Satellite Internet

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Law, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Offline

Law Community Member

Okay so just moved house and totally never checked what Internet speed I could get out here in the Country.
    Yes big mistake I know but had way more things to deal with at the time....

At the moment I have 1mb dl speed which is just LOLZ! as I have just come from BT-Infi2 pumping a nice 80+mb dl speed.

They say it will take atleast 2-10weeks to get me up to 6mb dl speed and there is no other option until next year around Jan/Feb for BT-Infi reaching here.

I can however get up to 20mb dl from Satellite Internet, downside is it has a 1second delay for gaming which is massive no no imo but I would get a nicer speed to download.
    Max Satellite download is 20mb no higher and "Up" I don't really care about to much as I wont be streaming for awhile.

My question to the tech-geek-gods is since I have BT shitty broadband can I use that for gamming and is it worth me spending 60ish quid a month for Satellite downloading?

Anyone with any knowledge in this department or should I just prepare for a 7-8months of banging my head of the desk?

Cheers
    Law
  2. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

1 second delay is never gonna work for gaming :p

Do you have no 4G option?
  3. Offline

Law Community Member

Tbh I really don't follow 4G enough to know much about it.
    I have looked and seems I can get it but the checker is pritty shit.

I think I may just use Hardline for Gaming and Satellite for Downloading. Until BT-Infi comes to the area next year.
  4. Offline

Law Community Member

Just checked the BT-Infinity website to check when it comes into place. It now shows Sept 2013 which has been pushed 6months forward from when I last read it.
    So il just deal with shit for 2months....

Cheers for the help.
  5. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

No new mmos for 3 months at least anyways,, so np o/
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I use shitty BT 6mb internet (more like 3.5) and I can have people gaming on a pc, xbox360 and ps3 all at the same time with no lag.

Only time there are problems is when you are downloading. Basically, download at night when your sleeping.
  7. Offline

Law Community Member

Im a freak, I like to download games then uninstall them, then download them again. Once you have Infinity you get spoiled imo.

3.5 would be great but this shit is under 1mb im tempted to bring out my old 56k modem lol!
  8. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

6mb is fine for gaming, just try not to leave things like googledrive, skype, other things that absorb small amounts of bandwidth running at the same time. With a game + teamspeak open you'll be fine.
  9. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

obviously it's slow for regular downloads, but you're fucked there. 20mb sat will probabbly never work out as 20 anyway so stick with the 6mb landline.
  10. Offline

Law Community Member

Yea going to speak to BT to try get a boost from 1mb to atleast 3/4 cause its horrible right now. Since Infi is coming in 2months I wont be getting Satellite anymore. Which saves a huge amount of cash to go into my monster new rig :D