Shogun 2: Total War

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I'm a massive Total War Fan having played pretty much all the Total War games and will probably be pre-ordering Shogun 2. The entire campaign is doable as a co-op this time round, which should allow for some pretty huge battles, and since we are back to a pre-gun period of time, the battles should be a bit more epic like the older Total War games, and not stale like Empire/Napoleon.

Anyways, you can buy it at;

Normal Edition Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/34330/

Normal Edition on D2D: http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/4/10308/product/Buy-Total-War:-SHOGUN-2-Download?hph

Limited Edition Game.co.uk: http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Game...r-Shogun-2-Limited-Edition/~r353412/?s=shogun

Limited Edition Plus Chess Set Game.co.uk: http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Game...n-with-Exclusive-Chess-Set/~r353347/?s=shogun

Collectors Edition Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-War-Shogun-2-Collectors/dp/B004GHMUB0/ref=pd_sim_vg_h__3

Looking at what you get in each product, unless your a game box collector, the best value seems to be in the "Limited Edition" from Game.co.uk as you get all the bonus ingame items, for the standard Steam price. Normal edition seems completely pointless as you get no extra ingame items, but pay the say price as the "Limited Edition" copy. Collectors box sets look really nice, but who in the hell is going to pay £60++ for a game box.

NOTE: One of the "limited Edition" unlocks is the ability to play a Ninja Clan as a faction in the campaign, so might be worth it.

Some screenshots......

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I love the orgional too
  3. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Played the original soooooo much, going to wait until it's on a steam deal to buy though.
    fuck full price, i'll just wait until next christmas and buy it then or something :p
  4. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

Total war series in general is bloody brilliant, Shogun defiantly the best can't beat samurai's and ninjas, loved the naval element in Napoleon though.

Could just 'acquire' it and play it over hammachi shant :p (if its possible ofc)
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I'm temped to pre-order the "Limited Edition" with game.co.uk to get the extra ingame stuff. Dunno, how "limited" it will be though.... I mean if they are still selling it 6months down the line, or the extras become available as cheap DLC, then waiting would be more cost effective.

All I know is that if its half as good as the original, its gona be worth y of some serious playtime.
  6. Offline

Tal The Architect

There was a TV show made from Rome: Total War (I guess it's the same game series) called Time Commanders. The game looked quite good but the TV show itself was just awful.

So for that reason and that reason alone - I'm out.
  7. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Booo Tal!!!

Total War games are probably some of the best RTS games you will play. Nowhere near the skill level and competitiveness of say Starcraft, but they play really well and are really enjoyable.
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Ill probably buy it after a good number of reviews, the AI in their latest game was so shit it totally ruined the fun for me.
  9. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

im good at strategy games like warhammer 40k 2 with the small squads and such but the bigass controlling 100s of units just drives me nuts i cant do stuff that fast
  10. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

Lie aspira; u want this from the 'chest limited edition" :eek:

[IMG]

The multiplayer aspect for this one seems deeper than the usual skirmish only approach. Co-op mp campaign and some sort of ladder should be in etc worth to buy it for the release i'd say.
  11. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

I've always been quite horrible on these games but still enjoy them quite a bit.
    The latest Napoleon one though was quite boring with all the stupid rifles.
    Looking forward to going back to bows, spears and swords.
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

[IMG]

Thats the other CE box you can get. Nice box, but its £59.99, lol.
  13. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

Actually i like the samurai figurine :p

Is the dvd-rom made from bamboo too ? Cuz the chest game is made from bamboo :)
  14. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Fallanx is already going LeiLei over it[IMG]
  15. Offline

Domain Veteran BOON

I gotta say im also a massive fan of rome and medieval2, when i played shogun it just looked to old, and couldnt rly get to like imperial (the campaign map seemed odd). But Rome and medieval were just awesome.

why do i like these total war games so much? (wall of text incoming).

in terms of "game entertainment" its just ... fantastic. getting to rule "a family" or nation, fighting incredibly impossible odds and managing to get heroic victories. when you look at armies with 2000+ units and you have between 600 and 800 units (or 250 against 1000+), you get a bit upset, then when they come at you, it feels like helpless, after killing 1000 you already feel sick and theres just another nice amount already engaged on you, but in the end, when the heroic victory finishes i just spend ages saying: eat **** you **** **** **** **** (/insert all possible insults for each *), so thats ALL you got, hein? [its retarded, but its so fucking awesome] . When your turn just take ages, because you just need to "manage" 3/4 of the map, with more then 30/40 settlements, 3/4/5 battlegrounds, when you insult 2 generations of ppl because you SHOULD have butchered those damn ungratefull settlement citizens when you had the chance but you had to act all chivalrous and kind wit hthat general, when you curse your horses for being to slow on the act, when the **** pope makes you go on a fucking crusade after 10 turns and you have 0 units to spend and your stuff is just like on the other side of the map (portugal-lisbon -> antioch/jerusalem), [i just thought, and started laughing, on getting the most miserable guy on my family, with 4/5 peasant units and deal with it.] When almost all the nations on the map decided they JUST HAD to fight you, so they actually start a queue on "please siege all of my settlements", when you sacrifice exhausted units so others get to rest because they are just to much, when your general dies to a fucking arrow or bolt, when some retards decided it was funny to invade your lands with ... assassins. When you grab in a 16 year old and you decide you are gonna turn him into a 10 star general, the +/- insightfull sentences, the history behind every TW game, etc ...

Then you remember you are just playing a game, and probably spending much more time than you should on it ... but its still a very well spent time.

Certainly gonna play Shogun 2.

/grab Vagabond- Bernard Cornwell and play medieval 2 on my next 2 free hours before going to bed.
  16. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

17. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Holy crap Domain that was an epic wall of text but awesome to read lol
  18. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Shogun 2 CG Intro......

19. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

ok i'm feeble; pre ordered it.
  20. Offline

Domain Veteran BOON

^^

Theres a Demo on steam, gonna try it out.