Rift thoughts so far.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Shantotto, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Offline

Shantotto Guest

edited due to update end of thread.
  2. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Nothing so far about the game impressed me, not even the graphics but Ill play a bit more for now. Feels like Warhammer all over again for me though, not paying for it yet.
  3. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Warhammer was actually fun to pvp in ( mourkain, tor anroc, gates of ekrund ).

There is 0 fun in levelling, rifts, pvp or the pve instance that we did.
    Just nothing about this game in any way is fun at all.
  4. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

i hit 30 in lol shant, lets go :p
  5. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Couldn't disagree more, I'll have a comprehensive review up Friday
  6. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

That's the thing if it is WAR all over again, as long as they get things right this time it could be good.

Will play for a while, if only because there is not a great deal out atm that's interesting!
  7. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

I'd also like to see more of the game before making a final decision!
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I didnt like WAR much at all, I just hope the game takes a different turn later on. Even if WAR ended up working properly there was nearly 0 things (bar from maybe Tor Anroc) that I really liked. WAR was very bland and boring, RIFT tbh already is better atmosphere wise than it.

- Animations, really they are pretty bad and a smooth gameplay adds alot to a game in the short and longtherm. Just roll a warrior and use the charge, it looks horrendous. I liked the animations in Aion, in WoW it was pretty bad but they were incredibly smooth.

- Content, dont know about this much and probably wont find out in a beta anyway unless they put the max level to 50. What I've seen so far, a dumbed down Warhammer battleground and a 5 man instance that were slightly uninspiring, will hopefully finish the 5 man instance today.

- PvP, so you gain something similar to honor from players in world pvp and you loose honor when you get killed apparently from people I spoke to. There seem to be ranks so probably works like Aion, higher rank = loose more. Hopefully though being a high rank will give you some advantages aswell.

Also there are battlegrounds which is good, there seems to be 1 each 10 levels after level 10. you basically farm them to get some gear, and the endgame honor gear seems to lack the stat: Resilience (PvP Defence) or PvP Offense. Not sure if that is good or bad, if PvE gear is easier to get with better stats it would be bad.

Rifts: well so far in the low level area they are dynamic, give good rewards and are quite frequent and challenging imo. But I hope that in endgame they still play a vital role, for example you get your gear from them throughout the game and they are placed in contested zones where faction vs. faction for the rifts may occur.
  9. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Yep I played wow on and off 5 years, and warhammer with beta 1.5 years,, this game without a shadow of a fucking doubt is a re-badged Warhammer, gfx, mechanic etc, all I see are:

A nice new talents/class/skills build your own toon system which will be soon cut down to about 4 flavour of the month specs by release

The rifts are just bad and boring Warhammer PQs that spawn randomly to make you walk back and forth across countryside, at least the Warhammer PQs didn't have endless walking and you got to do the whole PQ instead of running in at the last minute for nothing all the time. oh and they were funand had some homour to them and more entertaining that standing in a mass of mobs and flames tab spamming and not giving a shot wtf is going on.

Questing identical to Warhammer, wow anything really and very boring quests at that too I have yet to OMG,, well at anything.

PvP - will try some today lvl 15 now.

Basicly I never heard of Rift until a month ago and I see why, its just taking parts of every mmo over the past 5 yearsand stuck them into a re-skinned warhammer, 5 years ago it would have been a good mmo for all the right reasons, when you compare it to what we saw in GW2 you go WTF who is investing in this crap? It won't have a 6 month life span.

That said,,, BAD games can still be FUN,, omfg what did KC just say? You can still kill players, you can still group up and go do stuff and run riot, Warhammer played just like this and I still had some of my best time ever in it, there is also the other biggest factor the game has going for it,, bored mmo players with nothing else to go play.

I will try the pvp today and see how I feel later after I try find out what end game pvp could be like? fighting the opposite faction in the open world over a new rift and potential loot = awesome potential for great pvp you want it come get it? and fight for it... that could turn a bad game into some awesome fun.
  10. Offline

WAR in beta was pretty dam good, but we were all promised the world by the devs and instead received Scotland, you can imagine the disappointment.

It lacked content, zones, pvp mechanics (repairing doors for instance wasn't put in for a while) it had no depth to classes, best gear was from pve...etc etc

tbh if there is already mixed reviews, and not many positive ones just comparing to games we have already played/done, then why even bother with it. I'm all for playing a game to get to end game to see the 'real' content, but it still has to hook you, and if KCs review is anything to go from, then bye bye to another failed MMO.
  11. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I agree but I still had fun after release for 6 months. As I said games can be bad in so many ways, but you can still have fun on them, game mechanics and gfx are reference points for is this a good game,but does a well made game = fun?

In Aion the most fun we had was, Taking forts, taking Divine, building the allaince and crushing the Asmos, locking down the boss kills, fucking about on vent and forums etc none of which involved good game mechanics, graphics, lore or whatever but teamwork, playing with mates, completing goals.

If I wanted to play Rift to be a next generation mmo what was going to wow me I would have logged out before killign the first mob on the first quest because by then I knew exactly what we have here and if we do make a BOON for Rift it will be a filler until a wow factor mmo does come along,, which could be a while yet :(
  12. Offline

Shantotto Guest

The first instance is a laughable abortion that free to play games wouldn't consider putting in and would tell Garry ( the work experience lad that made it ) that it's not that good and he should try again.
  13. Offline

Fair point KC, but WAR and Aion were both new games, WAR had the following of the people interested in Warhammer, those that had come from DAoC also, Aion had the promise of mass PvP siege warfare and doing so while flying also. All everybody has said is that Rift is just those games + more repackaged, you quit both of them due to lack of content/poor devs etc, so why bother wasting money/time on it.
  14. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Simple 30 quid for a few months owning a whole new set of scrubs RAWR! The biggest shocker the game has was the fact it had 42 servers up in the beta,, and the server are pretty damn full at the rifts / PQ there can be well over 100 players in seconds and there can be laods of rifst up at a time,, thats was the biggest OMG when playing it was teh fact so many ppl were playing it!
  15. Offline

Shantotto Guest

All the people who did Cataclysm already katie :p
  16. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

and DC Universe!
  17. Offline

and Aion and WAR and Tabula and AoC and DF and etc and etc...
  18. Offline

Vissarion Veteran BOON

I haven't played this game yet, but i can see it turning into a f2p very soon after release.
    Meanwhile there are better f2p games than rift anyway...
    waiting for beta invitation.
  19. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

You didn't get a key ? We have spares if you need one still.

Also, f2p is better than subs any day. I doubt any new MMO's coming out after this year will use subscription plans. GDC in 2008(think it was 08, maybe 09?) had all the biggest MMO developers (and Paul "the bellend" Barnett) in the same room talking about subscriptions, and they all said that by 2012, all new MMOs will be f2p with micro-transactions. Lets see if they follow that through, I for one hope so.
  20. Offline

Shantotto Guest