Nvidia Geforce GT 555m

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Firoz, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

I want to buy a new gaming laptop, but since i've spend all my money on my uber desktop, i can't really buy a super laptop. I was thinking about the Dell XPS 17.
    It has the GT 555m, but i don't know if it can run games decently.
    Will it be a good GPU for the next 3 years? For games like GW2, archeage,...

Laptops with the GTX versions are so exspensive atm. :p
    Sadly there is no way to 100% build a laptop on your own.

The laptop specs I will choose:
  2. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

It would be quite decent for the resolution the monitor of it is capable of. Between medium and high settings, don't expect to run on max settings though. Added benefit is that it doesn't draw as much power as most of the alternatives.

You could compare it to a low-mid end desktop version, like the GTX 540.

Not sure how accurate this is, but at least it shows the different versions of it between laptops.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-555M.41933.0.html

The dell version seems the most powerful 555M out of the bunch too. 192bit, though no GDDR5. (tbh the bit bus is probably more significant)
  3. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Atm my laptop has:
    - CPU: Intel core2 Duo T7250 @2.00 GHZ
    - RAM: 3.00 GB
    - GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT - 256 MB

Is it a good idea to spend +-900€ on that laptop? or should I just use mine a little bit longer till gtx GPU's are more common?
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

It's a massive upgrade, but whether it justifies €900,- I don't think so. It is one of the better around that price-range though. Depends on how much you need it, and whether you would be willing to spend more if you can wait a bit longer.

For current games it will be sufficient, and a ton better than what you have now. If that meets all the criteria then go for it, if you want more you should either wait or spend more. However, spending more isn't much of an option either as more powerful GPU's tend to eat a lot more power and you'd loose portability. And tbh the 555M is already quite powerhungry, perhaps finding something along the mid-end AMD camp would be more easy on the battery.
  5. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

It's for gaming in the weekend only anyway. I am used to siege with this laptop in aion.
    I think i will wait a few more months and wait for the price drop for high-end laptops.
  6. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

The price-drops will be around the very end of 2011 or 2012 I'm expecting, but correct me if I'm wrong. AMD's Bulldozer CPU's, new high-end intel CPU's and new AMD 7xxx series. Notebook equivalents will follow a few months after that usually, so you may have to wait a while.
  7. Offline

Angelo Community Member

I think it really depends on how good Bulldozer is, if they're terrible compared to Intel then expect Intel to raise/keep prices the same.
  8. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

Im not sure if you've had a laptop with a 17-18 inch screen before, but my experience with them is that they're too big to be realistically portable, and they become a desktop. Except you spent more than a desktop and got less bang for your buck.

Unless you're used to carrying around something that large, either go smaller for the portable aspect or go desktop for the performance/cost.
  9. Offline

Angelo Community Member

And they heat up like a nuclear core.
  10. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Aye the predictions aren't very good at all, but we'll see, there's too much speculation already. As long as they can grab a segment of the market with them there will be pricedrops at least.
  11. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Sandybridge-E is out November supposedly and Bulldozer getting pushed back and the lack of information makes me slightly worried they think their chip isn't as brilliant as it might have been made out to be.