Reli's Boredom Week Part 1: Dark Athena

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Relinquished, May 9, 2012.

1. Offline

Relinquished Veteran BOON

So things in MMOs have been a bit stale to me and as the summer approaches i would hate to have to find myself outside, at a beach, under the sun drinking cocktails and whatnot.
    Hence I came up with the idea to revisit single player games I've played and enjoyed in the past and create a small presentation for each as I go through and finish them.

First of, from Starbreeze Studios and our beloved Atari I give you 2009's

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

What a gem ladies and gentlemen! Where do I begin with this? Let's start at the beggining.
    This game is a sequel to Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, which I have also played in the past and very much loved as well. And by sequel, I mean SEQUEL!!! Dark Athena picks up exactly were B.B. left off. And just so people know what has happened up till now, Dark Athena comes packed with the initial game as well!
    How's that for a Christmas present.

I wont spoil the plot, cause even though this is a FPS it does have one. A good one. I do though have to say a few things for those unfamiliar with the Riddick franchise.
    Somewhen, in the distant perhaps future, man has conquered the dream of interstellar travel. Opportunities raised for potential prospectors, colonists and of course criminals! With the latest came the need for two areas of expertise to pick up the pace and catch up on the needs of the galaxy.
    Bounty hunters, and Prisons!
    Riddick, being the friendly chap that he is chose to work neither as a mercenary nor a guard leaving him with just one option: Fugitive criminal. In space!!! And that's where the fun begins.

Dark Athena is a FPS game which manages to combine fast paced shooting action, with stealth elements and a bit of adventuring. It comes with a nice melee combat system straight from the first installment, a wide array of weapons ranging from stun guns to compressed air explosive pellet riffles and even allows for direct control of armored mech suits or cybernetic-enhanced-humans-turned-to-remote-controlled-drones. I know, its a mouthful.
    Oh, you might need to jump up and down a few crates as well.
    This is NOT your classic spray and pray game. Riddick is not a heavy armored one man riot squad. Charging head first in a room full of guards will earn you a ticket to the loading screen! One must be methodical, precise and observant in order to survive each part of this game.
    If you choose to play this game, know this: You will die. A lot. On Easy Mode.
    Each area is a challenge, the AI is more than competent, your opponents are neither easy targets nor always apparent. This game loves to ambush the player any chance it gets! And so should you.

Using the characteristic Eyeshine(tm) RIddick is able to see in the dark. Yes ladies and gentlemen, RIddick can crawl in dark spaces, be one with the shadows and backstab any unfortunate soldier/guard/drone using any sharp pointy object in his possession at the time. The execution moves are simply brutal and never get boring!

Technically speaking, Dark Athena boasts a very beautiful graphics engine, even by today's standards, an impressive shadow/light system that reflects on everything in the game world and nice animations to match.
    The voice acting is definitely above average with Vin Diesel as Riddick and the rest of the actors doing a damn good job at giving life to the story behind the game.
    I was not totally satisfied by the sound effects though to be honest. Even though not bad, they did seem to get repetitive after a point, and some times even out of place.
    Small note here: Riddick loves to philosophize over the mutilated, blood covered and deformed corpses of his enemies. What a poet...

In conclusion, Dark Athena leaves one with the impression that it was created by gamers, does not let the player get bored with repetition and denies anything that would brand it as "another FPS". No mini-map, no objective markers, no life regeneration, no unlimited amounts of ammo and above all, no save function (works with checkpoints). It does not frustrate to the point of making one thinking of cheating, yet it is not easy.
    Very rewarding game for its ~6hours of gameplay (on normal mode) which seams to be its only real drawback.
    I couldn't get enough of it.

I hoped you enjoyed the read and have fun playing if you so choose to.

2. Offline

adagio Moderator

You going to play lesser heard games or just personal facs?
  3. Offline

I was thinking about playing games I have already played once, so i have a better view of them and judge them in retrospec.
    Preferably games ppl might have heard of but haven't played probablly.
    Taking suggestions though.
    Was thinking about Silent Hill 4 for next week.
  4. Offline

adagio Moderator

Don't think I could ever play games like resident evil and silent hill more than once. Those games to me are classic one time only games and once the story is over the game is over. Besides, I feel they ruined res evil by churning out crappy sequels after 1 & 2. It should have been one of those that had 2-3 stories max and then put on ice. Now its just a diluted franchise that lost its way.

Anyway I would love you to go back to old games like black & white, which were hyped but never delivered. Think daikatana was another. Just to see where they went wrong.
  5. Offline

I've played B&W and didnt realy like it. I wouldnt have anything good to say about it.
    Daikatana... hmmm I'll keep it in mind.
    I've played SH4 so far back i dont realy remember much. Thats why i am reconsidering it.