Rumour: Valve planning console - Steam Box

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Currently its complete rumour, but apparently Valve are working on a console dubbed "Steam Box" that will be unveiled at some point this year.

Valve have already filed patents (Pete will be happy with this) for new USB controller devices that feature modules that can be swapped out depending on the game type you are playing. The console itself is said to be powerful enough to run any game available in the steam store and will be fully integrated with the steam store so that all game purchasing for the console is done via steam.

What do you guys make of this rumor and what do you think about the consequences it will have on PC gaming should it be true ?

Personally I think it may be true as Valve are just mad enough to be working on something like this. if it is true though, I see it being very bad for PC as I can see them trying to force people onto their console to get the best Steam deals or game will be exclusive to Steam console etc. etc. I just have a baaaaaaad feeling about it.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console
  2. Offline

adagio Moderator

[IMG]

Hopefully these bad boys will run those chips Saul was talking about the other day that have they're own programs on the chip. No need for MS.

They will have to work with other sellers though so the market doesn't get monopolised but I can already see HL2ep3 being a launch title. calling it now.
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

If having a Valve Console means we get the next installment of Half Life, then I can live with that actually. Been waiting forever for ep3.
  4. Offline

Ceeo Community Member

If it means I gotta buy the console for HL2ep3 it's gonna be shit. shit. shit. shit.
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

This just distances the PC from consoles even further, Steam was sort of the boon of hope for PC gaming for a while. Now they're just smashing in their windows (pun intended).

I doubt this will come off the ground properly though, unless they keep their console on the same line as the PC. I just see the same thing happen with Steam as it did with Blizzard, you don't really want people to upgrade their hardware and just keep your game running smooth on old junk. So just like the 5 year graphic delay the consoles already gave us, Steam is going to further contribute to slowing down technological/graphical advances.

In other words, in my eyes there's no positives unless like Nintendo they at least try to innovate in some way.

Afaik this was going to be their early version of a console, the Alienware X51 and would be upgraded by the time the console got released:
    [IMG]
  6. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

^^ this :(
  7. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

I wish that they take this project ahead, since if there's anyone that can find a viable controller alternative to keyboard + mouse for fps games, it's Valve for sure.

On the other hand, hopefully they will still allow for keyboard+mouse users to plug those in :)
  8. Offline

Angelo Community Member

I've always wondered this, why don't Microsoft and Sony release their own version of mouses and keyboards for Xbox and PlayStation , surely it'd be more money for them?
  9. Offline

Tal The Architect

Easy. Because they'd probably lose money.

Consoles are targeted for people who play on their sofa, with friends etc. If the pc gaming master race were able to compete 'officially' on the consoles whilst sitting at their desks using a KB/mouse, the traditional/casual console gamers would get fed up being constantly destroyed online.
  10. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

This Guy^
    [IMG]