounds unlikely with your CPU, i got an i7-920 and even increased the shadow resolution via .ini , all running epic good on max details :) its proly ur GPU and/or drivers, u should check www.skyrimnexus.com i saw a bunch of threads and mods fixing performance issues for ATI cards
  15. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

is anyone else is using the ENBSeries Patch everyone is praising so much? I just removed it coz it seems to do more trouble than good. Supposedly if fixes graphical artifacts and flickering. I had a lil flickering in the water sometimes, actually really rarely when entering/leaving a city so i thought cool that will fix it but its made it much worse, got flickering in water and even some shadows every time i change the area now. Fortunatly removing it turned it back to how it was before. Anyone else having experience with that mod?
  16. Online

F U R I E Veteran BOON

I actually have no problem with Skyrim atm, only crashed once and that's it. Better not mess with what's working, right? :p The only "mod" im using are some better face and blood textures.
  17. Online

adagio Moderator

Mines been great. I would almost have this as my game of the year. Just a few little things that a testing session should have picked up would have made it my Fav.
  18. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

QA was proly outsourced for time/money reasons, and outsourced work is always flawed as I can see in my own company every day. Someone who gets payed to do someone elses work is more likely to be a bum about it and miss alot stuff. Has to do with not being passionate about it. As gamers, all of us who waited for this game so long and passionatly, are more likely to notice these things than someone who wants to be done with it asap to go home.
  19. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Honestly I have had no problems with mine on 2 different machines with wildly different specs, although occasionally I end up with a invisible horse on my work machine but not too fussed about that :)
  20. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

Nerien worked out the console command for forcing a bounty pay if you ever get the glitch in markarth where the guards won't take any payment or ignore options, and say they're taking you to jail, but just loop the conversation.

Fix is:

Go to Markarth, move next to one of the guards, open console, click on the guard, type "paycrimegold". This forces the bounty off and does the usual routine of taking your stolen items.

To do it without them taking your stolen items, use "paycrimegoldthief" (untested)