Powertech PvP

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Astarael, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

So we've all been playing around with this alot now, so lets get some opinions down!

I've played shield-tech pretty extensively now, and advanced prototype for a day or so, so I got a good idea of what that's about.

Shield Tech:

Pro's
    Guard - Insane for medals(and therefore commendation), and makes you and a healer able to take on like 3-4 people at the same time easy. Combine this with the taunts and it's just funny how easy it is to beat much higher numbers
    Jet Charge - who doesn't want a bounty hunter leap? great for getting in and out of combat, great for jumping past flames in huttball with the ball, great for interrupting enemy with the ball in the middle of flames.
    Rocket Punch - Properly talented, your rocket punch adds a 50% slow, does massive damage, and is off cooldown every 4.5 seconds easily. it's just insane.

Cons
    Damage - I can consistently come top 5 damage dealers, so it's pretty damned high considering it's a tank. however, against a good dps like sniper, it's insane hard to hit top, and not so bursty. can't have everything eh?

Speed - Kinda slow after jump is used, compared to lots of classes that have speed boosts

Advanced Prototype

Pro's
    BURSSTT: pretty insane burst, I was taking people 100% to 0 in less than 10 seconds. immolate is awesome.
    Heat: not really an issue due to some nice talents
    Movement speed: base 15% increase, plus a 30s CD ability with 30% increase and immunity to knockback and other slowing effects

Cons
    Squishy
    No Guard

Personally, I'm a fan of shield tech, and I think im gonna stick with that. I like being able to guard, and I really feel lost without jet charge.

What's everyone else playing powertech thinking? Excuse the partial gibberish, I'm tired.
  2. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

Nice thread.

I on the other hand are one of the rare breed powertech pyrotechs! We do exist and when you face us you notice is pretty damn quick!

I for one as a dps whore, you can thank war for that with it's crappy leaderboard and me being a brightwizard... If you like being in pretty lights and top 3 dps the pyrotch is for you!

Pros: we are ranged, we are melee, we have flame throwers!
    Heavy on dps and less squishy than a merc due to talents and shield absorbs.
    Energy efficient, lots of reduce energy procs.
    Rail shot is your friend, and we all know how awesome it sounds!
    Dots, if you don't like dots its sad face :( however dots proc railshot!! :))))))
    Grapple, dps and grapple =win!
    Decent cc, e.g you have an insta slow of 50% movement speed at melee range which has no cool down and has a 15% to proc on ranged attacks also.

Cons: cannot tank without ion gas
    Is not melee nor ranged, imagine someone starting at 30m and running towards you, that's the perfect situation every fight.
    We rely heavily on procs, lots of micro management needed.

You will never be a true tank, you will always be a tanky dps hybrid that is ranged and melee. If you want your name in pretty lights at the end of wz's and you don't mind watching your bar for procs, and you love the sound of rail shot, this class is for you!

Mercs will do more damage than you, granted, but you're not stationary turret and cannot be interrupted as most of your skills are insta. Plus, who doesn't like seeing rail shot proc for 3k, and then cast it again for another 3k!!!! <3
  3. Offline

awesome, was hoping someone was playing pyrotech. Fel messaged me the other day saying someone was doing insane with it.
  4. Offline

Jasra Community Member

i'm not 50 yet, but still thinking about something like this
    http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRMMZrsMrobfkds.1
    basicaly, i don't like HEG cylinder, so i use IG cylinder. i have most dps from prototype plus some survivability from shield tech and this give me chance use guard. against this i'm a lil bit slow, but grapple have pretty low cd and hydraulic overrides is mostly enough
  5. Offline

I dunno, seems like you lose on alot by going prototype using ion gas cylinder. perma 15% movement is pretty huge, plus the heat reduction is insane. and without high energy gas cylinder you lose pretty much all ability to burst. immolate isn't a huge huge increase over heat blast, making retractable blade the only real increase to DPS.

can get the grapple cooldown on shieldtech, plus hugely more survivable with the shield talents.
  6. Offline

Jasra Community Member

well, need to try everything after 50, but this fit me most atm. i don't think i lose that much w/o HEGC. 15% speed is nice, but i can catch everyone with Overrides and grapple + stun dart combo. also auto heat vent on Protoype cylinder ventilation is imho more PvE ability. only 8% damage is painful, but more survivability and guard to protect my healer is nice
  7. Offline

Felby Community Member

yes I played some warzones with a guy I met (Feta) , hes around lvl 36 playing advanced prototype, he has crazy control with charge and pull and he did crazy dmg
    not as bursty but it was constant, it'll be crazy at 40 when he gets immolate
  8. Offline

he doesn't have charge as advanced prototype, which loses alot of control. I've played against this guy and he heavily focused on just fighting in the mid of huttball, and got a massive massive dps amount. he was almost double the second highest at 350k. He never looked at the ball though, and lost the match heavily.
  9. Offline

Felby Community Member

noticed :D
  10. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

id like to say that troopers > u hah!
  11. Offline

Saul Community Member

12. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Is he lvl 20?

Pass :-P