Questions for XL Games (Jake Song)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Acina, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Hey Folks,

So we have be diligently building a relationship with XL Games, to this end we have the opportunity to ask them (Jake Song and/or other departments) about their upcoming release ArcheAge.

So we're opening up the floodgates to you the dirty masses, come up with questions that you want us to ask XL Games about ArcheAge, be the about the lore, combat, PvP, Pirates, Graphics, Writing a Book, god the list goes on :p

Reply with the questions you want answered and will send them off to get answered :)

A couple of Q&A sessions that have already been done (so we don't look like noobs for asking again):

A few Questions for Jake Song (CEO XL Games): http://www.aaportal.net/en/news/38-archeage-news/166-few-questions-to-jake-song.html

Interview with Kim Kyung-Tae (Chief Designer): http://www.aaportal.net/en/news/38-archeage-news/171-interview-xlgames-chief-designer.html

Animation Director Q&A: http://www.aaportal.net/en/news/38-archeage-news/168-animation-director-qa-vid.html

A Little about Jake Song (for those that may not know):

"Jake Song, Korean Name Song Jae-kyeong (송재경,宋在京), b. 1965[citation needed], is a South Korean programmer who is regarded as one of the greatest game developers in Korea. He played the major role in creating the MMORPG called Lineage, an online game with huge following in Korea. He graduated from KAIST and created a number of online games before joining NCSoft, where he and other developers created Lineage.

He left NCSoft in March 2003 and formed his own company, XL Games, where an online racing game called XL Racing was being developed but has now been dropped. The company is now working on a NextGen MMO called Arche Age, being developed on Crytek's CryEngine2. The story is being written by Jun Min Hee."
  2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Q. There appears to be no information released saying if instanced PvP such as battlegrounds will or will not be included in ArcheAge. Given that ArcheAge is the perfect game to promote world PvP, will instanced PvP be included in Archeage ? If it is to be included, how do XLGames plan to prevent the instanced PvP from killing off world PvP, as is the trend in most MMO's that offer both types ?
  3. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Q. How is the PvP currency handled (marks of valor etc)?

Q. How does gear progression work, aka how long would it take to get the best gear?

Q. Will there be a big difference between types of gear, PvE gear, PvP gear (resilience or critical strike % reduction come to mind), Gathering or will skillups and abilities replace the gear progression?

Q. A followup question to that is, if it is quite possible to reach the highest end gear will there be patches/expansions which will require you to replace that well-earned gear?

Q. Will there be safe havens and spots where you simply cannot hurt another player? And will those places contain accommodations to keep them in that safe spot possibly reducing the fearfactor of PvP?

Q. If there are safe spots, will they contain NPC's that are unkillable or are killable but with high respawn rates?
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Q. Will the armor in ArcheAge contain stats or will it be purely cosmetic and instead have stats applied via a different mechanic (ie. Blade & Soul) ? If the armor contains stats, will you be able to remodel the armor so as to allow your character to look the way you want it to look, rather than everyone looking the same in Teir "x" armor ?

EDIT: Has this already been answered ? I may have read about remodelling being added to a game but really can't remember if it was AA or TERA. Anyone able to advise ?
  5. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Before I send the questions off I'll check through to see if they've been asked and answered, and will adjust the formatting as well!

Sent using my Fruit!
  6. Offline

Fokkie Veteran BOON

Not sure if this has been asked or clarified before

Q. Will guilds be able to build castles/forts and will other guilds be able to siege these and destroy/take over the castle/fort?

Q. How are lords selected? Is it through a political system ala TERA?

Q. What kind of powers does the lord have?
  7. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

More questions that came up in my mind but please don't prioritize them above the PvP oriented questions:

Q. Will physics also influence the way elements work, think water puts out fire or if you add water to earth you get mud (spells aka that Magicka game) and if you shoot through fire your arrow/bullet gets lit aswell?

Q. One thing that always annoys me in games is that when you see a house the door cannot be opened, the local NPC is either a useless vendor selling white (pointless) items or objects you would think they would be able to interact with do nothing. Will there be an emphasis of making the world feel alive and able to be interacted with? Or even better, is it up to the players to make it work like that?

Q. Will there be specifically scripted NPC's or are they going to have an advanced AI able to react to the player's use of abilities?

Most important question: QQQQQ. Will breast-size be adjustable?
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Q. Is there banking in ArcheAge be global like in most MMO's or will it be localised like the system used in EVE where items put into the bank in Castle A cannot be retrieved in Castle B unless you transfer them manually ?

Q. Will there be any siege engines in ArcheAge such as catapults/trebuchets/cannons ? If so, will these siege engines be capable of destroying any section of a player owned castles walls, or will the be limited to only attacking set entry points such as a gatehouse (Warhammer Online, Aion) ?

Q. There was a statement made that the gameworld will not contain enough constructible land to allow every player/guild to build their own house/guild castle. Is this going to be a permanent feature and if so, was it a decision to help promote world PvP ? If the final release will have enough land to accommodate everyone, has there been any thought on having a reduced amont of constructible land on PvP servers to promote PvP ?

Q. Is there any scope for players/guilds to play ArcheAge as a mercenary/pirate faction/guild similar to the game Darkfall where players/guilds could take control of a map area and sell out the resources of that area to others ?
  9. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Q. Is there a moe race/faction?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!??!?!?!? <--- Most important question.
  10. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Pretty certain this has been asked and answered already, the fact that there will only be enough land for 50% of the servers population to build on is to promote PvP!
  11. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

So a quick shout post, I want to get a decent mix of questions form everybody, so I'm going to tag a few people :p

@Merketh
    @Shantotto
    @Tvar
    @Katiechops
    @Allstar
    @Maskerad
    @Fizzee
    @Fallanx
    @Saul
    @Lana
    @Tal

If I haven't tagged you, I'm sorry, too many people to tag (and yes it means I probably don't love you!!!), feel free to post away, needs more questions - as I'm probably sending them off tonight or first thing tmw morning!!!

GOGO!!
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Q. Is there any instanced PvE zone entrances on the player faction continent, and if so, is it possible for guilds to "capture" instances and sell access to other player/guilds or indeed earn a percentage of the gold dropped each time the instance is ran as a reward for "owning" the instance ?

Q. Is there a guild bank and is there an option to take a percentage of gold from each guild members loot as guild taxes (Warhammer Online style) ?

Q. Will there be some sort of system in place to prevent "midnight raiding" of player owned structures where a guild could arrange to all log in at an off peak time such as the early hours of the morning and capture player owned structured with little or no defense ? If such a system is in place, how do you plan to prevent the sieges becoming too regimented like was seen in Aion ?

Q. When starting a siege against an enemy guilds city/castle, do the attackers have to put some investment into the siege such as buying an expensive item or something similar to prevent a guild from continually spam sieging a target and wearing its defenses down over time without giving time to repair ?
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Btw, looking for like 30+ questions on as many different relevant topics as you can think of.

They will most likely not answer questions that relate to information they are saving up to release at upcoming games conventions, nor will they answer anything that is too technical or they haven't fully worked out yet. So rather than sending 10 questions and getting 1 answer back, put down as many questions as you can think of and we should get a nice bunch of questions returned.
  14. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Very true, we'll be sending over roughly 30 questions with the hope of getting at least 10 back with full answers :)

Sent using my Fruit!
  15. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Q: Asian MMOs frequently feature Named Monsters that offer unique items for players to obtain and compete over, some games only implement it to offer some points of interest while levelling and some feature it throughout and it has a prominent place at endgame, will Archeage feature this type of gameplay and if so where on the scale will it be?

Q: Will there a Level Synchronisation style system where a player with significant progression can party and play with a new player without hindering their progress?

Q: Given that there are ships, will there be specific content only available if you or your guild owns a ship to transport people there?
  16. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Fokkie stole my questions :(

Also, any chance Maskerad can be given permission to access guild boards? I think she'll contribute better than I will
  17. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Who cares, catgirls man :p
  18. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Oops thought she had it already, I'll get my slave on it right away :p

Sent using my Fruit!
  19. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

My special slave has fixed this, Maskerad should now have access to this forum :)

Sent using my Fruit!
  20. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Q. WIll there be a player number limit on guilds?

Q. Will there be Guild Vs Guild wars?

Q. Can you level your Guild

Q. Describe the mass PvP?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.