Read this ;) Its hillarious how true it is..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juggernaught, May 21, 2012.

1. Offline

Juggernaught Community Member

2. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Not read the whole thing but what I did read was full of factual inaccuracies such as how genes have no issue in it and some bullshit about 3rd world countries.

Basically its just a loud mouthed bigot who's decided their target for today will be the overweight because women and homosexuals aren't the "in" target these days.

Live and let live people.
  3. Offline

Actually if you did read it, your would know that its actually correct.

The very few where genes actually play a part is a very small number of people, 99.9% of all the world dont have genetical dissorders which affect metabolic rate.

Learn the facts yourself mate.

The only people who defend Obesity are either obese themselves or lazy, thats it.

Obesity is the number one killer in modern society and its all due to people being stupid and lazy, thats all.
  4. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

you do realise you're posting this on a gaming forum and not a fitness website?

You're more likely to find a larger percentage of unfit lazy sods here (me more than most!), than wherever else that could've been posted :p
  5. Offline

Well im a pro bodybuilder so at least I brake the mold ;)

And ofc I know where im posting ;) We post alot of crap thats no where near related to gaming in the forums so why should this be different ;)

Just thought it was a good read and since its true its also educational ;)
  6. Offline

adagio Moderator

The problem is, is that article looks at one side of the arguement. It's easy for someone to say they are fat due to genetics as much as it is for you to say laziness. I'm quite happy to say I'm at 6ft 3 and weigh about 14.5 stones. Am I as fit as I could be? Hell no.

Say the arguement was to be turned around. That your weightlifting is an addiction in your mind. That the pressure you put on your body to pump blood around your body is affecting your heart. The bursting of blood vessels to make stronger muscle tissue. The untold affect of joint wear and tear due to lifting weights that should be beyond a normal hunter/gatherer. The effect of producing extra chemicals whether it be natural or manufactured on the body and brain.

Doesn't sound as healthy as a salad and a jog, does it? Perception is a evil thing when your young.
  7. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

We're all fucking people. Fat people love, think, smile and cry just like you. And even then, demonizing someone for their behaviour has a far lower success rate than being empathic and helpful.

[IMG]
  8. Offline

Extremes are always harmful in some way.

I know the risks of being a pro bodybuilder and I do know that being as extreme as I am, is no way near healthy in the long run ;)

Just like you wrote, the pressure I put on my body isnt healty. But im not saying everyone needs to be a fitness pro. I just want ppl to actually eat healthy food and exercise to extend their life, not end it faster.

And to maskerad, ofc fat ppl love, smile and think etc just as me, but they are lazy. And laziness isnt a good thing, in any aspect of life. And being empathic and helpful doesnt get fat ppl of the couch, just look at the most successful weight loss program of all times, biggest looser. They push and push and push them until they realize that they can...
    You cant love someone into loosing fat. you have to push they beyond their breaking point. So they realize that they can achieve more then they think.
  9. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

I don't have any personal issues with people being fat, sitting on their asses playing computer games etc.

I do have an issue with the social acceptance of it when other people's lifestyles start affecting me:

E.g:
    - Sitting on a plane next to someone who is literally overflowing over the armrest
    - Paying more for healthcare because I am subsidising overweight, unhealthy people
    - Paying more in taxes because we are subsidising overweight, unhealthly people
    - (I'll be honest here, although it's not PC) Looking at obese people on the beach

You can bitch at me for the last one on the list and it is arguably my problem.... so let's park that one aside.

The two biggest causes of hospital load in any of our health systems are:
    1) Obesity
    2) Smoking

These have a lot in common with each other.... both addictive behaviors. However, look at smoking: (in Ireland at least... might vary in your country)

1) Heavily taxed to (indirectly) subsidise the health service
    2) Age limited to prevent children from having personal access to them
    3) Health warnings on every package

Fatty foods have none of these.

Personally, I would tax the *sh1t* out of fatty foods and subsidise healthy foods (through reduced taxes on fresh fruit/veg etc.) and force more stringent labeling of products.

The long term benefits to a country (and the affect people) would be massive.

Gurth

(PS: I'm reasonably healthy for a mid 30s male and I eat plenty of junk)
  10. Offline

adagio Moderator

I think the point mask was trying to make is that one eating disorder like anorexia gets treated with kids gloves, patience and understanding.

Whereas another eating disorder like obesity is treated like open season with hostility and bile.
  11. Offline

Obesity isnt an eating disorder though...
  12. Offline

Thats actually a very good solution Gurth.. I would support that for sure...

Sadly unhealthy foods are just cheaper to produce...
  13. Offline

adagio Moderator

I would say it is. It's ignoring that your body has enough in its stomach and your kind says carry on.

Here's a solution. Why don't you have a small door in a supermarket to the unhealthy section. That way obese people can't get to the good stuff. Once they lose weight they can.
  14. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

hmm
  15. Offline

adagio Moderator

I can't watch the video as I'm on my phone but was it jimmy Carr that did that sketch?
  16. Offline

Feidan Community Member

Genetically I should be quite fat which I was when I was smaller. Then I stopped eating because I became too lazy when playing wow. It stayed like that up till now. ';..;'
  17. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

It is, its basically a mental disorder I am 5 foot 8 and 12 stone and my brother is 5 foot 7 and 20+, he does more activities, excercise and works longer hours than me, but he eats / drinks as a coping mechanism with life, stress etc its like a drunk that give them a pick me up and makes them feel good which ironicly the fact they are over weigh encourages them too even more!

I work opposite him daily and watch his never ending battle against it, if it was just a simple do more excercise and eat less and better he'd have np, but the battle is inside their heads and their lifestyles and saying get a grip just doesn't work.
  18. Offline

adagio Moderator

There's no genetic fat gene. Just your complex brain going haywire and believing you should be fat. Taxing food won't make any difference to the way people eat unless you change peoples perception of food.

My brain in some screwed up way prefers tea to alcohol. That's why I haven't had alcohol in about 15 years. It's not that I don't like alcohol, its just I don't crave it like others. I'm sure I could train my brain to overcome this but then again why would I want to dull my senses with alcohol. I should imagine its the same with healthy and unhealthy food.
  19. Offline

Thats sad to hear Katie, but he needs therapy then.. Since from what you are describing its nothing he doesnt seem to handle it on his own.
  20. Offline

Feidan Community Member

There is also a difference between obesity and having big bones and looking big. Helps when people don't use it as an excuse.