Paying for expensive gaming memory.

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Shantotto, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Offline

Shantotto Guest

2. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

clearly, from those bechmarks, one can see that the memory speed is NOT the system bottleneck on those games.
  3. Offline

Tal The Architect

Hasn't this been obvious for years?

The only reason you buy decent memory is to overclock anyway. If you aren't going to overclock just buy the best value.
  4. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Please, the .40 fps difference is what makes kings.
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

The only reason I saw for getting memory that could handle higher speeds was overclocking my i7 920. With 1333mhz you only get to around 3.2Ghz, with 1600mhz you have a few more options with the multiplier and can get to 4.0ghz with a good D0 stepping.

But yeah for games, and if you're not overclocking who cares. i7's also like low-voltage memory below 1.65v
  6. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

well, i have 1333mhz with i7 2600k processor.
    and i can go to 4.5ghz from 3.4ghz without any problem.
  7. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

whats over clocking? is that like when u put a car on blocks and leave it in reverse for a week?
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

9. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Sort of :p
  10. Offline

Mizou Community Member

my cpu and ram where amazing 3 years ago, now ofc its an old old old old pc

the cpu is actually something like 1333mhz with 3.2ghz but since its intel (solid intel work !) u can buy a motherboard with 1600fsb, ofc i needed 1600fsb ram too then which was like 5 euro more expensive then 1333 (corsair) but my cpu is now running on 3.8ghz :) without any special coolings !

but yeah about ram one thing i wanted to mention, if u dont fraps i feel like 4gb are enouph total. as soon as u start frapsing or any sort of game + movie u want these 8gb

i never bought ram to have a faster game. i wanted to have enouph so stuff doesnt get written on the hd.

M was here
  11. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Seems like the Llano likes high quality memory because it has the in-built GPU and uses RAM as its memory. With a dedicated GPU the difference isn't that big either. So yeah it really does seem like there's no reason to go above 1600mhz, or 1333 if you are not overclocking or have an unlocked multiplier.

With that in mind I'd just only worry about the RAM voltage, under 1.65v is generally more compatible.