Playing RIFT from Steam on another drive

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Alaisy, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

So basically there is no way to have certain games on another drive when using steam, so I had to use a Symbolic Link to get my RIFT copy to work off my SSD while my other steam games are still on my HD.

In Win 7 64 bit, I use Link Shell Extension http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...kshellext.html to create Symbolic Links.

Once you've installed it just do this.

Step 1: I copy the contents of the folder on my HD "f:\steam\steamapps\common\rift\" to a newly created folder on my SSD "c:\rift\"

Step 2: Select the newly created folder c:\rift in Windows Explorer. Right click. Select "Pick Link Source".

Step 3: Navigate to your Steam Apps base folder- for me its f:\steam\steamapps\common\ - and Right click the empty space. Then select Drop As --> Symbolic Link.

Thats it, when you click on the folder it will show all the files but they'll be on the other drive. Silly to need a workaround like this but atleast it removes most of the stutters I had in RIFT. Just make sure you bave the same folder name in the steamapps\common folder so it recognizes the actual game.