No swimming in SWTOR

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Allstar, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

SWTORs failure gets close by the day

[IMG]

HAHAHAHA

Really nice "next Gen" MMO they're developing there.

Compare this with the extensive underwater stuff we'll be seeing in GW2, which has effectively already confirmed that we'll have a different skillset for underwater combat

[IMG]

Lets look at their arguments..

"Animation"
    How much of their budget did they spend on animation? Its estimated that the budget for SWTOR is in excess of $200m.
    They probably spent the entire animation budget on dialogues, that's why running animations are so shit.
    we've also all seen the laughable lightsaber combat, and having stuff like that be so poor in a STAR WARS GAME is unforgiveable

"AI"
    And they're citing that three-dimensional AI programming is hard? Games have been doing stuff like that since the 90's! Its not as if they're even programming half the crap in the game anyway as they're using a pre-built engine.
    WoW had 3D AI at launch, on a game engine they built themselves.

Also note that the lack of three-dimensional AI combat extends to their space combat, leaving space combat as little more that a rail-shooter minigame.

The point is that this is a basic feature, and it's not going to be in game. Even though this particular feature is in pretty much every other game and the best excuse they can provide is "it's hard to implement". The fact that they're implementing advanced VA and Dialog Trees makes it WORSE.

YOU DO NOT IMPLEMENT ADVANCED DIALOG TREES BEFORE YOU HAVE BASIC FEATURES.

Whats next? No jumping?

Anybody who even attempts to defend this really needs help, and I pity anyone who is still holding high hops for SWTOR. I really do.
  2. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Don't care about the mobs, atleast crossing a little pond or river would be nice to swim ... couldn't care about underwater zones or quests though as I usually hate them anyway in any FPS or MMO...
  3. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Without swimming, there's no immersion factor....

badum tish!
  4. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

No swimming for both ships and characters or just ships ?

For the record this is what they did in kotor underwater wise. I dont recall underwater ships.

5. Offline

Vissarion Veteran BOON

aion doesn't have swim either, and its one of the best ga.....oh nvm...
  6. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

this is wrong. WoW did not have Mobs swiming in the water and fighting at launch this was added much later. In fact mobs bugged out and freaked out just like daniel is saying instead, which looked like shit.

Btw the Swtor bashing is getting old, the game is not even out yet. And i dont see why lasers and lightsabers would be oki under water, what would the purpose of this be? If i understood your OP you are basically bashing a game completely just because they did not implement swimming at the launch of the game honestly who the fuck cares! You can't jump in GW1 btw, did that make the game shit to you? The space combat is a mini game. The game is not centered around it at all, it is meant to be a rail shooter nothing more.

I will be getting this game and probably playing it until Warhammer 40k online comes out unless it sucks massively, which i very much doubt. The story will keep me playing for a long time. unlike GW2 this game actually has a soul to me Gw2 is a hack and slash game, i will get that from diablo 3 when it gets released.
  7. Offline

Tal The Architect

Well actually I'm pretty sure there was fish/crabs that you could combat in water during the early days of WoW. In fact I'm almost certain there were stuff like that in Westfall/Redridge.

WAIT, MURLOCS.
  8. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

yeah your right the murlocs fish and crabs and other water animals you could actually fight in the water but the humanoids would just evade or stop agroing you

also aion had no swiming and the new final fantasy mmo has no swiming either if im not wrong? dont get the shit storm about this its all over the derpderp swtor forums also.
  9. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

dont see the big fuzz either, swimming in TERA isn't exactly spectacular either as you just float on the water. Aion you drowned (lol, now an invisible wall would've been better).. And only WoW has a big Underwater Zone with lotsa stuff in it, but tbh it remains annoying playing underwater :p
  10. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

EQ 1 & 2 have alot of underwater content; with complete submerged dungeons. Mazes with charming sirens; pretty hard stuff with short CD on the breathing buff on top of regular combats; and it was a good challenge back in 1999 despite the slowness of movements.

I dont think its a big deal either that swotor wont implement it at launch but opportunities to play in a different environment shouldn't be discarded if its done correctly.
  11. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

Underwater in wow was only cool when I was on my druid, seal form 4tw, rest of the time it was plain annoying :) It's a lame excuse, but tbh I don't see the big deal, it certainly wouldn't stop me playing the game the only MMO that has really done it properly recently is WoW, and we all love that soooo much?
  12. Offline

Mizou Community Member

i dont want to imagine eq2 boss fights without water... kicks ftmtfw
  13. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

just going to leave this here, and let us all think about it for a while.

Also, regarding the opening post:

Ok, swim is important. What about body-blocking? isn't that important ? GW2 is supposed to not have body blocking! and i can assure you that body blocking in gw1 was amazing... And yeah, gw1 didn't had jump! Also, GW1 had auto-follow, auto-attack target! (plus you didnt had to face the target to cast) Are these bad things ? Are these things that make the game bad ? Aion has flight, so that means all other games that come after it should have flight or be labeled as fail ? The only time i recall seeing anything close to swimming in the star wars movies was when luke crashed on yoda's hideout... SW universe can live without underwater combat imo :) that''s not the main selling point of the game!

Sometimes, actually most of the times, the golden design rule applies: less is more.

IMO, SWTOR will have success if they have a compelling story tied up to the leveling process, fast-paced combat system (like TR or GA) and end game content to keep both pveers and pvpeers busy...
  14. Online

Katiechops Guild Master

Ewoks don't do swiming so GTFO, np here, move along.
  15. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Chops likes his Ewok wet, he's lying.
  16. Offline

Tal The Architect

They swam in the movies. Nuff said.
  17. Offline

Agree Specter, however...

What about the whole obi-warn and the other chap swimming to the annoying guys with the big floppy ears and their underwater kingdom :p

edit: nerf tal
  18. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

that is several thousands of years after the TOR era, meaning we will have plenty of time to learn to swim
  19. Offline

hah very true :p
  20. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I think you're all missing the bigger picture here.

Its not just about a swimming mechanic. MMOs as a genre have prided themselves on exploration and (perceived) freedom of movement for a long time. Is it really okay, in 2011, that a "next-gen blockbuster" is continuing the trend of stripping these things away?

Are you really satisfied that MMOs are slowly stagnating into single-path-corridors-with-monsters? I'm not.

The magic of the genre is dying, GW2 can't come soon enough for me. Until then ..I guess I'll stick with EVE, because being an internet space terrorist is fun.