Removing Culling Completely

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Fizzee, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

From the official forums.

Interesting read.

2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

WarZ is getting a lot of shit at the moment for advertising that it supports 100 man servers, yet it doesn't. I have never understood how MMOs (not just GW2, they are pretty much ALL guilty) can advertise, "huge PvP battles" or in some cases actually put numbers on it like "hundreds vs. hundreds" when in fact, it is not the case. They never seem to get shit for false claims.

I also have never understood how the current mechanic GW2 uses of making people invisible even made it into release. If their servers cannot cope (which they obviously can't and they must have known this) why not use a system similar to Aion, where texture quality is heavily reduced but players are still kept visible. That too is a non ideal system, but it is better than making people invisible.

It's good to see ArenaNet are making progress on this, but I personally feel that this issue should have been fixed long ago as it was reported early in WvWvW testing but seemed to get ignored.

Again, not a dig at GW2 here, pretty much every MMO does this. I have just always wondered why any MMO developer these days seems to promise "huge pvp battles", then when they can't because their game lagg, they can use the excuse "bandwidth issues" and people are okay with that. I mean, surely they have someone working at their company who is smart enough to work out what resources are needed to provide the "huge pvp battles" they want to give.

Just never understood why there isn't more hate from the general MMO gaming community on this issue. It seems that this problem is almost accepted by the gaming community as a problem that is okay for an MMO to have when we really should not be tolerating it.
  3. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Time basically, WvW was last on the list in many ways, like most mmos the game is at its best 6 months to a year after release, they just have to release as end of day money counts have to pay the bills
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea I understand its all about the money, I am not that naive :p

However, surely having a game that can actually provide large scale PvP straight out the box with no silly addon like culling would be a worthwhile investment, be it additional dev time or better spec hardware. I mean, having an MMO that could flawlessly run large scale PvP would probably be a world first, people would play that game just to experience a game that actually delivers what was claimed.

This is not a dig at GW2 btw, just general pattern I have seen in MMOs over the years.
  5. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

hehe first mmo I ever played was Linegae 2 - Max level 75, no item skins past lvl 40, not pve zones above lvl 65 finished, just flat with no features or anything and either no mobs or just random mobs spread out all over the place randomly to farm.

After this everything is an improvement!
  6. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Good news!
  7. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

The problem is Anet just 'fixed' the problem by making ppl invisible when in Aion you could play on max settings even while you were fighting 400 other ppl if your PC could handle it.
  8. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Like they said, they dont want to make people with weaker computers not being able to WvW, unlike in Aion or other similar games.
  9. Offline

Jinx Community Member

my thoughts exactly. Tho,those with old PCs gonna struggle big time. But that's why there were open betas and Anet,or any other company, should've tested how their game reacts to massive battles.

Nonetheless, its getting worked on which is good news. Hopefully with positive results.
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

People with weak PC's should upgrade or accept the fact they will not be able to get 100% from a game.

Harsh I know, but your all thinking it.
  11. Offline

Drexciyian Veteran BOON

I thought WarZ was getting alot of shit cos it is shit and a rip off :p
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

There are many reasons its getting shit, but yea, cuz its shit is probably the biggest one :p
  13. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

If that was the case, they couldnt compeate with WoW in the matter of hardware.
  14. Offline

Vissarion Veteran BOON

I have a low pc, and i could play sieges in aion with 20fps+fraps without lagging. I just had to remove other players and seeing only their names, why can't they add something like this?? ;(
  15. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

^This

I prefer to fight names than invis enemies;<
  16. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Technical limitations probably.
  17. Offline

Tumbleweed Community Member

Perhaps cause they didn't foresee the issue and their coding doesn't treat nameplates and all the other info (position, movement, boons, conditions, effects) as separate things. That's probably why they have to do a major rework of the code to make it send the basics (location, name, skin) separately.
    Ye a lot of people are yappin on about the skins being the problem but they're not, those only need to be sent once, it's all the other stuff that needs to be sent back and forth constantly.
  18. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Well with Aion it was more than that. People with decent to good PCs with the "wrong" graphics cards were getting low FPS and outright crashes in large multiplayer. I was enjoying Aion but left it because my reasonably good PC couldn't handle Aion but could play every other game at pretty much full settings.
  19. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Same, I had the "wrong" card and so in large battles such as you got often, I would crash after 30-45 seconds. I quit after 2 weeks of this and no fix.
  20. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Same with me on Age of Conan, the only trick we could do on the sieges were, lower down graphic settings to a minimum so the lag would be a bit better.
    Didn't work all the times though.